Arm injury for Bautista?

Sports Guy

So Cano got the first shot. MASN people were all saying committee. After the game Hyde said he will do what he's done when Felix isn't available while putting guys in "pockets where they can succeed." Sounds like committee with matchups being a factor. I wonder if Hyde will be extra careful to keep Cano fresh. If I'm Hyde I don't do any multi innings and avoid back to back as much as possible as long as we have the lead in the standings.

If you had asked me 3 weeks ago, I would have absolutely said Felix was our most indispensable player.  Because at the time he was literally the only guy out there you could depend on (well, maybe Coloumbe as well).

Since then, Cano seems to have gotten his mojo back, Perez looks a bit more like the guy from last year, and Webb has been a godsend.  And then there are still guys like Wells and Hall to consider.

There's no question it weakens the pen, but it's not as dire as it would have seemed a few weeks back.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

So they had to get a lead first, right?

Whatever man. However they got the lead in every single playoff game, every single WS game, year after year... Mo Rivera got handed the ball in the 9th to close out the game. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

Day 1 post-Bautista: the world did not, in fact, end.  Though we were playing the Rockies, so this might not count.

Keeping in mind, Bautista's injury probably didn't affect tonight's game.   He had thrown two days in a row and 3 out of 4, so he wasn't going to pitch tonight even if he hadn't gotten hurt.

In fact, if he hadn't gotten hurt, we wouldn't have had him tonight and we wouldn't have had DL Hall either so someone else (Perez?) would have had to do what DL did.

So I consider tomorrow the real start of the post-Felix portion of 2023.  

• Upvote 1

I'm buying this committee business about as far as I can throw Bautista.  It's a committee consisting of Cano until he starts blowing games.  We have some depth getting healthy (Wells, Means, Hall) so hopefully they give us enough of a boost down the stretch to minimize the drop-off in the 8th inning.

Edited by Hallas

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Keeping in mind, Bautista's injury probably didn't affect tonight's game.   He had thrown two days in a row and 3 out of 4, so he wasn't going to pitch tonight even if he hadn't gotten hurt.

In fact, if he hadn't gotten hurt, we wouldn't have had him tonight and we wouldn't have had DL Hall either so someone else (Perez?) would have had to do what DL did.

So I consider tomorrow the real start of the post-Felix portion of 2023.  

You're not wrong.  Though, it's not like our bullpen after Bautista is the Rockies pen.

7 hours ago, Hallas said:

I'm buying this committee business about as far as I can throw Bautista.  It's a committee consisting of Cano until he starts blowing games.  We have some depth getting healthy (Wells, Means, Hall) so hopefully they give us enough of a boost down the stretch to minimize the drop-off in the 8th inning.

I think that’s pretty accurate. 

Wells and Hall are going to add back that depth that we’ve lost by having everyone move back a spot in the bullpen. 

On an unrelated note, I didn’t know I needed a John Deere backhoe until I tried to quote your post. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think that’s pretty accurate. 

Wells and Hall are going to add back that depth that we’ve lost by having everyone move back a spot in the bullpen. 

On an unrelated note, I didn’t know I needed a John Deere backhoe until I tried to quote your post. 

Hall looked really good last night. Might need to locate the changeup a little better, but it's at 85 while his fastball is 98-99. That will be crazy good if he can throw quality pitches. 

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

Hall looked really good last night. Might need to locate the changeup a little better, but it's at 85 while his fastball is 98-99. That will be crazy good if he can throw quality pitches. 

I like the differential between his fastball and change up but when he had that batter 0-2 then went 3-2 I wasn’t thrilled.  Overall he looked pretty good though.