Jack Flaherty

Roy Firestone

I'm very interested to see how he pitches today and going forward. He told Hyde and others his arm didnt feel right. With the recent Bautista injury, the Orioles would do well to monitor Flaherty and not allow him to go too deep in any game unless he's 100%. A healthy effective Flaherty could be  very useful to the Orioles for the rest of the season, and maybe even the playoffs.

26 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I'm very interested to see how he pitches today and going forward. He told Hyde and others his arm didnt feel right. With the recent Bautista injury, the Orioles would do well to monitor Flaherty and not allow him to go too deep in any game unless he's 100%. A healthy effective Flaherty could be  very useful to the Orioles for the rest of the season, and maybe even the playoffs.

Unless you have inside info we don't, I didn't get the impression that it was a health issue.

4 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Questioning someone's "mental makeup," is code for "I have no idea what I'm talking about and I have not a clue into what it takes to pitch in the Major Leagues." None of us, with the possible exception of @Roy Firestone, know Jack Flaherty personally. 

My son was a HS classmate, and is his friend. I dont know Jack well and wouldn't be able to tell you anything about his mental makeup.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I saw a group of Cardinals fans online saying that’s the “same old Jack” and questioning his mental make-up.  Figure they might know more than us, but I definitely am questioning that trade even though I was in favor of it. 

My neighbor is a diehard Cards fan. He says JF’s issue has always been something physical, as in when he doesn’t feel completely optimal they’d find out that something was nagging him. I don’t know how to not describe that as mental but I also can understand someone not wanting to compete against the best in the world when they don’t feel right. However, not an excuse for him and I certainly would like to see him and the rest of the team do the best they can with what they have. That’s part of being a pro. They won’t always have their best stuff. The good players figure out how to compete and succeed in those moments.

I’m hoping JF bears down a bit today and gives the O’s the start that he’s capable of this afternoon. A sweep against the Rocks would be real nice. 

3 minutes ago, banks703 said:

My neighbor is a diehard Cards fan. He says JF’s issue has always been something physical, as in when he doesn’t feel completely optimal they’d find out that something was nagging him. I don’t know how to not describe that as mental but I also can understand someone not wanting to compete against the best in the world when they don’t feel right. However, not an excuse for him and I certainly would like to see him and the rest of the team do the best they can with what they have. That’s part of being a pro. They won’t always have their best stuff. The good players figure out how to compete and succeed in those moments.

I’m hoping JF bears down a bit today and gives the O’s the start that he’s capable of this afternoon. A sweep against the Rocks would be real nice. 

Sounds like some of the stuff they said about Fred Lynn.

58 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Questioning someone's "mental makeup," is code for "I have no idea what I'm talking about and I have not a clue into what it takes to pitch in the Major Leagues." None of us, with the possible exception of @Roy Firestone, know Jack Flaherty personally. 

Is this true for a golfer as well? If a guy has the ability to put himself in contention but consistently folds in the final round, or lets one bad shot lead to many bad shots, are you not supposed to question his mental makeup?

I am not saying Flaherty has a poor mental makeup. I’m just saying it’s not out of line to question that of a professional athlete.

There are a lot of guys out there with a ton of ability, but it is often the mental makeup that separates them.

28 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Is this true for a golfer as well? If a guy has the ability to put himself in contention but consistently folds in the final round, or lets one bad shot lead to many bad shots, are you not supposed to question his mental makeup?

I am not saying Flaherty has a poor mental makeup. I’m just saying it’s not out of line to question that of a professional athlete.

There are a lot of guys out there with a ton of ability, but it is often the mental makeup that separates them.

You can do what ever you want. It's your life. If you want to question his mental makeup or his competitiveness, go ahead. What I am saying is that you may not have an adequate data set upon which to base your assumptions. Best to acknowledge that first. Then fire away with whatever questions you might have. It is an internet message board, after all.