Kjerstad and Baker called up

Brian88

2 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

Mountcastle not going on IL yet either means its not as bad as thought last night and he's day to day or they are still evaluating. Hopefully, he'll avoid the IL. If he does end up going on it, McKenna or Cowser will probably be called back up. Really wish we had a RH 1B that could replace Mountcastle if needed. Although at least for the next 4-5 games we are facing RH pitchers.

We do have a RH 1B, Coby Mayo. He’s hit just as well as Kjerstad in AAA.

If Mountcastle has to go on the IL, they should call Mayo up once we are past all the RH starting pitchers. It will probably be McKenna (since Mountcastle to IL would allow skipping the 10 day waiting), but Mayo makes more sense. 

Also makes sense to give it a bit of time to see if an IL stint is needed for Mountcastle. They wouldn’t use either Mayo or McKenna much in this series. 

30 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Kjerstad is postseason eligible by replacing Vavra. For Mayo to be postseason eligible for replacing Mountcastle, Mountcastle would need to spend 10 days on IL before the postseason. So they could conceivably wait until the HOU series to make a call on whether Mountcastle needs to go on IL. 

There is no concern about post season eligibility. Anybody who was in the system on August 31 (Mayo, Holliday, etc.) could also replace either Akin or Dillon Tate, as both are on the 60-day IL and would otherwise be eligible.

This is why postseason eligibility isn't a big deal as long as the player is in the system on August 31.

See here for more info.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, interloper said:

Remember, you can always just right click to copy an image on, say, Twitter, and then just paste here. 

85i27rsd o

Thanks. I was having trouble getting the message board to convert it to an image. I dinner know if its because I'm on my phone, but it seems like a 50/50 crap shoot to get it to work as intended and show pictures. I seem to have better luck from my desktop.

23 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think Baker on paper matched us better than Vespi with the upcoming competition. 

Baker's AAA numbers don't look too hot, but I like having him here for this series. I theorized in another thread that the reason Irvin was demoted was to have a more playoff-like bullpen for this Rays series, where you drop your bulk innings guys and have a lot of short-stint K guys. 

If Baker does well this month there's a chance he could finish ahead of Irvin/Gibson/Flaherty in October IP. 

52 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I wonder if Vavra was told that his shoulder was hurting really bad or he might be DFA'ed?  So odd that he went on the 60 day IL that quick.  😝

How many games are left in the MiLB season? If there's no chance he's on the ML roster anymore this season and he's going to be hurt for 2-3 more weeks, I think it only makes since. I think it is a clever use of the rules.

3 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Kjerstad is postseason eligible by replacing Vavra. For Mayo to be postseason eligible for replacing Mountcastle, Mountcastle would need to spend 10 days on IL before the postseason. So they could conceivably wait until the HOU series to make a call on whether Mountcastle needs to go on IL. 

That's great news that he's postseason eligible.

I mean I like McKenna and he provided some fun plays on defense recently but Kjerstad's bat is a major upgrade.  So long as Mullins and Hicks are healthy.