Do You Prefer Texas or Tampa Bay?

Uli2001

Some years I follow the playoffs closely and enjoy the excitement of playoff baseball.  On years when the O's have participated (and let's be honest - it's a small sample size), I am generally too disappointed by their exit to have any desire to follow the post-season any further.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Welp, I wanted Texas, certainly got what I asked for.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing them win it all.  

Growing up my brother and I would always argue this.  He would say that he always wanted to team that knocked his team out to go all the way.  That way you can say you lost to the champs and it makes your team look better.

I always rooted against the team that knocked my team out, because screw them.

Reason number 783 why he's a better man than I am.

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Growing up my brother and I would always argue this.  He would say that he always wanted to team that knocked his team out to go all the way.  That way you can say you lost to the champs and it makes your team look better.

I always rooted against the team that knocked my team out, because screw them.

Reason number 783 why he's a better man than I am.

Nah, it has nothing to do with that.  I've always just kind of liked Texas, going back to the 90s where they had Raffy, Sierra, Gonzalez, Pudge, etc.  Tettleton.  They've always seemed to have been a team that's just wanted to build a team around sluggers, which is kind of fun.  And a very Texas thing to do...just MOOOORE POWER!!!1

Honestly, now that we're out and Tampa and Toronto are, too, there aren't many teams I'm actively rooting against.  I'd be happy seeing the Twins go all the way, too.  I've never minded the Astros, even throughout the whole cheating scandal...they'd be the last team I'd want to see go to the WS but even if they did I wouldn't be upset about it.

7 hours ago, Aglets said:

Assuming it's an all-Texas ALCS, I agree.

I would probably pull for the Twins over the Rangers though.

IF Texas wins the WS, or at least the ALCS, it makes the O's loss a "better" loss. If they are swept in the ALCS, this is a "worse" loss.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

IF Texas wins the WS, or at least the ALCS, it makes the O's loss a "better" loss. If they are swept in the ALCS, this is a "worse" loss.

I don't think it changes anything.

They hit a hot team in the playoffs.

I think folks were sleeping on Texas a bit since they had that really bad stretch where no one in their bullpen could get anyone out.

They were a top team in the AL for a good stretch of the season.

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it changes anything.

They hit a hot team in the playoffs.

I think folks were sleeping on Texas a bit since they had that really bad stretch where no one in their bullpen could get anyone out.

They were a top team in the AL for a good stretch of the season.

I know I was. Or, at a minimum I was hoping for a Rays loss maybe because I'd seen them all year and knew just how tough they could be, so I wanted them out of the way. Maybe it's because as you say, the Rangers had a rough month or so where they gave up the lead of the division and almost got knocked out of the playoffs by a hard charging Seattle team.

But the Rangers handled the Orioles all year except for the first series AND they handled GRod. 

Finally, the Rangers had to go from the WC series to the division series the Orioles is seen as a positive, without any break. As Smoltz commented last night, the time off for the Orioleswas seen as an advantage, but is it? It can be, but it obviously didn't hurt Texas.

47 minutes ago, Malike said:

Wish we were playing the Braves. They suck.

Me too.  Beginning on October 27.  The Phillies are doing a pretty good impression of the Texas Rangers at the moment, and the Braves the Orioles, including the best record in their respective leagues.

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

Me too.  Beginning on October 27.  The Phillies are doing a pretty good impression of the Texas Rangers at the moment, and the Braves the Orioles, including the best record in their respective leagues.

Don't forget the 100-win Dodgers down 0-2.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...