Can We Talk About Next Year Now?

Bahama O's Fan

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So what did he do with the tens of millions he siphoned off the team during the rebuild?

Also they have MASN as a second source of income but have apparently done a very poor job with it.

Tens of millions he "siphoned off "from the team?  It's a business.  He has a right to a profit should he wish to have one.  You can say he should take less of a profit, but the truth of the matter is that everyone on here is kinda full of it when it comes to this.  If the team was basically your only source of income, I bet everyone on this message board would want to run a profit to maintain their lifestyle.  You might say you would be willing to sell.  Well, maybe.  But you are huge Orioles fans so you would probably want to take a crack at trying to win it all while still making a profit.  

Compared to other owners, he is poorer and that is going to make him less likely to be willing to run at a loss or to break even.  

2 hours ago, O'sFanThruJune said:

Then he should sell the team for a billion dollars and never have to worry about money again.

So if you owned the team under these circumstances being the big Orioles fan that you are, you would just sell or would you take a shot at winning a championship and then maybe sell if you see it can't happen?

20 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Agreed. If there is a big splash move or two to be made this offseason it's going to be through trades. The roster crunch looks unavoidable in 2024 unless Elias is trying to field an all time great AAA team at Norfolk.

I think the ship of all-time great Norfolk teams just sailed. Most of those guys have to graduate (or get traded). And I think this year Elias was just committed, all the way through, to a wait and see attitude, both for prospects and the big league club. Now that the "liftoff" stage has passed, it's time to move on to different moves.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Tens of millions he "siphoned off "from the team?  It's a business.  He has a right to a profit should he wish to have one.  You can say he should take less of a profit, but the truth of the matter is that everyone on here is kinda full of it when it comes to this.  If the team was basically your only source of income, I bet everyone on this message board would want to run a profit to maintain their lifestyle.  You might say you would be willing to sell.  Well, maybe.  But you are huge Orioles fans so you would probably want to take a crack at trying to win it all while still making a profit.  

Compared to other owners, he is poorer and that is going to make him less likely to be willing to run at a loss or to break even.  

It's not his sole source of income.  He also has MASN.  MASN should have been a huge cash cow for the family.

I also never said he wasn't within his rights to siphon that money off. 

If somehow I got put into a position like that I'd put the team up for sale immediately.  I'd take the huge windfall over trying to run something I have no idea how to run.  Being an average Joe I have no support system in place and would have no idea whom to trust.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It's not his sole source of income.  He also has MASN.  MASN should have been a huge cash cow for the family.

I also never said he wasn't within his rights to siphon that money off. 

If somehow I got put into a position like that I'd put the team up for sale immediately.  I'd take the huge windfall over trying to run something I have no idea how to run.  Being an average Joe I have no support system in place and would have no idea whom to trust.

MASN isn't a huge cash cow when there is so much uncertainty re: the Nationals.  As for you saying that you would sell, you would sell after the guy that you hired got them to a 101 win season?  Or maybe you would think you have done a pretty good job hiring the right people and try to see it through.

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

MASN isn't a huge cash cow when there is so much uncertainty re: the Nationals.  As for you saying that you would sell, you would sell after the guy that you hired got them to a 101 win season?  Or maybe you would think you have done a pretty good job hiring the right people and try to see it through.

I said should have been.

I think the Angelos family squandered a really good opportunity.  I think MASN is worth a small fraction of what it was initially.  They should have gotten out before the bubble burst.

I never would have hired the guy that won 101 games.  I would have been handed the team and right after I got out of the hospital after my heart attack I've had put the team up for sale.  I know enough to know I would have no idea what I was doing.

But of course I'm not a nepo baby.

• Haha 1

Does anyone think the Orioles can win a championship with a roster completely full of home grown players?  I don't.  So, at some point, they are going to have to add outside talent.  JA won't spend so Elias has to trade some of his guys.  Will he?  If so, can he get back real pitching and/or an impact bat?  I'm hopeful but not at all confident.

1 hour ago, Low Country Bird said:

Very curious to see what we do with the OF next year.  Would think that Kjerstad and Cowser are going to be in the mix to play every day (assuming they have just decent spring trainings) and I assume Mullins is back in CF to start, so if that's the case, what do we do with Hays (or Santander or O'Hearn)? I also assume Hicks will be gone.  

