Other Teams Playoffs Thread

Uli2001

8 hours ago, baltfan said:

It suggests that there isn't sufficient advantage of winning your division.  

Sometimes teams either outperform or underperform. Case in point (and I know I'm going back decades), were the 1969 Mets a better team than the 1969 O's? Absolutely not, but they played a great series, and sometimes the better teams lose. 

3 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Sometimes teams either outperform or underperform. Case in point (and I know I'm going back decades), were the 1969 Mets a better team than the 1969 O's? Absolutely not, but they played a great series, and sometimes the better teams lose. 

Three 100 win teams might get one win between them.  Odds are probably pretty low that it’s a product of randomness. 

The Brewers, Dodgers and Orioles had the three best post-All Star Break team ERAs -- yet they all got hit hard in the playoffs. 

And of the three teams only the Orioles had a game where their offense scored more than 3 runs.  The Rays and Blue Jays each only scored 1 run over 2 games.  

Don't know if you can blame the playoff format, but I hated the extended format as soon as it was announced.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

100 wins doesn't get you what it used to do.  Down goes Atlanta.

You're not alone, O's fans.   We'll be back in '24.

I have to say, I feel much better about our loss knowing that all four 99+ win teams lost.  I’ll definitely be rooting for Texas and Arizona in the next round.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I have to say, I feel much better about our loss knowing that all four 99+ win teams lost.  I’ll definitely be rooting for Texas and Arizona in the next round.  

Texas against Arizona sounds like a bowl game not the World Series, but it is a bit hard not to pull for those two teams.  My mid-Atlantic loyalties kind of have me pulling for Philly, and I like their home stadium atmosphere.

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

100 wins doesn't get you what it used to do.  Down goes Atlanta.

You're not alone, O's fans.   We'll be back in '24.

As scary as Atlanta was their surprising Achilles heel the second half of the season was their pitching.  It just wasn't very good.  

7 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

Texas against Arizona sounds like a bowl game not the World Series, but it is a bit hard not to pull for those two teams.  My mid-Atlantic loyalties kind of have me pulling for Philly, and I like their home stadium atmosphere.

I dislike Harper.  Always have. 

Harper's career has I think given us The Truman Show kind of experience watching a ridiculously talented child become a more mature adult.

He has the "6th best team in the league" access to thank for helping get it started, but a Hall of Fame talent at his peak chasing that dogpile is baseball excellence to savor.

The Braves beat the Phillies by 14, but since Bryce's OPS bottomed out at .764 on June 29th, ATL was only 3 games better.     Loosely I'd give Harper a mulligan on May-June results as if he wasn't him, he wouldn't have been allowed to play so quickly after a TJ procedure.

Last night was one of my first times getting to watch a whole Strider game, and it didn't hit me like he's as near to the Best Pitcher as his overall numbers make it look like.

I have a feeling both LCS's will be stomps and we'll get a HOU-PHI rematch.     Recency bias of course I'm salty getting smacked by TEX, and am skeptical if they'll hold up against the AL's entrenched champions.