Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

Kjerstad (the second overall pick of the 2020 draft) and Cowser (fifth overall in 2021) are two of the many up-and-comers in Baltimore’s loaded farm system, and both players made their Major League debuts this past season, though with only 110 combined plate appearances.  The duo might well be lined up as the Orioles’ corner outfielders of the future, and it wouldn’t be a shock to see pending free agent Anthony Santander dealt at some point this season if either Kjertsad or Cowser prove themselves capable of being MLB regulars right away.

Of course, it’s not out of the question that the O’s might deal from their deep minor league pipeline at some point this offseason, perhaps to obtain a front-of-the-rotation pitcher like Cease.  Baltimore might be more willing to come closer to Chicago’s asking price due to the sheer number of quality prospects the O’s have on hand, yet considering how many of those youngsters have barely reached the majors or even Triple-A, the Orioles might want more time to evaluate their options before deciding on who might be trade bait.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/dylan-cease-rumors-dodgers-busch-orioles-yankees.html

3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm pretty sure I can throw eephus pitches and 60 MPH fastballs for 150+ innings. Does that make me a better option than Paxton or Ryu? 

There's no way you will get 450 outs with that kind of stuff.

Just now, Gofannon said:

There's no way you will get 450 outs with that kind of stuff.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Seriously… you’re just trolling.

I was making a point. Innings are great, but the quality of those innings matter. Yes players like Paxton and Ryu have inning and injury concerns, but they've demonstrated in the past that can actually be successful when they do pitch. So wouldn't you rather take a chance on one of them and bank on a group of SPs (Irvin, Wells, Hall, etc.) being able to fill in for them then going with one guy the whole time who's almost guaranteed to post an ERA near or above 5.00? And that isn't intended to be an endorsement for Paxton or Ryu as it is a reminder of how truly awful Kyle Gibson has been for an extended period of time. 

Just now, greg775 said:

Geez. There's got to be better MLB ready players than Westburg. 3 bombs? No thanks. Which other MLB or MLB-ready guys could the Orioles trade? The Sox need guys that can hit bombs at our hitters park. 

He showed plenty of power in the minors. I wouldn’t put too much focus on smaller sample size.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Geez. There's got to be better MLB ready players than Westburg. 3 bombs? No thanks. Which other MLB or MLB-ready guys could the Orioles trade? The Sox need guys that can hit bombs at our hitters park. 

Have you thought about moving the walls?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm a member there and have been for years. I just differ from the crowd because I can't stand rebuilds. I don't want prospects that are far from ready. 

We’ll send you Santander then. 

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Seriously ? He hit 27 homers in 2022 and 18 last year before the call up. To think he won’t be a power guy is naive. 

It’s okay … you’re a White Sox fan so all of our guys suck. So you need Mayo or Holiday. 

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Seriously ? He hit 27 homers in 2022 and 18 last year before the call up. To think he won’t be a power guy is naive. 

It’s okay … you’re a White Sox fan so all of our guys suck. So you need Mayo or Holiday. 

Sounds like he'd consider Adley or Gunnar.

I'm not sure Jackson has enough power.

Edited by Can_of_corn

Just now, greg775 said:

27 bombs that season in the minors. Not bad. The power in the majors still scares me. How about a swap for Cedric Mullens? Lefty bat and 15 bombs as a CFer. Sox need lefties and better defense in the OF. 

I send you guys Mullins in a heatbeat.

• Upvote 1

Just now, greg775 said:

Are his advanced stats not so good? I'm sure the statniks on Soxtalk would crucify me for suggesting the trade if that is the case. He hit 30 bombs 2 years ago though. I wonder if he could recreate that year. 

He's older and getting expensive.

Unlike you I like prospects, they are young and cheap.