I don't see how we can subtract/substitute Santander and Hays with Kjerstad and Cowser and be better. Unless one thinks that both of those young players can come up and contribute right away. That notion seems like an unnecessary risk to me. Maybe bet on one? But even still that seems to be a push in terms of replacement. Right now IMO we need to be aiming a lot higher than a push in terms of next years roster because as this TEX series showed we still have a ways to go in terms of having the type of talented roster that can topple multiple top teams in a row to make a run to the WS.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think the organization is at the point where it's a necessity to trade prospects or established veterans to fill in holes (mainly pitching) on the roster. Are they supposed to let Ortiz, Cowser and Kjerstad among others spend another year at Norfolk?  Then there's Holliday and Mayo the list goes on and on.

Now is the time to make some moves with this glut of prospects.

IMO it has already been time for that. Holliday and Kjerstad should be in the lineup everyday next year. However, beyond adding young talent IMO this postseason (and the lack of success/competitiveness) proved that we need a few good reliable bets to go along with our young talent. The additions that we made in the offseason and deadline were totally meaningless/useless in this series. On the contrary the additions that our competition made (in this case the Rangers) appeared to help them beat us.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sign Snell. Need lefties in OPACY for playoffs with the wall. Go with a 6 man rotation to keep everyone fresh and healthy. 

Snell, Bradish, Means, Grayson, Irvin, Kremer

It’s time to start building for the playoffs and using the wall.  Wells is our closer. Evaluate the pen at the deadline. 

First, I like the idea od signing Snell to anchor the rotation. But I hate the idea of taking starts away from Bradish and Grayson to give to Irvin. We can't baby these guys forever, they are going to have to take the ball every fifth day like everyone else and get the job done. I'm not saying that thinking outside the box or going with unconventional methods is a bad thing, but we are the World Series contenders who are using 6 man rotations? Not that we are not going to need at least 7/8 starters to get through a long 162 game regular season. But I think Irvin proved this year that you don't want him in the rotation for the season especially not in this division. He's a good swing man/long man IMO.

50 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He doesn't have to "run at a loss" or "break even" not to have the second lowest payroll in the sport. For goodness sake he is being outspent by the Rockies, Pirates, Reds, Guardians, Rays, Brewers, etc.

He received somewhere between 250 and 300 million in revenues last offseason alone. He has some money to spend if he truly wants to win. If not, I think it will be kind of evident and we will get more of the useless signings/acquisitions and then crying about being poor (as a billionaire).  

26 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Does anyone think the Orioles can win a championship with a roster completely full of home grown players?  I don't.  So, at some point, they are going to have to add outside talent.  JA won't spend so Elias has to trade some of his guys.  Will he?  If so, can he get back real pitching and/or an impact bat?  I'm hopeful but not at all confident.

No I don't think that is realistic or even possible. No one does that. Even the cheap Rays acquire talent outside their own org and they haven't won the big prize once.

I don't think it has to be an either/or when it comes to trades vs FA signings. We can and probably should do a bit of both.

DL Hall is healthy and joins the starting rotation. 

Dylan Tate gets healthy and returns to the bullpen.

Sign 3 reliable arms and a big MoO bat. (Might be dependent on if they bring Aaron Hicks back to whether they have the roster space.)

We have alot of great prospects but we learned it's difficult to know if they can perform against top level MLB pitching, plus injuries are a part of baseball. So it is imperative that the team gets some quality veteran help to bring some of the young guys along farther.

Bullpen help and a closer is the greatest need heading into the offseason. So is a left handed starter for the rotation. And you would ideally have 10 potential starting candidates for your rotation within the organization to soften the blow of possible injuries or regression.

14 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

DL Hall is healthy and joins the starting rotation. 

Dylan Tate gets healthy and returns to the bullpen.

Sign 3 reliable arms and a big MoO bat. (Might be dependent on if they bring Aaron Hicks back to whether they have the roster space.)

We have alot of great prospects but we learned it's difficult to know if they can perform against top level MLB pitching, plus injuries are a part of baseball. So it is imperative that the team gets some quality veteran help to bring some of the young guys along farther.

Bullpen help and a closer is the greatest need heading into the offseason. So is a left handed starter for the rotation. And you would ideally have 10 potential starting candidates for your rotation within the organization to soften the blow of possible injuries or regression.

Depending on DL Hall to be healthy is questionable, but even if he is healthy, he has never thrown 100 innings in a year. You can't expect him to go out and throw a full season. 

2 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Depending on DL Hall to be healthy is questionable, but even if he is healthy, he has never thrown 100 innings in a year. You can't expect him to go out and throw a full season. 

Rodriguez's career high in innings pitched before this year was 103.

He threw 163 regular season innings this year.

• Upvote 1