Gunnar tried to steal second on his own...to disastrous results..

Roy Firestone

Look, without Gunnar this year, we may not have won the division, but trying to steal second in the ninth, and getting thrown out... was completely on HIM. Getting thrown out crushed us.Im sure Hyde wont throw him under the bus, but Gunnar should NOT have tried to steal second. I do have a feeling though, that Gunnar will be back in this series and do something positive and big...I also think Hicks should sit. He gives us nothing.Id take my chances with Kjerstad. He hits the ball hard...and Hicks, even though hes a veteran, isn't hitting at all..

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, baltimoriole said:

I remember reading data showing Henderson's 1st to 3rd time was in the 90 percentile, and his time from home to 1st was blazing fast relative to other hitters. I thought he'd be a bigger threat on the bases this year. He's really not. Sort of like Machado. 

Reminds me of Devereux

I thought Hicks should have swung at the pitch on which Gunnar ran.  But I can't remember what the count was though it looked like a good pitch.  

You're right that Hicks hasn't looked good at the plate lately, but at least Hicks drew too walks today, which is more than most of the rest of the team did at the plate.   It does feel like Kjerstad's bats is needed now, whether it's in place of Hicks or O'Hearn or somebody else.  The good news is that Santander, Mountcastle, Hays and Gunnar all looked pretty good at the plate today.  Mullins looks like maybe he's playing hurt.  If he can give us anything it would be a major lift.  

27 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

I thought Hicks should have swung at the pitch on which Gunnar ran.  But I can't remember what the count was though it looked like a good pitch.  

You're right that Hicks hasn't looked good at the plate lately, but at least Hicks drew too walks today, which is more than most of the rest of the team did at the plate.   It does feel like Kjerstad's bats is needed now, whether it's in place of Hicks or O'Hearn or somebody else.  The good news is that Santander, Mountcastle, Hays and Gunnar all looked pretty good at the plate today.  Mullins looks like maybe he's playing hurt.  If he can give us anything it would be a major lift.  

It was a 2-1 pitch and was a ball to make it 3-1. 

27 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Mullins is a disaster at the plate. Against Montgomery tomorrow I would have a better shot.  He needs to be the one that sits if anybody. 

28 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

I think if Hicks knew Gunnar was running, he definitely would have swung. But since even Hyde didn’t know, Gunnar was on his own (and didn’t get a good jump, and it was a solid throw).

Agreed, at least Hicks got on base, and also forced a pitching change. It was a close game where we didn’t have the timely hits. I don’t have any hostility about this one, I just hope we take the next 3 of 4! 

• Upvote 1

Believe it was a 2-0 pitch, but I would have preferred to keep the pressure on the pitcher with the patient batter at the plate (in Hicks). Believe Gunnar was in the mindset to avoid the double play and making something happen.

O’s need to score some runs early and force the Rangers into the bullpen, which is key to this series! Always love the bounce back and resilience of this team. Let’s go O’s!

• Upvote 1

I was extremely mad when it happened, but considering the offensive black hole coming up in the lineup, do we really think he moves off first anyway?

Dumb play, but the complete lack of clutch hitting is what sunk them. Rangers handed it to them on a platter and they still couldn't take it.

4 minutes ago, Tbone83 said:

I was extremely mad when it happened, but considering the offensive black hole coming up in the lineup, do we really think he moves off first anyway?

Dumb play, but the complete lack of clutch hitting is what sunk them. Rangers handed it to them on a platter and they still couldn't take it.

Maybe not, but any of those guys were capable of a walk-off. 

• Upvote 1

Every play that goes wrong is blown up to be huge when that is mostly  because the team has stopped hitting some time ago.  When a team does not hit more than the Orioles have been lately, it takes near perfect outings from the Starters  to keep us in the game and plays that go wrong  are therefore over emphasized to have cost us the game.  What cost the game was not hitting  again,  anything close to what is expected of a Postseason Team.  I do not know why they have not been hitting but I am not the Hitting Coach.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Look, without Gunnar this year, we may not have won the division, but trying to steal second in the ninth, and getting thrown out... was completely on HIM. Getting thrown out crushed us.Im sure Hyde wont throw him under the bus, but Gunnar should NOT have tried to steal second. I do have a feeling though, that Gunnar will be back in this series and do something positive and big...I also think Hicks should sit. He gives us nothing.Id take my chances with Kjerstad. He hits the ball hard...and Hicks, even though hes a veteran, isn't hitting at all..

Looks to me like Gunnar thought the run and hit was on, he did look back at the pitch and Hyde said there was  miscommunication on the play...Hicks either missed the sign or Gunnar read the signs wrong but I don't believe he tried to steal the base outright... I believe they need to change the rules, allow the offense to use the "pitch com" to communicate.. The defense gets a unfair advantage by allowing them to make defensive calls like pitch outs, pickoffs, and throw overs etc. so the offense should be able to use it to call hit and runs, straight steals, bunts etc. 

• Like 1