Superstitions

DocJJ

What was the O's record in City Connect jerseys?  I went to 2 games this year wearing it and they lost both games 8-1, so It likely will live in my closet for the rest of eternity never to be worn again...

I will also not go in person or watch on TV- I think they are winless when I do.  They seem to win whenever I am not looking so I will be content to not look until the games are finished.  I've even "peeked" on my mobile phone and converted games we were winning into defeats...  I literally watched just one inning of this year's All Star game where Felix Bautista blew the save.  

Any other silly superstitions people have out there?

9 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

What was the O's record in City Connect jerseys?  I went to 2 games this year wearing it and they lost both games 8-1, so It likely will live in my closet for the rest of eternity never to be worn again...

I will also not go in person or watch on TV- I think they are winless when I do.  They seem to win whenever I am not looking so I will be content to not look until the games are finished.  I've even "peeked" on my mobile phone and converted games we were winning into defeats...  I literally watched just one inning of this year's All Star game where Felix Bautista blew the save.  

Yours dont sound silly. You sound like reverse Midas touch.  You better not go to any games or check into the results until they are over.  Our damn season depends on you butting OUT!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

They won 101 games this year. You didn't watch any of them? 

3 minutes ago, TheWall said:

They won 101 games this year. You didn't watch any of them? 

I did see a game where Ryan McKenna hit a walk off HR to win... and I saw one game where Fujinami actually managed to get people out in a game we won...  so that's 2 that I can think of....

Still, I will be content to have my phone notify me when the games are over and I can check the score.

I have this superstition that the team which scores the most runs will win the game.  

Otherwise, by far my biggest superstition is that I don’t like it when the announcers start taking it for granted that a game is won.  I don’t even like hearing things like, “if the Orioles hold on to win this game, it will be…” blah blah.  They can wait until the game  is actually won, then tell me the consequences.   I of course know that what the announcers say has no bearing on what happens next on the field, but it still bugs the hell out of me.   

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Otherwise, by far my biggest superstition is that I don’t like it when the announcers start taking it for granted that a game is won.  I don’t even like hearing things like, “if the Orioles hold on to win this game, it will be…” blah blah.  They can wait until the game  is actually won, then tell me the consequences.   I of course know that what the announcers say has no bearing on what happens next on the field, but it still bugs the hell out of me.   

And you like Kevin Brown?   

I hate it when, in a tie game, they say something like, "Wells hasn't given up a home run in 12 straight outings."  I feel like the game won't be tied for long....

Or, "He hasn't allowed an inherited runner to score since July....."  Can anyone guess what happens next??

Those are my superstitions.

• Upvote 1

Nothing new  and my wife and family can verify  this.   The Orioles do  much better when I am not watching, TV or MLB.  Has been that way for years.  But speaking of superstitions I have been wondering if the younger generations ever heard of the one that was quite the rage in the 50s 60s.  If the first batter in the game struck out it was supposed to mean the Pitcher would not have a good game.  I never found that one to trend one way or the other, but leading announcers of those days sure did.   Just curious.

4 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

Nothing new  and my wife and family can verify  this.   The Orioles do  much better when I am not watching, TV or MLB.  Has been that way for years.  But speaking of superstitions I have been wondering if the younger generations ever heard of the one that was quite the rage in the 50s 60s.  If the first batter in the game struck out it was supposed to mean the Pitcher would not have a good game.  I never found that one to trend one way or the other, but leading announcers of those days sure did.   Just curious.

Be careful what you say, man.  I was crucified yesterday for saying the Orioles do better when I don't watch, and was told verbatim that me watching or not watching the game has no , zero, nada impact on how they play.  It was a great help to me mentally, because now I feel like I can watch the games 🙂

Maybe if we both watch, they will do extraordinarily well.  If they don't, no one will know it was our fault for watching.  I get so much wisdom on here.....

33 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Be careful what you say, man.  I was crucified yesterday for saying the Orioles do better when I don't watch, and was told verbatim that me watching or not watching the game has no , zero, nada impact on how they play.  It was a great help to me mentally, because now I feel like I can watch the games 🙂

Maybe if we both watch, they will do extraordinarily well.  If they don't, no one will know it was our fault for watching.  I get so much wisdom on here.....

Nice to know that others  have such supernatural powers to be able to determine this.  I guess another load of Kryptonite is needed

40 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

You weren't crucified. Now you are playing the victim in this thread too. 

1 hour ago, Sanity Check said:

I hate it when, in a tie game, they say something like, "Wells hasn't given up a home run in 12 straight outings."  I feel like the game won't be tied for long....

Or, "He hasn't allowed an inherited runner to score since July....."  Can anyone guess what happens next??

Those are my superstitions.

1 million percent. This right here. I’ve said this before in other posts. 

KB really has a knack for speaking these things into existence.  It’s pretty amazing.  Never seen it happen with such frequency ever before with any other announcer.