More Angelos as the fly in the ointment content

Yardball85

He's actually employing Elias to enact the strategy I told you I thought he was. And I don't even think it's a bad idea.

Tank... stock the farm... Get the high production years... Trade them in ARB.. Restock the farm... Repeat.

Repeat... preferably without the tanking.

His problem is he seems a little too dull witted and/or narcissistic to shut up and go about his business.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, owknows said:

He's actually employing Elias to enact the strategy I told you I thought he was. And I don't even think it's a bad idea.

Tank... stock the farm... Get the high production years... Trade them in ARB.. Restock the farm... Repeat.

Repeat... preferably without the tanking.

His problem is he seems a little too dull witted and/or narcissistic to shut up and go about his business.

EXACTLY!   Just shut up and let the people that know what they are doing run the team.  Even if they do the "restock" thing to a certain extent, you CAN still lock up some of your key players.

• Upvote 1

I’d also appreciate it if someone could summarize the key points, since I can’t open it.  In any event, we don’t really know how accurate the Forbes numbers are, even though they’re the only numbers we really have to work with.   There’s certainly little doubt in my mind that the O’s were extremely profitable in 2019 and 2021-23, and probably lost money in 2020, as Forbes says.  

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

EXACTLY!   Just shut up and let the people that know what they are doing run the team.  Even if they do the "restock" thing to a certain extent, you CAN still lock up some of your key players.

If the Orioles fully commit to the Rays model of team building I'm ok with it, but even the Rays have given a contract extensions to their young talent. The burden is on JA to prove he isn't going to screw it up and stay out of Elias' way.

This constant whining to the press isn't very reassuring, but I'll settle for him talking over taking actions to damage the franchise.

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If the Orioles fully commit to the Rays model of team building I'm ok with it, but even the Rays have given a contract extensions to their young talent. The burden is on JA to prove he isn't going to screw it up and stay out of Elias' way.

This constant whining to the press isn't very reassuring, but I'll settle for him talking over taking actions to damage the franchise.

I think that's the direction I'd take the strategy. But with some discipline... If you can extend guys who are emerging, or whose emergence you believe is certain, on team favorable terms.. then do it. Else... trade them in ARB and restock.

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Pretty sure that John Angelos would point to Wander Franco being a chomo as a reason not to extend young players.  Just a wild hunch.

• Upvote 1

I found most of this  pretty familiar. Here's an exception: "It’s not my job to predict payroll.” Really,? Whose job is it t to budget and plan future player expenses? And what exactly is John's job? I thought it was to extract money from the taxpayers, but he just hired a guy to do that full-time. What's left for John, other than to make stupid public statements? Maybe he's stumbled on his area of greatest strength: nothing.

• Upvote 1

Just now, spiritof66 said:

I found most of this  pretty familiar. Here's an exception: "It’s not my job to predict payroll.” Really,? Whose job is it t to budget and plan future player expenses? And what exactly is John's job? I thought it was to extract money from the taxpayers, but he just hired a guy to do that full-time. What's left for John, other than to make stupid public statements? Maybe he's stumbled on his area of greatest strength: nothing.

It’s his job to hire competent people to do things and let them do their jobs.  On the baseball side, he’s done that decently enough.  Elias is highly competent.  The business guys, I don’t know.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Pretty sure that John Angelos would point to Wander Franco being a chomo as a reason not to extend young players.  Just a wild hunch.

John Angelos would totally justify not signing an Orioles player to an early extension because of something totally unprecedented like the Wander Franco situation. Like there's an epidemic of MLB players ruining their careers over being a chomo or engaging in other criminal activity.

• Upvote 1

My genuine fear for the future of the franchise in Baltimore, is that this guy can't stop flapping his gums and jumping into the spotlight with statements that inflame his fanbase. He genuinely seems to have a tin ear. To the point where he risks becoming universally loathed. Even booed at public appearances.

And if that happens.. for a few years... he'll be loading up the trucks.

Success seems to be offsetting some of that sentiment for now... sure wish he'd shut up and enjoy the ride his good fortune in hiring is creating for him.

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

My genuine fear for the future of the franchise in Baltimore, is that this guy can't stop flapping his gums and jumping into the spotlight with statements that inflame his fanbase. He genuinely seems to have a tin ear. To the point where he risks becoming universally loathed. Even booed at public appearances.

And if that happens.. for a few years... he'll be loading up the trucks.

Success seems to be offsetting some of that sentiment for now... sure wish he'd shut up and enjoy the ride his good fortune in hiring is creating for him.

It's fine, he totes wants to sign a 30 year lease.

He said so.

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's not even that big a deal from a financial risk standpoint. They are just going to void the contract. They will be out maybe $3M vs what they would have paid him in pre arb money.