TT: Major league ready minor leaguers

Tony-OH

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Been saying this for a while now but when they want to promote these guys and how many rookies they are ok with it is the biggest story of the offseason and the 2024 season in general.

Elias didn’t build all of this talent to sit on it. He has elite, high prospects that every org wants. You can’t wait on these kids and just suppress their development by keeping them in leagues they are too good for but it’s also risky to bring them up when you are trying to win a WS. 

It's all about risk for him and why I don't think he really wants more than one or two rookies at the most breaking in at the same time.

This is why I think we may see guys start back in AAA, even if they are ready. 

Elias also wants deep depth in AAA in case of injury which is why in my opinion Ortiz won't be traded because he's the major league ready shortstop if something happens to Henderson. 

Now if they tender Mateo to be the utility guy (seems expensive for a guy who can't hit a lick) then Ortiz becomes more expendable. Sure Holliday is coming up, but I think he's a guy that are not going to push for no other reason then he still needs defensive work and still needs to drive the ball more often (hits too many grounders) and Ortiz, Mayo, Kjerstad and maybe Cowser are all guys that are ready for major league jobs.

Westburg could very well be a major trade candidate now that he's shown he can play a plus second base. Ortiz and Holliday are backups there if he's moved. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I'll have more in their prospect profiles coming out soon, but Cowser impacts the ball better and has more power and the ability to take walks, but he's got some orange flags starting to show up when it comes to hitting upper velocity. I hoping it's a swing adjustment that can be made and not bat speed. 

Ortiz hits the ball hard but does not backspin the ball very much so there's not going to be a ton of home run power despite some average pop, but he will collect a lot of doubles. He doesn't draw many walks so his OBP will be average dependent. 

You can pick which one you like better. They are very close to me as prospects.

Both have work to do for sure.  Always looking forward to your take on the prospects!  

Interesting on Ortiz.  IMO, he's got an aggressive swing.  Quick but also has to really work to get into it.  Ortiz's success will be dependent on his K%, LD%, and Cent%.  It seems like the aggressive swingers may have more trouble squaring up MLB pitching for LD.  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It basically is the same team, especially when you consider who was getting the playing time at the end of the year.

You are basically saying to not get anyone from outside the org except another Gibson clone and a replacement for Bautista..that’s it. You aren’t making any other outside the org additions.

Gibson, Frazier, Urias all played pretty big roles they will not be back IMO.

Means will be.  He hardly pitched last season.

Holliday, Westburg  and Ortiz will have bigger roles.  Maybe Mayo in the 2nd half.

No Bautista.

Hall may play a big role in the pen.

Cowser and Kjerstad will get playing time.  Especially if Hays, Mountcastle, O'Hearn get hurt or slump.

Hyde should have enough good players to keep everyone rested.

I really can't see where you think the team will be the same.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, connja said:

Surprised nobody talking about Bradfield.  A chance he is our starting CF by end of the year.

Absent a meteoric change in his OPS, this is highly unlikely.

But if you told me they promoted him in September to be a 4th OF/pinch running guy in the playoffs, I'd believe that. The O's historically have been protective of their 40-man spots, but for a playoff run you might make that move.

@Tony-OH

I'm curious where you'd slot Povich, McDermott, S. Johnson and Gillies in with these position players. Did you focus on position players only or do you think those pitchers just aren't ready yet?

My 2 cents is that they're just not quite ready yet even though they would have a chance to be as useful (or more) than Vavra and maybe Stowers. But I do like those 4 arms (and maybe a couple others) and think they're more 2nd half promotion types if things go well for them.

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

@Tony-OH

I'm curious where you'd slot Povich, McDermott, S. Johnson and Gillies in with these position players. Did you focus on position players only or do you think those pitchers just aren't ready yet?

My 2 cents is that they're just not quite ready yet even though they would have a chance to be as useful (or more) than Vavra and maybe Stowers. But I do like those 4 arms (and maybe a couple others) and think they're more 2nd half promotion types if things go well for them.

It was only focused on position players. McDermott though is the only one I'd consider close to ready to help at the big league level from the pitching side. As for Povich, he's got a long ways to go with his command and consistency, but still has promise.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, wildcard said:

They won 101.  This off season's focus should be on winning the WS.   To not do that will be a disservice to the players, the organization and the fans.  

If the O's play as well next season as they did this season, they will have as good a chance to win the WS as anyone else.  There is no special "secret sauce" to winning in the WS as opposed to winning in the regular season.  Build a good team, make the playoffs and then hope you get hot at the right time--that's all you can do.   

Having said that, I'm not suggesting that the O's should stand pat.  They were lucky to win 101 games last season--lucky with RISP, lucky with regard to their Pythagorean W-L record.  The O's need to make improvements where they can, and some of those should involve replacing mediocre players like Mateo, Urias, Frazier and Gibson with upgrades, either from major league ready minor leaguers or from signings/trades.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It basically is the same team, especially when you consider who was getting the playing time at the end of the year.

You are basically saying to not get anyone from outside the org except another Gibson clone and a replacement for Bautista..that’s it. You aren’t making any other outside the org additions.

I'd be OK with more or less the current team if the all-in moment is the trade deadline and we bring in Alonso and Burnes.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Is that what you really want to bank on?

Don’t think anyone should be banking on anything, whether it be major needle movers this off season or at the trade deadline but the deadline does make more sense for Elias as he can assess both his team’s health and which players/prospects he’s willing to part with.   

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It's all about risk for him and why I don't think he really wants more than one or two rookies at the most breaking in at the same time.

This is why I think we may see guys start back in AAA, even if they are ready. 

Elias also wants deep depth in AAA in case of injury which is why in my opinion Ortiz won't be traded because he's the major league ready shortstop if something happens to Henderson. 

Now if they tender Mateo to be the utility guy (seems expensive for a guy who can't hit a lick) then Ortiz becomes more expendable. Sure Holliday is coming up, but I think he's a guy that are not going to push for no other reason then he still needs defensive work and still needs to drive the ball more often (hits too many grounders) and Ortiz, Mayo, Kjerstad and maybe Cowser are all guys that are ready for major league jobs.

Westburg could very well be a major trade candidate now that he's shown he can play a plus second base. Ortiz and Holliday are backups there if he's moved. 

The more I think about it, the less likely I think Mato will be on the team.  This is a team that cuts players over a couple hundred thousand and the O's are going to bring a player back who is a pinch runner and backup SS for 2 million or so?  Despite defense being his calling card, he flubbed a lot of routine plays.  Seems like replacing Mateo with Ortiz will be an upgrade everywhere but elite speed on the bases.

• Upvote 2