Game of the year?

Moose Milligan

I wouldn't have bet a plug nickel on their chances in this one with the way Kirby was pitching. That's as good a game as I've seen pitched in a while. He had everything going but they still managed it. A special club we have here. 

• Upvote 4

Yes, and for morale, the timing was huge.

Humbled by the Astros at home, then dominated by M's and Castillo in game 1.

Mariners riding an 8-game W streak into the Wild Card mix.

Tampa winning and creeping up on O's division lead.

Irvin stepping up, Cano and Bautista holding up to nail it. Bodes well for the 6-man rotation.

Another series to add to the unswept streak.

It was a statement game to say, we're not going away.

Looking forward to see if this win at least keeps them on keel for rest of the road trip, or lifts them past this rocky patch.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, now said:

Yes, and for morale, the timing was huge.

Humbled by the Astros at home, then dominated by M's and Castillo in game 1.

Mariners riding an 8-game W streak into the Wild Card mix.

Tampa winning and creeping up on O's division lead.

Irvin stepping up, Cano and Bautista holding up to nail it. Bodes well for the 6-man rotation.

Another series to add to the unswept streak.

It was a statement game to say, we're not going away.

Looking forward to see if this win at least keeps them on keel for rest of the road trip, or lifts them past this rocky patch.

I don't know if this takes some of the wind out of the Mariners sails but I sure hope so.  

• Upvote 2

Why doesn t someone with much more skill and intelligence make a list of maybe five games that have something about them amazing.  Put them up for a vote.   I would rank off hand the Yankee tony homer and this game tonight.  We should figure it out.

18 minutes ago, cheecks said:

We stole that one. 

You know, I read several remarks to that effect in the game thread, but it’s not like the Mariners were hitting the snot out of the ball.  It was a great pitchers’ duel and it was a matter of which team would find a way to eke our a run.  We did, and they didn’t.   We have Felix, and they don’t.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You know, I read several remarks to that effect in the game thread, but it’s not like the Mariners were hitting the snot out of the ball.  It was a great pitchers’ duel and it was a matter of which team would find a way to eke our a run.  We did, and they didn’t.   We have Felix, and they don’t.  

Bautista is a K machine, and that is a huge advantage in the free runner in extras era. But we definitely shoplifted that game.  That’s what makes it a good win!  Schadenfreude.

• Upvote 1