TT: Major league ready minor leaguers

Tony-OH

I agree with the OP assessment although having seen all of the ones listed… Jackson . even right now at 19, is the best bat on that list and in the system, imho.  Yes they will work on some stuff defensively but had better do it quickly cause he is a freight train coming and soon. 

The Os upgraded from Lyles to Gibson.. if they can upgrade from that and add a quality high leverage reliever.. i am good.  But Elias thought Mychal was that last winter .. turns out it was Coulombe and Cano that saved us.  You just  never know. 

Edited by tntoriole

32 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I agree with the OP assessment although having seen all of the ones listed… Jackson . even right now at 19, is the best bat on that list and in the system, imho.  

Do you think Holliday would outhit anyone on that list in 2024 if we just picked a guy to get, say, 500 PA in the big leagues next year?

If Elias and Hyde feel that way, then Holliday will get that opportunity, IMO.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Do you think Holliday would outhit anyone on that list in 2024 if we just picked a guy to get, say, 500 PA in the big leagues next year?

That's a good question.  Jackson could probably have an above average OBP in the major leagues right away.  He may not have enough power to be an impact hitter just yet.  Overall I'm confident he would at least be an upgrade on Frazier right away.

I think Mayo would have the best offensive season in 2024 if all of them got an equal shot.  He's got the best combination of power and patience in the minor league system, and he's still very young.  The only reason to keep him back is to give him more time to figure out what position he could handle.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yes, I do.  He is a beast. 

On 11/4/2023 at 11:27 PM, tntoriole said:

Yes, I do.  He is a beast. 

I’m skeptical.  I expect him to be a better hitter than any of the AAA guys eventually, but it would surprise me if he could outhit several of those guys at the major league level in 2024.   He’s not fully matured physically and he hasn’t seen much upper level pitching, so I expect he’ll need some more experience before he’s ready to outperform some of these guys.  

At the same time, I’m not saying it’s impossible.  You can look at guys like Bryce Harper or Juan Soto who were both very young and had comparably little minor league experience.  

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m skeptical.  I expect him to be a better hitter than any of the AAA guys eventually, but it would surprise me if he could outhit several of those guys at the major league level in 2024.   He’s not fully matured physically and he hasn’t seen much upper level pitching, so I expect he’ll need some more experience before he’s ready to outperform some of these guys.  

At the same time, I’m not saying it’s impossible.  You can look at guys like Bryce Harper or Juan Soto who were both very young and had comparably little minor league experience.  

We shall see.  He has a real gift. 
Griffey Jr at 19 , Vlad Jr at 20, Jackson will be 20 .. maybe prodigies /kids with excellent MLB fathers advance faster. 

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

We shall see.  He has a real gift. 
Griffey Jr at 19 , Vlad Jr at 20, Jackson will be 20 .. maybe prodigies /kids with excellent MLB fathers advance faster. 

I think folks put way too much into the father angle.

What did Trout's dad do for a living?

Arod's pops?

Soto's father?

I'm sure it helps to some degree but it's mostly about talent, not bloodline.  We've seen plenty of guys with famous dads not turn into good ML players.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

What did Trout's dad do for a living?

Arod's pops?

Soto's father?

I'm sure it helps to some degree but it's mostly about talent, not bloodline.  We've seen plenty of guys with famous dads not turn into good ML players.

Matt Holliday had 44.5 WAR over 15 year MLB career with 7 All Star appearances.. hope Jackson gets more!! 

On 11/2/2023 at 7:49 PM, connja said:

Surprised nobody talking about Bradfield.  A chance he is our starting CF by end of the year.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he's going to need more than 25 games in the minors, with demonstrated success in AA and AAA, before anyone is seriously talking about him as our starting CF.  

On 11/6/2023 at 8:47 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I know nothing, but my read from several posters on this board is that Jackson Holliday is a different level hitter. Yes, they mention his father, but @tntoriole isn't the only one who seems to think we have an elite prospect on our hands.

I also don't know if those folks know anything about baseball. It seems like they do and they think Holliday is different, in a great way.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I know nothing, but my read from several posters on this board is that Jackson Holliday is a different level hitter. Yes, they mention his father, but @tntoriole isn't the only one who seems to think we have an elite prospect on our hands.

I also don't know if those folks know anything about baseball. It seems like they do and they think Holliday is different, in a great way.

I believe he is .. more so even than Adley or Gunnar at their equivalent minor league stages. 

Today's column at MLB.com observes, "if Jackson Holliday, Gunnar Henderson, and Jordan Westburg are all in the 2024 infield, then prospect infielders Coby Mayo (No. 4 Orioles prospect per MLB Pipeline), Joey Ortiz (No. 6) and/or Connor Norby (No. 7) may be best served as trade bait for high-level pitching. 

A bunch of assumptions there but one I take issue with: trading Mayo instead of Westburg. To this fan's eye Mayo is far more valuable, mainly because of the big power that Westburg so far hasn't shown. 

5 minutes ago, now said:

Today's column at MLB.com observes, "if Jackson Holliday, Gunnar Henderson, and Jordan Westburg are all in the 2024 infield, then prospect infielders Coby Mayo (No. 4 Orioles prospect per MLB Pipeline), Joey Ortiz (No. 6) and/or Connor Norby (No. 7) may be best served as trade bait for high-level pitching. 

A bunch of assumptions there but one I take issue with: trading Mayo instead of Westburg. To this fan's eye Mayo is far more valuable, mainly because of the big power that Westburg so far hasn't shown. 

If Mayo is at 1B it doesn’t even affect Westburg and I’d say the chances are greater for Mayo at 1B than 3B.  Mayo played 1/3 of his AAA games at 1B.   

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If Mayo is at 1B it doesn’t even affect Westburg and I’d say the chances are greater for Mayo at 1B than 3B.  Mayo played 1/3 of his AAA games at 1B.   

True, and I'm fine with that. I confess I hate to lose any of those prospects. My pecking order to keep would be: Henderson, Holliday, Mayo, Ortiz, Norby, Westburg. That could include utility and outfield spots as well as IB, DH, and platoon... but if any have to leave the ship, go in reverse order in the above list.