2023 Orioles #2 Prospect Samuel Basallo - C/1B

Tony-OH

I mentioned this the other day but something to keep in mind with him is that he is the most likely top guy we have that will sign an extension.

He is young…we could have him for 10-12 years and it may not cost a lot, relatively speaking.

Obviously we are far away from this but just something to keep in the back of our minds.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wow, what a glowing report.   I wish his catcher defense outlook was a little rosier, but you really couldn’t have complimented the bat any higher than you did.  

I have to be honest, I've never seen a bat with as much promise as his in the 27 years I've been scouting the Orioles minor league system. His power is so easy, his strike zone judgement jumped so quickly, and even his ability to pick up spin is just very, very impressive. 

It would not surprise me if Basallo is not the #1 prospect on this list next year, even if Holliday is still eligible. I truly thought about jumping him to #1, but ultimately, Holliday has already had success at the upper levels so his risk factor is a bit lower. Ceiling wise though, Basallo is #1 on this list.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It would not surprise me if Basallo is not the #1 prospect on this list next year, even if Holliday is still eligible. I truly thought about jumping him to #1, but ultimately, Holliday has already had success at the upper levels so his risk factor is a bit lower. Ceiling wise though, Basallo is #1 on this list.

I think you said the opposite of what you meant to say in the first sentence.  That second “not” shouldn’t be there, right?

I was revisiting this list, and the top six are pretty ridiculous.   Not only are they all really good prospects, but five of them have reached AAA already, including three who’ve tasted the majors.  And then there’s Basallo in AA, coming on like a freight train.  It’s a great time to be an Orioles fan.  

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I have to be honest, I've never seen a bat with as much promise as his in the 27 years I've been scouting the Orioles minor league system.

Quite the statement.  

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Imagine if Kjerstad, Basallo and Mayo hit their power upsides. That’s a legit 3 40+ homer type guys, with Adley, Gunnar and Holliday surrounding them.  

The '27 Orioles Murderer's Row!  Gunnar's a 30+ HR guy himself.  

The state of the org is in a pretty special spot right now.

• Upvote 1

Glowing report, looking forward to reading the one about Holliday here in a minute.

The size does give me a bit of pause, he sounds like he's built like a young Frank Thomas.  And Frank Thomas in 1990, 1991 was a pretty imposing guy but by the end of the decade he was closer to Cecil Fielder.  

But whatever, it's really exciting to have him in the system.  Glad to see the international efforts paying off.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I mentioned this the other day but something to keep in mind with him is that he is the most likely top guy we have that will sign an extension.

He is young…we could have him for 10-12 years and it may not cost a lot, relatively speaking.

Obviously we are far away from this but just something to keep in the back of our minds.

Completely agree; his upside with the bat and very young age makes him the most logical player to sign to an early extension.  However, we all know what JA thinks about extensions....

41 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Get ready for the extra pick in the 2026 draft because this guy is looking like the 2025 rookie of the year.

Could he be in the running for a #1 MLB prospect for a 4th straight year entering 2025? Very exciting.

Curious to hear thoughts/reports on the defense. Are there any comps for 35/45 level catchers sticking there in MLB?

• Upvote 1