#5 will be Missed

Sammy Seagull

5 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I'm going to butcher this memory somewhat. I was in HS when I went to what I think was the Brooks Robinson HOF game at Memorial Stadium. It was pouring rain, the O's did not want to send a sellout crowd home. My sister and I stuck it out, the O's were down 3 (or more) runs in the 9th. They hit something like 5 singles in a row to win the game. Awesome memory on Brooks' night

It was Aug 5, 1983 and the O's were down 4-2 in the 9th. Bumbry led off with a single, Dan Ford GIDP. Then 5 straight singles from Ripken, Murray, Lowenstein, Singleton and Dauer. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I'm going to butcher this memory somewhat. I was in HS when I went to what I think was the Brooks Robinson HOF game at Memorial Stadium. It was pouring rain, the O's did not want to send a sellout crowd home. My sister and I stuck it out, the O's were down 3 (or more) runs in the 9th. They hit something like 5 singles in a row to win the game. Awesome memory on Brooks' night

I didn't go to that game, but my sister (not a baseball fan) happened to go with a bunch of friends and she got me the giveaway, which was this cardboard mounted foldout collage full of pictures relating to Brooks' career.   I'm going to have to dig through the closet and see if I still have it.

So I'm like 15. Sitting in a pick up with my uncle and cousin in a hayfield spotting deer. Summer 1971. The smell of hay and summer humidity in the air. Quiet except for the crickets. Full moon. Lighting bugs all around. Radio on...Chuck Thompson. O's down by a run. Bottom of the ninth. Two outs. Runners on first and second. Brooksie up. My uncle says Brooks is a great clutch hitter. I think to myself I sure hope so. Chuck says here's the pitch. Whack! Chuck says there's a line drive in the gap to left center. It's going to the wall! Here comes Buford. Here comes Robinson. The throw home. SAFE!!! Orioles win!! I'd give anything to relive that moment.

• Upvote 4

I never met Brooks.  I did see him play at the very end of his career.  I also remember attending "Thanks Brooks Day"  in '77 after he officially retired.  I still have the program and Norman Rockwell print.  

Brooks is the only player I have an autographed  baseball from.  The autograph is all faded now.  Back in the day, my brother had a friend who worked somewhere Brooks was appearing.   He brought me back the signed ball.  

Let's hope the current O's can do some damage in the playoffs and honor Brooks.  A ws appearance would be something.

Having one of my first baseball heroes pass is sad.  I "met" him once when I was about 10.  He signed an autograph and asked me if I played.  Larger than life with a heart that matched.  I know @Roy Firestone will bless us all with his thoughtful tributes and insight from one who knew Brooks and will eloquently make us both appreciate and miss Brooks.

CBS Sports cited an Associated Press reporter in their story:

So beloved was Robinson that an Associated Press columnist once wrote: "Brooks never asked anyone to name a candy bar after him. In Baltimore, they name their children after him."

This has me thinking - first, any of the older board members remember who wrote this?  And also, I wonder just how many kids in and around Baltimore in the 1970s were named Brooks?