Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, oriole said:

Anyone kinda wish the O’s would bow out at this point? Cease is an okay pitcher but nothing particularly special and the White Sox are being dumb by pretending he is worth half of what they’re asking for. It seems like either this trade won’t get done or the O’s will end up overpaying like crazy for him.

I hope Elias is using this public Cease discussion as leverage to get another pitcher from someone else. 

That exact thought has been going through my head for the last few weeks.

22 minutes ago, Osornot said:

I would sign one of the non-QO FA SP's and move on.  Use some of the other pieces for other areas of need.

Montgomery or Snell takes $20-25M/yr for the shortest amount of time. (maybe a Sonny Gray-type contract (3 years, 75M)?). Is it risky? Overpay? Probably, but our payroll is so ridiculously low is it worth the increased chance to go further in the playoffs?  What about the extra revenue a WS-caliber team that is set up to have a better chance?

We have enough prospects to bolster other areas.  And, IMO, if it is not pitching we would get a much better return trading prospects for more established, i.e., more enticing for rebuilding

What other areas of need do we have though.  I think it is top of rotation starter then few rings down maybe one other right hand pitcher like Braiser.  The next issues is probably to figure out what to do with few veterans to get young guys at bats.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Those last 2 have/need to be cleared from the roster.

I’d love to know @Tony-OHs take on Ortiz at SS with Gunnar at 3rd vs Gunnar at SS with Ortiz at 3B or 2B … and if Westburg would play 2B or 3B. I think the best alignment is Gunner 3B, Ortiz SS, Westburg 2B, and Mayo at 1B 

I think it's an interesting argument that prior to last year I would have told you would not have been close. But Gunnar's improvement's last year and his clearly superior arm does make you think that he might make a few more plays in the hole than Ortiz will. Ortiz though probably has a little more range to his glove side and coming in on slowly hit balls, and his ability to get rid of the ball quickly and accurately is unrivaled. 

What we do know for sure is that Gunnar has way more experience at 3B than Ortiz and while Ortiz did look smooth in the few opportunities, we have to imagine that Gunnar would be better there.

With that said, I think the Orioles best defensive alignment with those two is Gunnar at 3B and Ortiz at SS. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oriole said:

Anyone kinda wish the O’s would bow out at this point? Cease is an okay pitcher but nothing particularly special and the White Sox are being dumb by pretending he is worth half of what they’re asking for. It seems like either this trade won’t get done or the O’s will end up overpaying like crazy for him.

I hope Elias is using this public Cease discussion as leverage to get another pitcher from someone else. 

100%. I'm pretty over it. They should just bail on Cease.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd love for them to get someone else.

But those other options are slowly dwindling.

It’s worth noting that whenever Elias makes a trade, it’s not for anyone we’re discussing. 

It’s also worth noting that he hasn’t been in the market for a solid major league return since he’s been GM. But it would not surprise me whatsoever if whoever we end up seeing in Baltimore is not on any of our radars. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I like Clevinger or Bieber more then giving up to much for Cease.  Clevinger was better than Cease last year as well.  I would stick with an offer of Cowser Ortiz and lottery ticket or two for Cease and if they don’t want that go after Clevinger or Bieber keeping most the prospects.  My order preference.  (Outside of trading for Luzardo) 

1. Bieber for Hays and prospect 10-20 range 

2. Cease for Cowser Ortiz and lottery ticket

3. sign Clevinger 2 years 30 million.  

I could be convinced Bieber is worth a shot.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

One could argue I’ve wasted 10,000 hours by registering and posting over here, so what’s a few more over there? 😎

Honestly, I’ve gotten some useful perspectives from Sox posters over there, which is why I registered and posted there.  But about 90% of it has devolved into a pissing contest, which is too bad.  

They love you.  Can’t say the same for Roll Tide and SportsGuy.  Lol

“Good question. Why the need to repeatedly brow beat Sox fans on a Sox board with such arrogant and ignorant posts is beyond me. @Frobby is more than welcome to stick around though. I appreciate the insight from a knowledgeable O's fan who is level headed and not reactionary in disagreement. 

I suggest the other two meet with a mass ignore list addition.“

• Haha 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

They love you.  Can’t say the same for Roll Tide and SportsGuy.  Lol

“Good question. Why the need to repeatedly brow beat Sox fans on a Sox board with such arrogant and ignorant posts is beyond me. @Frobby is more than welcome to stick around though. I appreciate the insight from a knowledgeable O's fan who is level headed and not reactionary in disagreement. 

I suggest the other two meet with a mass ignore list addition.“

A mass ignore list?

Why wouldn't you just ban them?

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A mass ignore list?

Can you imagine a world where SG is on sports message boards and he’s ignored? Just banging away on his keyboard, running up massive post counts and no one’s replying to him? It’d be a personal circle of hell for him. 

Edited by Moose Milligan

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A mass ignore list?

They haven’t even attempted to have a ram conversation.

Now we have people who live in and around Chicago calling MD sh!tyy.  I mean, I don’t even disagree that MD sucks but when you live in a glass house, don’t throw boulders around and they live in one sh!tyy glass house.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I’m with it. I don’t think he’s nearly as good as the Sox think he is. Lots of good arguments have been made against him in this thread. 

I’m not going to let fan suppositions about the offers on each side or the tactics of the GMs bother me.  I always thought and have said that no Cease deal would happen until mid-January at the earliest.  If the sides are making unrealistic offers now, it doesn’t mean they won’t change their tune as the days and options begin to dwindle.  But I don’t think Elias will do anything shortsighted.  

• Upvote 1