Vavra and Tucker Davidson outrighted to Norfolk

wildcard

40 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like adding Haskin since we don’t know about Hicks, and then McKenna is out of options. Our only other CF depth is Hilliard, who is also out of options, and Bradfield/Fabian that both will be in AAA. 

Neither Bradfield nor Fabian will start the year in AAA.  Bradfield will be in Aberdeen and Fabian at Bowie to start the year.  Perhaps one or both will earn a promotion after half a season or so. Neither is likely to see the majors in 2024.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ve noticed over the years that you are more negative on Haskins’ defense than many other evaluators.  He’s played 129 of 181 games in CF, so is he really not a CF?   I mean, I realize he’s no Bradfield or even Fabian, but how does he stack up with Cowser or Hays in CF?

Similar to Hays and a step behind Cowser who I also don't think is a long term CF. Remember, if I say they are not a Cfer, it means I don't think they can be average or better defensively out there in a full time capacity, not that they can't play out there sometimes. 

I don't think Haskins gets the jumps nor does he has the plus footspeed to make up for his below average jumps to be an effective long term CF. He also has a below average arm.

Last year he didn't hit lefties very well in a SSS, but historically he's been ok so I do think he could be a 4th/5th outfielder who could fill in out in CF on occasion. I just don't see a carrying tool that makes him an everyday guy.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Neither Bradfield nor Fabian will start the year in AAA.  Bradfield will be in Aberdeen and Fabian at Bowie to start the year.  Perhaps one or both will earn a promotion after half a season or so. Neither is likely to see the majors in 2024.  

Offseason excitement typo… Meant AA for those two. Giving extra importance to Haskin being a AAA option. McKenna being out of options is a thing. He can’t be an up/down guy anymore based on matchups. Haskin at least could fill that role. Unless, we have a handshake agreement to bring back Daz Cameron for a year in AAA. 

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Offseason excitement typo… Meant AA for those two. Giving extra importance to Haskin being a AAA option. McKenna being out of options is a thing. He can’t be an up/down guy anymore based on matchups. Haskin at least could fill that role. Unless, we have a handshake agreement to bring back Daz Cameron for a year in AAA. 

Cameron is out of options.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Cameron is out of options.

Yeah I know. Just saying if we don’t protect Haskin then we have strength in numbers when it comes CF depth at least. Hilliard, McKenna, Cameron, Hicks back?, Haskin not taken in Rule 5?

Meaning nothing is guaranteed, but just playing strength in numbers on not losing all of them by OD. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Similar to Hays and a step behind Cowser who I also don't think is a long term CF. Remember, if I say they are not a Cfer, it means I don't think they can be average or better defensively out there in a full time capacity, not that they can't play out there sometimes. 

I don't think Haskins gets the jumps nor does he has the plus footspeed to make up for his below average jumps to be an effective long term CF. He also has a below average arm.

Last year he didn't hit lefties very well in a SSS, but historically he's been ok so I do think he could be a 4th/5th outfielder who could fill in out in CF on occasion. I just don't see a carrying tool that makes him an everyday guy.

I think Cowser looked terrible in the OF. IMO he’s not a MLB CF. If you think Haskins is worse he must be a Santander type. I don’t think Cowser looked better than Hays.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I think Cowser looked terrible in the OF. IMO he’s not a MLB CF. If you think Haskins is worse he must be a Santander type. I don’t think Cowser looked better than Hays.

I don't think you can judge him off his SSS at the major league level. He was much better defensively in AAA and even in his OAA numbers, they weren't awful. I think he'll end up a similar outfield profile as Hays.

6 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Well that's interesting.  Makes you wonder why they outrighted Vavra and Davidson so early.  Maybe because later on it would be easier for teams to grab them?  Or maybe they're ready to sign 4 big free agents! 

One reason. This is the time they would be least likely to be claimed.

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

One reason. This is the time they would be least likely to be claimed.

Right, that's what I'm thinking too.  Teams are focused on all the free agents and the rule 5 draft and don't want to clutter their team quite yet.  Later on when things are settled it would be easier for a team with 1-2 spots to grab a Vavra or Davidson.