Jose Quinatana?

Aristotelian

Had an injury in spring training so he didn't get started til July. After that, he pitched to a solid 3.50 ERA, 1.6 WAR/1.5 fWAR with 7.1 K/9 and 2.9 BB/9. When healthy he still seems to be a 3 WAR-ish level pitcher. Lefty making $13M with one year of control. Should cost practically nothing, Mets have incentive to cut payroll. Would reduce the pressure on Means to be that #3 LHP. Figure the two of them might combine for 200 IP when healthy. I don't reallly see a downside. 

Would he be an upgrade over Gibson? Even if he is a lefty version of Gibson that could help. 

What would be enough to get him? Could some combination of Urias/Mateo/Baumann/Akin/Baker do it? Maybe Horvath or lower prospects in the mix?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’d be interested at the right price. I looked at their list of needs. It’s seems like an OF is an area of need. It also mentions RP and SP. so I guess if they are going to spend lavishly on Yamamoto and another guy Quintana might be movable. So would they be interested in Hays?

Hays might be too much for just Quintana. 

5 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

I don't follow them closely...are the Mets expecting to compete this year? Have they indicated payroll will be slashed significantly and/or are signs pointing to a tank? Their rotation looks light on actual major league starters. 

I haven't followed them closely either, but they did trade off Scherzer and Verlander. Seems they might have traded off Quintana if he had been healthy at the time. They don't seem like the type of organization to ever go full tank mode, but they may try to retool. Even if they try to compete this year or make a run at '25, they may need to free up some salary to sign Yamamoto or Shohei. 

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Hays might be too much for just Quintana. 

I haven't followed them closely either, but they did trade off Scherzer and Verlander. Seems they might have traded off Quintana if he had been healthy at the time. They don't seem like the type of organization to ever go full tank mode, but they may try to retool. Even if they try to compete this year or make a run at '25, they may need to free up some salary to sign Yamamoto or Shohei. 

Perhaps …but Hays at two years would be better than giving up prospects that yield 15 years of control. Do you think they’d be interested in Stowers? If they want to compete I’m guessing they’d want a proven commodity. I expect they will be in on Yamamoto or Othani. So Quintana is a relative bargain to keep in your rotation. So I’m not sure if he’s available.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Had an injury in spring training so he didn't get started til July. After that, he pitched to a solid 3.50 ERA, 1.6 WAR/1.5 fWAR with 7.1 K/9 and 2.9 BB/9. When healthy he still seems to be a 3 WAR-ish level pitcher. Lefty making $13M with one year of control. Should cost practically nothing, Mets have incentive to cut payroll. Would reduce the pressure on Means to be that #3 LHP. Figure the two of them might combine for 200 IP when healthy. I don't reallly see a downside. 

Would he be an upgrade over Gibson? Even if he is a lefty version of Gibson that could help. 

What would be enough to get him? Could some combination of Urias/Mateo/Baumann/Akin/Baker do it? Maybe Horvath or lower prospects in the mix?

Two out of three of Mateo/Baumann/Akin would be pretty fair, but I doubt the Mets do that. Baker and Urias would be pretty significant overpays.

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Two out of three of Mateo/Baumann/Akin would be pretty fair, but I doubt the Mets do that. Baker and Urias would be pretty significant overpays.

I actually would do Baker and Urias for Quintana in a heartbeat, but I don't see why the Mets would do it. (Ditto for two out of three of Mateo/Baumann/Akin and my belief the Mets wd not do it.)

• Upvote 2

Not sure why anyone would think Quintana is available. Mets are probably looking to add to their pitching, not subtract from it. 

With that being said, if he was available then I’d have no problem giving up Urias or Mateo for him. I think it’s more fun to imagine going after a Quintana/Alonso package. Say…Kremer/Urias/Mountcastle? That’s give the Mets some more controllable pieces and the O’s would get some better proven vets on one year deals while we wait to see if Mayo can be the 2025 1B. The reason I’d value “proven vets” over these particular “controllable pieces” is that the lineup is already going to be heavy on rookies. 

Anyways, that’s a just for fun scenario. Neither the Mets or the O’s would be making moves of that kind. 

2 hours ago, LA2 said:

I actually would do Baker and Urias for Quintana in a heartbeat, but I don't see why the Mets would do it. (Ditto for two out of three of Mateo/Baumann/Akin and my belief the Mets wd not do it.)

You would trade a 2-3 WAR infielder with three more years of control and more for one year of a 3 WAR pitcher? I wouldn't.

Edited by ChosenOne21
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

You would trade a 2-3 WAR infielder with three more years of control and more for one year of a 3 WAR pitcher? I wouldn't.

We have a surplus of talented infielders and we don't need Urias for 3 years; I would guess that he peaked in 2022 and is most likely a utility infielder--albeit a good one--for the O's. I'd rather give him and Baker up--or, alternatively, Mateo and one of Akin or Baumann--than pay more than GIbson money for a starting pitcher.

Edited by LA2

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Jose Quintana is a guy i liked during last offseason. He can provide good value at a bargain price. Only major concern is you probably won't get alot of innings out of him like you had from Gibson.

I like the fact that Quintana is left handed and seems to perform decently when he plays.

Unless we are looking for deep depth at high prices (we aren’t, we are the Os) I’d say there is very little to zero chance they are considering Quintana.  He’s not an innings eater and he isn’t a playoff difference maker.  He’s more of the same to what we already have.  

13 hours ago, LA2 said:

We have a surplus of talented infielders and we don't need Urias for 3 years; I would guess that he peaked in 2022 and is most likely a utility infielder--albeit a good one--for the O's. I'd rather give him and Baker up--or, alternatively, Mateo and one of Akin or Baumann--than pay more than GIbson money for a starting pitcher.

I'm not saying the deal wouldn't make us a better team. I'm saying it's a pretty considerable overpay.

BTW, I think you're really undervaluing Baker. Above-average relief pitchers with four years of team control don't grow on trees.