Top 10 Oriole International Prospects (My List)

RZNJ

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Actually a 16 year old DR kid for a few more days.      A few months younger than Ethan Salas.

5 homers.  3 homers and over a 1.000 OPS in August.   2nd largest bonus (600k?) after Almeyda.   

Good list. Mostly agree.

I’d have Sosa at 3. Pretty good production for an 18 yo in FCL.  That’s a tough place to hit.  I like his projectable frame too. He started to show it, but I think there is a lot more power in there. Pretty good K/BB tho the K rate is fairly high - as is with most of these guys. 

Estrada (pretty sure he’s been a fav or yours?) takes a hit and drops some for me. Still top 10 but below guys like Arias and Sosa. Had high hopes for him myself but seems like injuries have taken a toll and stalled his development.

The one noticeable missing name is Mordan. I’d have him in there at 7/8 (flip a coin between he and Estrada). Curious to see what he does at Delmarva to start next season. We’ll have a good idea about him by June. 

I’d also have to add Fernando Peguero in there too at the back end. Realize he’s 18 and still in the DSL but those numbers are really nice. He should at least be in the conversation.

Almeyda - Sheesh. For such a highly touted, big bonus guy, he’s someone I’m watching closely coming into next spring as he presumably repeats DSL. I realize, he young and there’s plenty of time, but pretty disappointing output from him. 

2 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

Almeyda is listed on the FCL Orioles roster (7 day IL)

That’s probably because the DSL season is almost over (ends Tuesday). He’s a US citizen (dual citizen actually), so they probably have him in Sarasota working out aka developmental time.  

I don't know anything beyond the box score, but Estrada has had a bad year. Bencosme, who you didn't list, also had a bad year. Maikol Hernandez too. Hopefully some of these other guys turn into studs, because three of the ones that I was interested in didn't progress at all this year.

I am curious, do you think any of these Delmarva - Bowie arms fit? I feel like several should be above Estrada at this point, but maybe I'm just way too down on him. I'm thinking about Moises Chace, Jean Pinto, Luis De Leon, Deivy Cruz, Juan Nunez and Yaqui Rivera.

I also assume Wandisson Charles' star has fallen with his bad Norfolk results, but figured I'd bring him up.

28 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I don't know anything beyond the box score, but Estrada has had a bad year. Bencosme, who you didn't list, also had a bad year. Maikol Hernandez too. Hopefully some of these other guys turn into studs, because three of the ones that I was interested in didn't progress at all this year.

I am curious, do you think any of these Delmarva - Bowie arms fit? I feel like several should be above Estrada at this point, but maybe I'm just way too down on him. I'm thinking about Moises Chace, Jean Pinto, Luis De Leon, Deivy Cruz, Juan Nunez and Yaqui Rivera.

I also assume Wandisson Charles' star has fallen with his bad Norfolk results, but figured I'd bring him up.

I’m presuming that this list is comprised of only guys the Orioles actually signed and wholly developed.  Just a hunch because several of the pitchers you mention were acquired by the Orioles and not originally signed by them.  I was working under the same premise too.  If you include these “outside” guys, Pinto and Rivera easily make the list. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

Good list. Mostly agree.

I’d have Sosa at 3. Pretty good production for an 18 yo in FCL.  That’s a tough place to hit.  I like his projectable frame too. He started to show it, but I think there is a lot more power in there. Pretty good K/BB tho the K rate is fairly high - as is with most of these guys. 

Estrada (pretty sure he’s been a fav or yours?) takes a hit and drops some for me. Still top 10 but below guys like Arias and Sosa. Had high hopes for him myself but seems like injuries have taken a toll and stalled his development.

The one noticeable missing name is Mordan. I’d have him in there at 7/8 (flip a coin between he and Estrada). Curious to see what he does at Delmarva to start next season. We’ll have a good idea about him by June. 

I’d also have to add Fernando Peguero in there too at the back end. Realize he’s 18 and still in the DSL but those numbers are really nice. He should at least be in the conversation.

Almeyda - Sheesh. For such a highly touted, big bonus guy, he’s someone I’m watching closely coming into next spring as he presumably repeats DSL. I realize, he young and there’s plenty of time, but pretty disappointing output from him. 

Not sure Almeyda was ever fully healthy.  I believe he had a procedure on his non throwing shoulder and is done for the year.   Estrada had a collision with another O’s player on defense and missed a lot of time.   I think Almeyda starts in the FCL next year and Estrada at Delmarva.  Mordan is a bat first guy who probably doesn’t stick at catcher.  That hurts.   Sosa could be higher.   I put Tavera higher based on a little better plate discipline and defense.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I assume this is just position prospects right? If not, you missed DeLeon for sure.

Yes.  DeLeon would belong on any top ten.  He’d probably be right behind Basallo.  Easier to get a better read on position prospects in the DSL leagues than pitchers, IMO.   

Just wanted the throw names like Liranzo out there and see if we could generate some discussion.  Hint. Hint.

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yes.  DeLeon would belong on any top ten.  He’d probably be right behind Basallo.  Easier to get a better read on position prospects in the DSL leagues than pitchers, IMO.   

Just wanted the throw names like Liranzo out there and see if we could generate some discussion.  Hint. Hint.

Haha, I've seen what Liranzo is doing for sure, especially power wise. In his last 111 PAs he's slashing .306/.460/.518/.977 with four homes and 19/19 K/BB. Very impressive for a kid who doesn't turn 17 for four more days.

So yes, good observation. Liranzo is certainly a good news story this year amongst the International players and while I'll need to talk to some folks before making any full assessment where he is a prospect, his size, bat speed, and plate discipline along with his age makes him very, very intriguing. He very well may be the best positional international prospect behind Basallo though Tavera has been pretty good in the FCL. Obviously Almeyda's injuries this year have made it very hard to judge him at all based on his stats, so you still have to consider him from the tools/potential side. Estrada also was limited by injuries so it's hard to know how much they've affected his production. 

Sosa and Leandro Arias have taken nice steps forward as well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2023 at 12:53 PM, RZNJ said:

1.  Samuel Basallo

2. Joshua Liranzo

3. Braylin Tavera

4. Thomas Sosa

5. Luis Almeyda

6. Luis DeLeon

7. Leandro Arias

8. Aron Estrada

9. Frederick Bencosme

10. Juan Nunez

Updated

On 8/20/2023 at 12:53 PM, RZNJ said:

Annotation of the changes in your August 20 list.

1.  Samuel Basallo (1)

2. Joshua Liranzo (2)

3. Braylin Tavera (4)

4. Thomas Sosa (7)

5. Luis Almeyda (3)

6. Luis DeLeon (—)

7. Leandro Arias (6)

8. Aron Estrada (5)

9. Frederick Bencosme (—)

10. Juan Nunez (—)

Off the list: De Los Santos (8), Benavides (9), Velasquez 10).  

My only real question is why you decided to add Bencosme and drop De Los Santos.  Both played about the same after August 20.  I think either choice is defensible, I’m just wondering what made you change your previous choice.