2023 Orioles #2 Prospect Samuel Basallo - C/1B

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

I do think he's a significant talent but don't want to overread into the results against AA pitchers winding down their seasons.

It’s four games and I’d read virtually nothing into it.  People say he “made it to AA.”   Well, yes he did, but it was just a cup of coffee because the A+ season was over and AA had a few days to go.  I’ll bet if A+ had still been running, Basallo would have stayed there.   The best thing about the promotion is that it virtually guarantees that Basallo starts there this year, rather than being sent back to A+ to begin the season on the grounds that he’d have played only 27 games there.   

• Upvote 1

In another organization, Basallo would be the catcher of the future and looked at as a regular, full time catcher.  He throws out over 30% of base stealers and “improved” his blocking and receiving.   At 18!   This ain’t Chance Sisco!   

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

In another organization, Basallo would be the catcher of the future and looked at as a regular, full time catcher.  He throws out over 30% of base stealers and “improved” his blocking and receiving.   At 18!   This ain’t Chance Sisco!   

That's what he is in this organization.

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Carlos Delgado stays my favorite yardstick as long as we're still playing him at catcher.

Delgado stayed behind the dish 100% until his age 22 season.     He played LF when the Blue Jays first used him in 1994.     During 1995 1B replaced OF and then he never played anywhere else.

Delgado is a guy who WAR isn’t kind to and therefore didn’t get any HOF love. It’s not like he didn’t walk, he walked a good amount. He was one of his generations best power hitters. 

.929 career OPS outright ignored. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Well, the gold standard for catchers might be Pudge Rodriguez who debuted at 19 and was a GG/AS at 20. But I don't think Basallo stays at C.

I’m not sure he won’t stay at C.  But he won’t be our starting C any time soon.  

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

By the time Basallo plays regularly in the majors in 2025, Adley will be on his 4th year in the majors.  I can see Basallo being Adley's backup for 2 years. He also play 1B/DH.

And he'll probably play more at Catcher than McCann currently is.