Pre winter meeting reliever notes

SemperFi

Jon Heyman of the New York Post reports that the O’s have been in contact with each of Josh Hader, Jordan Hicks, Craig Kimbrel and Aroldis Chapman. All four hurlers fit the general profile of a late-inning arm, although they’re clearly in different tiers of free agency.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/11/orioles-have-shown-interest-in-josh-hader-jordan-hicks.html

He thinks Milwaukee will not move Burnes, he also confirmed that the Orioles wanted Cease at the deadline and they are the best match for him.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The one year closers make the most sense.  Kimbrel, Robertson (I know he wasn’t mentioned), or Chapman.   I don’t see them spending for Hader.  Hicks is possible but unlikely.  I’d guess Robertson with Kimbrel 2nd.

Why not Neris on the list?

6 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Why not Neris on the list?

Elias has said he would like someone with closers experience. Not really sure why that matters.

I also think they only want a one year option at closer.

I get that they expressed interest in Hader, if that’s true, but that really means nothing with this team. 

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The one year closers make the most sense.  Kimbrel, Robertson (I know he wasn’t mentioned), or Chapman.   I don’t see them spending for Hader.  Hicks is possible but unlikely.  I’d guess Robertson with Kimbrel 2nd.

Robertson on a 1yr/10mil deal seems about the most we can afford. If that’s all we have to spend then I hope we trade for Quintana and put Wells at closer. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Robertson on a 1yr/10mil deal seems about the most we can afford. If that’s all we have to spend then I hope we trade for Quintana and put Wells at closer. 

I like this idea.  Maybe he's not ALWAYS the closer, but he has the stuff to be a very good high-leverage guy.

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Elias has said he would like someone with closers experience. Not really sure why that matters.

I also think they only want a one year option at closer.

I get that they expressed interest in Hader, if that’s true, but that really means nothing with this team. 

Hader does make a lot of sense for the team but I tend to agree that he'll probably price himself out of Baltimore. The only way it happens is if the old heart strings are pulled a bit and he wants to pitch in front of friends and family.

I wonder how many years he's looking for. He'll be 30 next year. I'd love to sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal since you don't really know how Bautista will come back from TJ.

I would not go more than 3 years to sign him though. 

• Upvote 4

• Tony-OH changed the title to Pre winter meeting reliever notes
4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Hader does make a lot of sense for the team but I tend to agree that he'll probably price himself out of Baltimore. The only way it happens is if the old heart strings are pulled a bit and he wants to pitch in front of friends and family.

I wonder how many years he's looking for. He'll be 30 next year. I'd love to sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal since you don't really know how Bautista will come back from TJ.

I would not go more than 3 years to sign him though. 

Sure, 2-3 years would be great but he will get 4-6 years and even if he would sign for 2-3 years, I’m guessing his AAV will be higher than the Os will spend.

Kimbrel, Robertson and Chapman will all get 1 year deals. The Os probably sign one of them. I would rather trade for Kopech and move him to the back of the pen personally. I think his upside is higher than those guys and you can likely acquire him for a “bargain” relative to the cost of established high leverage relievers.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, oriolefan1035 said:

Ownership issues aside, my preference would be to use resources to extend Gunnar and Holliday through their prime career years if possible rather than sign a highly paid reliever. Realizing that won’t happen, let’s go Hader and try to win while they’re here.

If those signed those 2 guys to a contract today, it would have absolutely zero impact on the payroll this year, next year or 5 years from now. 

Those players are already signed for the next several years. They aren’t going anywhere. All the long term extension does is keep them under contract an extra 1-2 years. Thats it.  

2 minutes ago, oriolefan1035 said:

Ownership issues aside, my preference would be to use resources to extend Gunnar and Holliday through their prime career years if possible rather than sign a highly paid reliever. Realizing that won’t happen, let’s go Hader and try to win while they’re here.

They COULD do both.  I wouldn't want to sign Hader to anything more than 4 years.   Gunnar and Holliday could be under contract at relatively low salaries for that time.