John Angelos continues to remind us how awful he is

Sports Guy

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Right now it's just because they've expunged all of the post-arbitration from the roster and it's full of 1 year vet deals, pending FA's they traded for, and a bunch of pre-arb guys. It'll change as arb guys get to the table. 

This just further cements the reality that we all kinda knew. They likely have to pick THE guy (one guy) to extend on a $300MM deal and probably deal off the Rutschmans & Hendersons as they get more expensive and approach FA.

Think of 2016... Machado & Britton were their valuable pieces. They each had 2 years left pre-FA at that point and their window appeared to be closing. The rest of the division was on the rise and the O's had plateaued a bit. Knowing full well they weren't going to re-sign Machado, and that they weren't likely to be even the 3rd best team in the division in 2017 - they should have traded Machado at that point and cashed in significantly so that the next dip (the same dip that the big market endless wallet teams never really have to experience) wasn't as painful. Machado & Britton together could have restocked the system. Theoretically, anyway. Not sure the Duquette baseball ops group would have maximized the return but it sure as hell wouldn't have been Kremer, Bannon, Diaz, Pop and Valera. And uh... who? Dillon Tate? Can't remember the Britton deal vividly.

Does it suck to have to trade superstars before they're going to 100% walk for a comp pick? Yeah.

Is it really the only way to remain competitive throughout? According to Angelos, yeah. 

Are there inequities in the fundamental structure of baseball? Yeah.

Is it ever going to change? LOL no.

If the Angelos family is going to publicly whine about these inequities, then they should get outta the kitchen.

Or just shut up and swim in their basement full of money like Scrooge McDuck. 

Posts like this are why the Angelos family knows they can just rape and pillage the team til the end of time. Nothing they can do about the state of baseball! Yeah that's it. Is what it is! It's just the "inequities" of baseball rearing their ugly head again! 

It's amazing how SAN DIEGO can do it, but Baltimore can't! Remind me again about that huge San Diego market? You people are so far gone. Just like the franchise. 

• Downvote 4

16 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I don't think you've read many of Can's posts if you think that his opinion.

By this time, just about everyone knows that the Orioles are not a poor, penny-pinching team.  Everyone knows the team makes a lot of money and chooses not to spend it.  

I just quoted a post that said the dead opposite. And LOL if you think that "everyone" believes it. 

I know COC is usually critical I was just responding to what he said in that post and how he (and everyone else) uses "small market" these days. That was NEVER the case until the last 5 years. When they started lubing the fanbase up for the future. 

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

Tampa has been pretty successful with this business model.    And...unless Elias has a piece of ownership, I don't see him sticking around very long.   Hopefully, there will be a line of succession where someone else can step in and continue doing what Elias has been doing. 

Tampa extended Franco and their payroll is significantly higher than ours. 

I am going to start a GoFundMe page for John and his lovely wife. He is losing money and we on the OH need to contribute something to this almost broke and potentially homeless man. Generosity is deeply appreciated. 

Going to try to get Roland Gift to sing to him  To ease his pain.

Johnny we are sorry Won't you come  on home  and sign the lease.

https://youtu.be/2H5Se-9XAVE

Edited by Going Underground

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And the O's are under no obligation to pay him for those years.

I don't think they were disingenuous at all.

I think everyone that would bother to read the article understands how free agency works.

That is correct, I don't think I implied otherwise.

I seriously doubt the average NYT reader understands the nuances of MLB free agency, arbitration, etc.

I think it would be much clearer had they simply added a single sentence that much of their current core can be maintained for 4-5 more years based on MLB service time and FA rules. As written it definitely seems to imply that everyone on the current roster will disappear in two years.

19 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Who the hell are you even talking to? Have you not read a single post in this thread? Or any of the other myriad of John Angelos-related thread here lately?

I've been reading this site for 20 years buddy. I literally just quoted someone who said this was just the result of the "inequities of baseball". and could quote a million other similar posts if I wanted to. 

1 minute ago, TradeAngelos said:

I just quoted a post that said the dead opposite. And LOL if you think that "everyone" believes it. 

I know COC is usually critical I was just responding to what he said in that post and how he (and everyone else) uses "small market" these days. That was NEVER the case until the last 5 years. When they started lubing the fanbase up for the future. 

They've been using the term "small market" for longer than that, and while technically it's true, with revenue sharing in baseball everyone is making money.  And you're right, saying "everyone" knows that is an absolute.  More like 99% of people know that.  You're yelling at clouds here and insulting most of the rest of the board by acting like you're the only enlightened one.  Just about everyone who follows the team at this point knows what kind of people they are.

3 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

I've been reading this site for 20 years buddy. I literally just quoted someone who said this was just the result of the "inequities of baseball". and could quote a million other similar posts if I wanted to. 

You agree with virtually every poster in this thread, but you find two words in someone's post to take out of context and whine about how you're the only one who thinks JA is s garbage owner and that "all you" here at the OH are blind.

You're Facebook commenter... go back there and tell them all how smart you are.

• Upvote 2

Here we are enjoying one of the best seasons the club has ever seen, finally lifting the clouds on years of abject misery, and this guy just can't help but try to ruin it by NOT. SHUTTING. UP. 

I think we should ask Oakland fans where they're getting all those "SELL" shirts printed up so that we can do some in orange (or white on black, for City Connect games). 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

They've been using the term "small market" for longer than that, and while technically it's true, with revenue sharing in baseball everyone is making money.  And you're right, saying "everyone" knows that is an absolute.  More like 99% of people know that.  You're yelling at clouds here and insulting most of the rest of the board by acting like you're the only enlightened one.  Just about everyone who follows the team at this point knows what kind of people they are.

They absolutely have NOT been using "small market" that long. It used to be "middle market" or something like that until recently. And right, no one thinks like this I'm just making it up. These people are STILL all over the place. You want me to pollute this thread with endless OH poster quotes saying essentially the same thing? I won't torture you like that, but I could. 

6 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Here we are enjoying one of the best seasons the club has ever seen, finally lifting the clouds on years of abject misery, and this guy just can't help but try to ruin it by NOT. SHUTTING. UP. 

I think we should ask Oakland fans where they're getting all those "SELL" shirts printed up so that we can do some in orange (or white on black, for City Connect games). 

The local press loves the team and GM but have really gone after John this year. Peter used to call up the Suns sports editor after a critical article and threaten to stop advertising in the paper.

Orioles reset: The Athletics are a cautionary tale. John Angelos should avoid making similar mistakes. | ANALYSIS
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-reset-baltimore-oakland-similarities-20230821-4gouko5etrapzewyv6yivhymim-story.html

Can someone explain to me how money works?

Like, hypothetically if a team can afford a $150M payroll in 2016.

What would change about the nature of money seven years later so that the team can no longer afford that payroll?

Looks like we were a top 10 payroll that year.

Edited by Aglets
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

They absolutely have NOT been using "small market" that long. It used to be "middle market" or something like that until recently. And right, no one thinks like this I'm just making it up. These people are STILL all over the place. You want me to pollute this thread with endless OH poster quotes saying essentially the same thing? I won't torture you like that, but I could. 

Then go to Twitter/X/Elon's Cesspool and fight with President Abraham Lincoln and other people who actually disagree with you. 

Also you're conflating two separate things. One issue is that the O's are at an economic disadvantage in MLB's system compared to the bigger markets. That's just reality. It's truth.

BUT... it's a separate issue from whether they can afford to extend their young talent. They clearly have the revenue to significantly increase the payroll.

You're taking the people who acknowledge the economic disparity of different baseball clubs and take it as if they're defending ownership. That's not the case.

• Upvote 4