Celebrate the playoff clinch?

Winning_Season

22 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

This post kind of exemplifies my concern. The mind set here seems to be that it's time to celebrate because they've done something. They haven't done anything yet. There's no resting on your laurels. Still have games to play and a Championship to win.

These guys collectively have won more titles (at many different levels) than any 100 people on this message board combined. They will be excited today and back to business tomorrow. The idea that they suddenly won't work as hard is nonsense.

Just now, yark14 said:

Not sure if you've ever played sports or have been on a team....but moral and cohesiveness matter A TON.  Days like this help solidify a team.

You're acting like the team has the mindset that they clinched it and there's no need to push for more wins/championships/etc.  I guarantee you the truth is the exact opposite.  These kids are hungry.

This team already has team cohesion. That's what makes Brandon Hyde and his staff so good. It's the culture and the personalities behind the scenes, long before this point of the season.

Yes, I've been on 3 undefeated baseball teams and been part of a football team that won all but 1 game of the season.  I've also been on average mediocre teams that shot their load too soon. I know what it means to be part of a group who wants to achieve something.

Even if I didn't have that experience, you could still observe... You never saw Tom Brady and the Patriots having champaign parties before actually winning the Superbowl. There's a reason teams like that always won championships, and it's definitely NOT because they celebrated prematurely.

But whatever. It's done now. They had some fun. Brandon Hyde has a pretty good pulse on the locker room culture, so hopefully they will come out focused tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

If you think the Orioles are going to rest on their laurels and not be focused then you haven’t been paying attention to this team this year.

Like someone said earlier, the Braves literally have celebrated twice and they’ve won a World Series and easily have their division.

Let the guys enjoy an accomplishment. It won’t change a thing about how they approach the rest of the season. Kinda silly to insinuate it would.

Yeah, all the hand-wringing we see here is crazy. This team could be up 10-0 in the 9th inning of Game 4 of the World Series, leading the series 3-0, and somebody here would be upset that a player smiled in the dugout.

"HE'S NOT FOCUSED!"

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I saw the way they were celebrating. They acted like they had just won the World Series when they really haven't won anything at all yet. Not even the division. That concerns me because it's important for a team to stay hungry, thirsty, and focused.

Psychologically, an event like this can cause a team to be complacent and they have a game tomorrow against the reigning World Series Champions. It seems like a bad idea to me to expend so much energy partying when you still have alot of business that needs to be taken care of.

I'm glad the guys get to be happy and know that they're going to the playoffs. But that's all it is: I ticket into the playoffs. It means nothing if they don't keep playing up to their potential.

The last thing you want is a team coming out flat with 2 weeks remaining in the season during a tight race to win the Division. The difference between winning the #1 seed and just being a wildcard, could be the difference between being eliminated in the 1st Wildcard round, or getting an easy pass into the Division Series.

It's okay.  I heard that Hyde has group snarl scheduled right before batting practice tomorrow to erase any vestige of happiness from the minds of these entitled, ungrateful impostors. 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, 24fps said:

It's okay.  I heard that Hyde has group snarl scheduled right before batting practice tomorrow to erase any vestige of happiness from the minds of these entitled, ungrateful impostors. 

It's Okay. I heard that OH has group ignore functions able to set right before batting practice now to erase any vestige of snarkiness from the minds of an entitled, indignant troll.

12 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Hyde tomorrow morning:
dazed-and-confused-air-raid.gif

FWIW, one of the best movies ever.

46 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

This post kind of exemplifies my concern. The mind set here seems to be that it's time to celebrate because they've done something. They haven't done anything yet. There's no resting on your laurels. Still have games to play and a Championship to win.

If the O's win the division and lose in the first round while giving their all, I will count this season a success.  This team has quite a few flaws, but desire to win is not one of them.  Heck if Tampa somehow beats the O's out for the division, it's still a success to me. 

25 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Yeah, all the hand-wringing we see here is crazy. This team could be up 10-0 in the 9th inning of Game 4 of the World Series, leading the series 3-0, and somebody here would be upset that a player smiled in the dugout.

"HE'S NOT FOCUSED!"

Baseball is a sport to be played with robotic stoicism.  If you are enjoying, you're doing it wrong!

25 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

This team already has team cohesion. That's what makes Brandon Hyde and his staff so good. It's the culture and the personalities behind the scenes, long before this point of the season.

Yes, I've been on 3 undefeated baseball teams and been part of a football team that won all but 1 game of the season.  I've also been on average mediocre teams that shot their load too soon. I know what it means to be part of a group who wants to achieve something.

Even if I didn't have that experience, you could still observe... You never saw Tom Brady and the Patriots having champaign parties before actually winning the Superbowl. There's a reason teams like that always won championships, and it's definitely NOT because they celebrated prematurely.

But whatever. It's done now. They had some fun. Brandon Hyde has a pretty good pulse on the locker room culture, so hopefully they will come out focused tomorrow.

Every team is baseball this every year. Including the team that ultimately goes on to the World Series. These are elite, professional athletes. They know how to conduct themselves. They know how to play the game. They certainly have a much firmer grasp of this situation than any of us.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I saw the way they were celebrating. They acted like they had just won the World Series when they really haven't won anything at all yet. Not even the division. That concerns me because it's important for a team to stay hungry, thirsty, and focused.

Psychologically, an event like this can cause a team to be complacent and they have a game tomorrow against the reigning World Series Champions. It seems like a bad idea to me to expend so much energy partying when you still have alot of business that needs to be taken care of.

I'm glad the guys get to be happy and know that they're going to the playoffs. But that's all it is: I ticket into the playoffs. It means nothing if they don't keep playing up to their potential.

The last thing you want is a team coming out flat with 2 weeks remaining in the season during a tight race to win the Division. The difference between winning the #1 seed and just being a wildcard, could be the difference between being eliminated in the 1st Wildcard round, or getting an easy pass into the Division Series.

I have zero worries that celebrating making the playoffs will cause them to lose focus on their larger goals.  Let them enjoy it - I did.  And if they happen to falter in the last two weeks, this celebration will have nothing to do with it IMO.

BALTIMORE — An uncertain assembly of Baltimore Orioles in ski goggles and still-creased orange T-shirts slowly formed a circle, the players holding champagne bottles in their hands, waiting for a signal. Then, from the corner, came a pop. Then, from nearer the middle, another. Then another. “You guys got to relax,” Aaron Hicks said, chuckling quietly as he ambled toward them like a proud and knowing uncle. “You’re not supposed to pop them yet.”

“This is the first step,” Orioles Manager Brandon Hyde told his team as a few more corks popped around him. “We’re going to keep doing this.”

https://wapo.st/45ROcpt

1 hour ago, Sanity Check said:

I saw signs in the background of the celebration that said, "Drink Responsibly", so I think we're okay.  

Do we get a "B" lineup tomorrow, just for one game?  I'm wondering.....

We better not because we are going!!

I am VERY torn on the celebrating. At first I was turned off by it, but after reading some of the quotes from especially players who had to endure the last 4-5 years like Mullins, Santander, etc. I was a little more indifferent. Some of it was a bit over the top though. What will the celebration be like when they win the division? Or the ALDS, etc?

The main thing is that Hyde keeps them focused and motivated because they have a great shot to win the division which would be huge.