More Angelos as the fly in the ointment content

Yardball85

11 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Could be a Cleveland Browns type situation where he moves the team and MLB gives us an expansion team to replace it.

Plus Nashville already has its own potential ownership and local consortium aiming for its own expansion franchise 

Led by real estate magnate John Loar and with involvement of Eddie George, Dave Dombrowski, Dave Stewart, Tony LaRussa, .. Music City Baseball has been in place now for 2 years. 

https://theathletic.com/4085693/2023/01/16/nashville-mlb-expansion-team/

There are several reasons the Orioles won’t be allowed to move to Nashville or anywhere else.  They have a very respected ballpark with an additional $600 million available to modernize the park.  This isn’t like Oakland that just couldn’t come up with a modern ballpark.  It would be a black eye on the sport if they were allowed to be moved.  

The biggest reason is MLB doesn’t want John Angelos as an owner in the long term.  They want ownership with solid financials other than the operation of their franchise.  John Angelos had no other resource for income.  Trust me MLB wants to get rid of him as much as we do.  He is just being allowed to run the franchise because the owner is incapacitated.  That will resolve itself sooner rather than later.  

10 minutes ago, accinfo said:

There are several reasons the Orioles won’t be allowed to move to Nashville or anywhere else.  They have a very respected ballpark with an additional $600 million available to modernize the park.  This isn’t like Oakland that just couldn’t come up with a modern ballpark.  It would be a black eye on the sport if they were allowed to be moved.  

The biggest reason is MLB doesn’t want John Angelos as an owner in the long term.  They want ownership with solid financials other than the operation of their franchise.  John Angelos had no other resource for income.  Trust me MLB wants to get rid of him as much as we do.  He is just being allowed to run the franchise because the owner is incapacitated.  That will resolve itself sooner rather than later.  

As long as Peter Angelos is alive JA will get to run the Orioles trying to think of new ways to extort money from the state of Maryland and the fans. The one holdup is the wife Georgia could inherit the team (no estate taxes for the spouse) and it will remain business as usual.

It might take until the both of JA's parents pass until MLB can force a sale of the Orioles. And I'm not going to get hung up on the new owner being local. Look at what that got us the past 30 years.

With OPACY the team isn't moving, so let's just get the best owner who won't be afraid to spend more on payroll and won't interfere with the baseball side of the operation.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

As long as Peter Angelos is alive JA will get to run the Orioles trying to think of new ways to extort money from the state of Maryland and the fans. The one holdup is the wife Georgia could inherit the team (no estate taxes for the spouse) and it will remain business as usual.

It might take until the both of JA's parents pass until MLB can force a sale of the Orioles. And I'm not going to get hung up on the new owner being local. Look at what that got us the past 30 years.

With OPACY the team isn't moving, so let's just get the best owner who won't be afraid to spend more on payroll and won't interfere with the baseball side of the operation.

This is my fear. She'll become owner and allow JA to keep "running" the team as quasi-owner.

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is my fear. She'll become owner and allow JA to keep "running" the team as quasi-owner.

Does Georgia have to be approved by the majority of ML owners in order to be the next owner or could the sale be forced ?  Is MLB membership as an owner an inherited right? 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

During the Bros lawsuit it came out that Georgia had commissioned someone to look for buyers and one was found. John stepped in and stopped it. I can only assume because if PA dies, ownership passes to Georgia and she gets the step up in valuation so they dodge most Capital gains. I think JA is holding the sale post PA, over the politicians head re: increasing the $600 M so JA gets to build a monument to his ego at Camden Corner. They won't do it so JA sells ASA PA dies.

57 minutes ago, waroriole said:

No. Remember Rachel Phelps inherited the Indians from her dead husband. 

From the Athletic 

“ Peter Angelos is 93 and reportedly incapacitated. Under the MLB constitution, a spouse or lineal descendant who inherits a club is subject to 50 percent approval from the other owners. A prospective owner who is no relation — Steve Cohen when he bought for the Metsfrom the Wilpon family, for example — must meet a higher standard: 75 percent.”

https://theathletic.com/4170503/2023/02/09/reds-orioles-ownership-future-control/?source=user_shared_article

JA is maximizing his extorsion efforts in the hopes he can secure some part of the overall development plan.  That way, if forced to sell, he'll have at least secured something to do going forward.  Because, my guess is, PA will pass shortly after the stadium deal finally gets done.

Edited by Ripken