2023 Orioles #2 Prospect Samuel Basallo - C/1B

Tony-OH

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Yes.

I'm very excited about him.

But he might not stick at Catcher and he has some minor league Mountcastle in his game.*

His bat to ball skills are so advanced he hasn't needed to learn to be selective so we don't know if he will develop that skill.

*I have not seen him play, I am not a scout, I am going off of what I have read.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s the way the wind swirls.

But his power and his EV numbers are huge. He is a guy that could do it.

But it’s definitely a real challenge.

Im not sure he ever played at OPACY but the best bet to have done it would have been Bonds. No doubt in my mind if he played a season on the Orioles, he would have done it. 

57 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But he might not stick at Catcher and he has some minor league Mountcastle in his game.*

His bat to ball skills are so advanced he hasn't needed to learn to be selective so we don't know if he will develop that skill.

*I have not seen him play, I am not a scout, I am going off of what I have read.

He had 19 walks and 20 strikeouts at Aberdeen so it seemed like he was trending in the right direction as the season wore on.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mountcastle had .343 OBP vs .314 AVG at Frederick. 

Basallo had .444 OBP vs .333 AVG at Aberdeen. And lefty. Seems like a different type of hitter. 

I agree Basallo vs Holliday is a stretch due to Holliday's high floor but Basallo's ceiling is insanely high. 

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Mountcastle had .343 OBP vs .314 AVG at Frederick. 

Basallo had .444 OBP vs .333 AVG at Aberdeen. And lefty. Seems like a different type of hitter. 

I agree Basallo vs Holliday is a stretch due to Holliday's high floor but Basallo's ceiling is insanely high. 

Mountcastle (BB / K)

2016   25  96

2017    17   96

2018    26  79

2019.    24  130

Basallo

2023      61   93

8 hours ago, Dunk35 said:

Im not sure he ever played at OPACY but the best bet to have done it would have been Bonds. No doubt in my mind if he played a season on the Orioles, he would have done it. 

I saw Bonds hit #675 at Camden Yards. Inside outed a pitch he didn’t get all of to left/center and it barely got out. Made it to the first or second row. 

That day was a banner day for PED usage at Camden Yards. Raffy hit two in that game which moved him past someone like Mantle or Schmidt on the all time list. I think the Orioles lost. 

10 hours ago, Dunk35 said:

4:30 into this highlight video is Bonds putting one on the flag court.