Update Again Again: OPACY lease officially official, done and approved, for real this time

spleen1015

9 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Angelos?

It was named "Oriole Park at Camden Yards" when it opened, which was  well before Angelos owned the team.

According to wikipedia (which I know isn't always 100% accurate), Gov Schaefer favored Camden Yards and Eli Jacobs favored Oriole Park, and the OPACY compromise was reached.   But it definitely happened before it opened which means Angelos had nothing to do with it.

Sorry, I mixed up Angelos with Jacobs. I just remember the owner wanted Orioles Park. Thanks for the correction.

15 minutes ago, One eyed Bird said:

Only in Md , 30 year lease that the club can get out of in 15 years, 30 year lease that is tied to a sweetheart  land development deal for Angelos, if land deal falls thru, lease is only good till 2027, so in reality its a 3 year lease unless Md gives away  its first born to the seed of satan

2038 ,if no land deal  Goes from 30 to 15.

Dec. 31, 2038, also could be a significant date. If the state and the Orioles don’t finalize a redevelopment deal, the team could make this the end of the lease

What’s noteworthy in Orioles lease? Wish list includes removing ballpark seats to create social spaces and more. – Baltimore Sun
https://www.baltimoresun.com/2023/12/19/orioles-lease-new-spaces/

Edited by Going Underground

32 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

What’s noteworthy in Orioles lease? Wish list includes removing ballpark seats to create social spaces and more. – Baltimore Sun
https://www.baltimoresun.com/2023/12/19/orioles-lease-new-spaces/

I'm fine with them doing something for children, but these social spaces for adults just seem like a silly passing fad to me. I mean, why would someone pay for a ticket just to stand in a social space and ignore the game when they can go to local bar and do the same thing?

5 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I'm fine with them doing something for children, but these social spaces for adults just seem like a silly passing fad to me. I mean, why would someone pay for a ticket just to stand in a social space and ignore the game when they can go to local bar and do the same thing?

My buddies and I venture over to the CF bar during games. It would be fun to have a few more options as it gets pretty crowded up there sometimes.

1 hour ago, One eyed Bird said:

Only in Md , 30 year lease that the club can get out of in 15 years, 30 year lease that is tied to a sweetheart  land development deal for Angelos, if land deal falls thru, lease is only good till 2027, so in reality its a 3 year lease unless Md gives away  its first born to the seed of satan

That’s not how I understand it. The O’s are there at least 15 years regardless of what happens with the land deal.  

• Upvote 2

So no improvements till at least Opening Day 2026 .

Under the new Orioles lease agreement, the first round of borrowing money for upgrades would happen by July 1, 2025 — meaning it could take until the end of the 2025 season for fans, workers and even players to see shovels or hammers for stadium improvement projects.

15 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

So no improvements till at least Opening Day 2026 .

Under the new Orioles lease agreement, the first round of borrowing money for upgrades would happen by July 1, 2025 — meaning it could take until the end of the 2025 season for fans, workers and even players to see shovels or hammers for stadium improvement projects.

I'm not sure if borrowing the money for the bonds necessarily affects disbursement of the 600 million for the upgrades. The Ravens presumably would have a similar timeline from signing their lease to money to upgrades, and we're only 6 months or so out with the first phase of upgrades starting after the season for next fall. I'd presume a similar timeline, and wouldn't be surprised if "easier" upgrades like the sound system/televisions, as being feasible for the beginning of the 2024 season (assuming there's some sense of urgency by the team to get that ball rolling...)

9 minutes ago, Absltgreek said:

I'm not sure if borrowing the money for the bonds necessarily affects disbursement of the 600 million for the upgrades. The Ravens presumably would have a similar timeline from signing their lease to money to upgrades, and we're only 6 months or so out with the first phase of upgrades starting after the season for next fall. I'd presume a similar timeline, and wouldn't be surprised if "easier" upgrades like the sound system/televisions, as being feasible for the beginning of the 2024 season (assuming there's some sense of urgency by the team to get that ball rolling...)

The Ravens signed the lease at the end of 2022 and upgrades starting 2024. Orioles signed lease end of 2023 and can get projects started 2025. So almost same timeline but the Oriole season goes past July so can't start upgrades till after the season.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Oh. I thought the reason we weren't getting Adley or Gunnar extensions is that John Angelos is a friend of the working man and wants to keep prices down. How very odd that his priority would be to tear out cheap seats to build "social spaces" (i.e. expensive restaurants and bars).

8 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Oh. I thought the reason we weren't getting Adley or Gunnar extensions is that John Angelos is a friend of the working man and wants to keep prices down. How very odd that his priority would be to tear out cheap seats to build "social spaces" (i.e. expensive restaurants and bars).

So the left field upper deck was closed last season. If they did it in that area you wouldn’t be doing anything beyond replacing empty seats. BTW, I hope if they do add restaurants that they don’t use the concessionaire because most of the food isn’t worth buying.

Also, and I’m certainly not defending Angelos but they already have $10 seats and the buy one adult and get a bunch of kid admissions free. So I think they do a good job making admission affordable. Plus they let people carry food and drinks in. Personally, my company has tickets that cost a fortune and they we pay the overpriced concessions prices on top of that.

Edited by Roll Tide