Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I agree. I do enjoy the few who have apparently taken it personally that Elias hasn’t forced a deal by this point, whatever the cost, and they now are hoping for the downfall of our entire organization because of it. Definitely a minority of the comments but some of them seem really pissed off about it. 

Yea I don’t get that. There are some fans (and I don’t mean that board per se, just in general across social media) that believe we have a lot of prospects, so we should just trade whatever because we need pitching.

Now, that said, I think most of the guys over there are correct…we should be doing something and Elias needs to stop being afraid to trade guys.

The difference between what they are saying and what I think is happening is that since Elias knows what is being asked for and discussed, he likely feels he can get Cease for less than what Getz is currently asking for and whether the deal gets done on Dec 2 or Feb 2, it doesn’t change things for us and as with anything in life, you should always try to get something for as little as possible.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I don’t get that. There are some fans (and I don’t mean that board per se, just in general across social media) that believe we have a lot of prospects, so we should just trade whatever because we need pitching.

Now, that said, I think most of the guys over there are correct…we should be doing something and Elias needs to stop being afraid to trade guys.

The difference between what they are saying and what I think is happening is that since Elias knows what is being asked for and discussed, he likely feels he can get Cease for less than what Getz is currently asking for and whether the deal gets done on Dec 2 or Feb 2, it doesn’t change things for us and as with anything in life, you should always try to get something for as little as possible.

Sure, it’s a game of chicken, and as long as we end up with one of the targeted TOR pitchers, all’s well that ends well. If we don’t, our fans will be pretty fired up about the inaction.

I did find it interesting that their apparent insider believes they dropped the deadline Holliday demand and would have settled for Cowser, Ortiz and Beavers. That’s a deal I think we should have made if it was actually on the table then. No idea if it’s accurate though, all I ever remember hearing leaked was Holliday. 

4 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Sure, it’s a game of chicken, and as long as we end up with one of the targeted TOR pitchers, all’s well that ends well. If we don’t, our fans will be pretty fired up about the inaction.

I did find it interesting that their apparent insider believes they dropped the deadline Holliday demand and would have settled for Cowser, Ortiz and Beavers. That’s a deal I think we should have made if it was actually on the table then. No idea if it’s accurate though, all I ever remember hearing leaked was Holliday. 

Agreed. I have no idea how accurate that guy is or has been in the past but that deal should have happened.

15 hours ago, Malike said:

Seems like Getz is asking for too much. He wanted 5 prospects from the Reds (allegedly) and three of them. Lowder, Arroyo, and Phillips are all top 70 prospects.

Edit for perspective. The Reds have a top farm system and CWS asked for their 2, 3, and 4th-ranked prospects. That's Cowser, Kjerstad, and Mayo for us.

I’m not too concerned with what Getz is asking for on Dec. 28.   The real question is what will he accept at the end of the day.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not too concerned with what Getz is asking for on Dec. 28.   The real question is what will he accept at the end of the day.  

This… he really has no incentive to make a decision yet. Keep in communication with everyone, keep firm on what return you want, let them all think about it and possibly sweeten their offers as the clock ticks. 

I wouldn’t expect any deals for at least a month. If there is one, Getz likely got whatever he precisely wanted.

42 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Agreed. I have no idea how accurate that guy is or has been in the past but that deal should have happened.

He has an excellent track record and I would assume what he is saying is true.  However, my guess is that specific ask didn’t take place until near the very end (when it was already too late to have much back & forth) and that Hahn was demanding Holliday up until that point.

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Exactly.  The trick for Elias is to make sure Getz doesn’t get impatient and make a deal with another team for less value than Elias was willing to give up if pushed to it.  But most negotiators don’t get to their bottom line until they have to, and we’re nowhere near that point.  

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m new here, so what is this implying?  Who would be eating crow and for what reasons?

I think he'd (the Husker poster) would be the one eating crow. He previously said there's no way Povich would be traded and the Orioles told Povich he was in their 2024 plans. Implies he knows somebody in the "Povich Camp" but is very cryptic. 

He seems to be cryptically implying that a trade is in the works with Povich as part of it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m new here, so what is this implying?  Who would be eating crow and for what reasons?

HuskerFan somehow knows Povich or someone close to him, and has claimed Povich has been told that the O’s won’t trade him this winter.   Some posters, me included, are skeptical Povich has been told anything of the kind, since teams don’t make promises like that.  So in HuskerFan’s mind, if Povich isn’t traded this winter, the people who were skeptical will be eating crow.  Personally, I don’t see the logic of that.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He has an excellent track record and I would assume what he is saying is true.  However, my guess is that specific ask didn’t take place until near the very end (when it was already too late to have much back & forth) and that Hahn was demanding Holliday up until that point.

Just to piggyback on CWS here…

JamesFox917 is this guys twitter handle if anyone wants to follow him. He has over 10K followers and runs a WS prospect site and has apparently been doing it for a long time and has some inside sources.

He is saying he believes the WS will get 4 players back for Cease. I’m highly skeptical of that unless the 3rd and 4th players are more org filler than anything else.

2 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

No need, @Sports Guy himself is over there now rumbling away with their top posters. Quite an entertaining 10 pages I just caught up on, most people here can take a guess how it’s going 😂

I just read it and threw in my latest two cents over there.  I’d say @Sports Guyis being much more measured over there than he usually is here.   And I pretty much agree with everything he’s said there.  

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just read it and threw in my latest two cents over there.  I’d say @Sports Guyis being much more measured over there than he usually is here.   And I pretty much agree with everything he’s said there.  

It started off with a little bit of “you idiots will be lucky to have Ortiz” vibes but it’s been extremely measured. I’ve really enjoyed reading through both of your interactions over there. 

2 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I think most people here would make that deal. Based on what Elias thinks about Cowser and if he's on the no trade list.