Coming to Baltimore for the ALDS

Bahama O's Fan

6 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I have only ever been to Baltimore once in my life, for the 2014 ALDS. At that time, I just staying in a hotel on the Inner Harbor and walked to the game. I've heard about the crime increasing. Would you say that is still a safe, reasonable option or should I avoid walking there?

You'll be fine walking from the Inner Harbor.

58 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Well, this may not be the plan. There are no hotel rooms on the inner harbor less than $300 per night

The other option is to look for hotels close to the Light Rail stops in either direction of the stadium. That’s cheap and (fairly) reliable transport directly to and from Camden Yards. 

7 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I have only ever been to Baltimore once in my life, for the 2014 ALDS. At that time, I just staying in a hotel on the Inner Harbor and walked to the game. I've heard about the crime increasing. Would you say that is still a safe, reasonable option or should I avoid walking there?

I think there is a huge misconception of personal safety risk visiting cities from people who have spent their whole lives, living in the country or suburbs. 

I have lived in developing areas of DC for the past decade and been to Baltimore at least 20 times since 2014, and never witnessed a violent crime.  Crime does occur and has admittedly been on the rise over the last few years, but it’s not like you are going to be hanging out on a corner in Cherry Hill. You’ll be fine. 

Edited by ChuckS

I traveled to Baltimore annually to work at trade shows the last few years in January. Been a minute since I've caught a game. Was in the area once over the summer the last few years. I never felt threatened walking around. I'm also a woman. There's def some sketchy people but they are looking to take advantage of the vulnerable ie let me see if I can tell you a sob story to get you to feel bad for me and give me stuff. If you're just there, walking around, minding your biz, there's nothing to worry about. Shit you hear is not right. Especially around Inner Harbor area. Stay away from Supano's tho... karaoke, busy late night vibe... seems fun, older patrons but sketchy, college bar, weird shit happens at that place. Everyone I know dodges that place like the plague. Have fun and don't even sweat it.

Edited by oh-wee-ohs
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

From the inner harbor to Camden Yards is stacked with law enforcement and reasonably safe. Assuming you are a pedestrian, the most problems you will have is stopping and waiting at traffic lights every street block,  J-walking/mustering up patience, and dealing with panhandlers.

If you decide to rent a car, stay in that area because car jackings have been on the rise in the farther corners of the city. Most of the culprits are very young people and minors. Most of the violence you hear about is gang related.

But like I said, The Inner Harbor, Fells Point, and Camden Yards are all very touristy places so the city keeps a heavy law enforcement presence to keep it safe.