Naoyuki Uwasawa Offer Being Prepared?

Can_of_corn

3 hours ago, Safelykept said:

legit #1-2 starter with 3+ years of control. Who is that? That was Dylan Cease 2 years ago, and it would have cost you a top 3 as a headliner. Today Ortiz or Cowser, possibly Kjerstad as headliner. Come on lets get this Cease thing done.

Sorry. Stepped away for a few hours and just saw this response. Just to be clear, I was specifically thinking of a pitcher more valuable than Cease. I do not think you give up 3 top 100 prospects (excluding our top 3) for Cease. I think it could take that plus more for a legit guy with more control. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Nope.  But the cost of getting one is significantly higher than the likely cost of getting Cease.  

Exactly my point. Not sure I worded it perfectly in my original post a few pages ago.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't particularly like the "well, if they worked their magic with DC, they can work their magic with NU" argument as painting in broad strokes isn't always a great idea...but maybe they can  If they see that the stuff is similar, they should be confident that they can get similar results.  I mean, that's what you want in a front office like this that is starting to get a reputation for being able to turn guys around.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

What you just showed is why it’s dumb to sign this guy…because you can get that level production for less money and no gtd spot. Thanks for proving my point.

I get your focus on targeting elite-level guys, but your dismissal of Elias' ability to find untapped talent is absurd. 

The bottom line is that Elias is better at finding guys than you are. He's better than most of the majors are. He's really good. We're lucky to have him and we should defer to him on deals like this one, waiver claims, Rule V guys, etc.

That doesn't mean he'll hit 100% or that he shouldn't also go after top flight talent. But to get worked up over guys like Coloumbe or this guy is just silly. You don't know what they saw in these guys. But they see something that you're incapable of seeing (as am I). Just admit that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I get your focus on targeting elite-level guys, but your dismissal of Elias' ability to find untapped talent is absurd. 

The bottom line is that Elias is better at finding guys than you are. He's better than most of the majors are. He's really good. We're lucky to have him and we should defer to him on deals like this one, waiver claims, Rule V guys, etc.

That doesn't mean he'll hit 100% or that he shouldn't also go after top flight talent. But to get worked up over guys like Coloumbe or this guy is just silly. You don't know what they saw in these guys. But they see something that you're incapable of seeing (as am I). Just admit that.

WTF are you talking about?  I have said several times on here in this thread that the reason I wouldn’t sign this guy is because of Elias’ success in signing scrap heap guys.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

WTF are you talking about?  I have said several times on here in this thread that the reason I wouldn’t sign this guy is because of Elias’ success in signing scrap heap guys.

So you respect his ability to sign guys off the scrap heap but not his ability to sign a guy for $2-4 million?

If Elias thought he could get equal guys off the scrap heap, don't you think he'd just do that?

32 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

So you respect his ability to sign guys off the scrap heap but not his ability to sign a guy for $2-4 million?

If Elias thought he could get equal guys off the scrap heap, don't you think he'd just do that?

He has gotten equal guys.  That’s the point.

And quite frankly, his cheaper gtd signings have been less successful than his non gtd league minimum type signings.

This is just a fact.

Plus, it’s not guaranteeing a roster spot to someone.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Now I was probably the biggest voice against the Frazier signing and I was right. That signing never made sense for the dollar amount and the players already on hand.

You had a ton of company.  In the poll you conducted, more than 2/3 of the voters opposed signing Frazier.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You had a ton of company.  In the poll you conducted, more than 2/3 of the voters opposed signing Frazier.  

0.3 fWAR, 1.7 rWAR. By rWAR, he might have been worth the $8 million. Definitely not by fWAR though, which we consider more accurate I guess. 

He wasn't as bad as I thought he would be at first, until he was. 

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He has gotten equal guys.  That’s the point.

And quite frankly, his cheaper gtd signings have been less successful than his non gtd league minimum type signings.

This is just a fact.

There have been fewer Fraziers than cheap guys, so it stands to reason that more of the cheap guys would succeed. Either way, it's an extremely small sample size and certainly not reflective of what Elias thought when he signed guys.

And it's guaranteeing a 40 man spot, but not necessarily a 26 man spot. Maybe on opening day, but the guy would have options and I assume we'd use them if necessary.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Funny…I read it as him pouring some water on it…not fully but mostly.

Yeah he does say later he hasn't seen any national reports on it, just the Japanese media one. Mostly it just sounds like he doesn't know anything and is filing his daily blog. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

And it's guaranteeing a 40 man spot, but not necessarily a 26 man spot. Maybe on opening day, but the guy would have options and I assume we'd use them if necessary.

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don't think we know one way or the other until we know the details of the contract whether he would be guaranteed a spot. It does seem most of the Japanese players that come over have a clause allowing them to refuse an option. But do we know if that is true in every case? This would matter more to me than the money at the level being discussed so far. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think we know one way or the other until we know the details of the contract whether he would be guaranteed a spot. It does seem most of the Japanese players that come over have a clause allowing them to refuse an option. But do we know if that is true in every case? This would matter more to me than the money at the level being discussed so far. 

The Os are very unlikely to pay someone a 7 figure salary (over like a million bucks) and send them to AAA. Thats just reality.