Cubs: $0
Mariners: $0
Marlins: $0
Padres: $0
Rockies: $0
Twins: $0
Yankees: $0.

13 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Would you do that if you were the Marlins GM?

If I were the Marlins GM, I would be looking for more cost controlled assets but ECab, who does have a high ceiling, only has so much value now.

Now, perhaps he’s the guy you keep and try to fix but if I’m able to get a more cost controlled asset that can help me win now, that would be my preference.

So, this puts someone like Mountcastle more on the table.  Maybe Norby involved. 

17 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

After reading a lot of Bowden’s articles over the years he doesn’t strike me as a guy who really has his ear to the ground when it comes to trades. His articles seem to be a lot of “this could make sense for these teams,” not “my sources are telling me this…”

“I used to be a GM, and if I was still a GM, which I’m not, because I was really bad at the job, here’s what I’d be proposing…”

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

We do it on OH for free. Who’s dumber, the guy that gets paid to make up trades that will never happen or the people who do it for free? 🤣

It's not a question of who's dumber. We're not trying to sell snake oil like half of the talking heads. Honestly it amazes me that someone was even willing to give Bowden a platform from which to spew his uneducated and unresearched speculation after he was accused of skimming prospect money when he worked for the Nats. 

15 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Would you do that if you were the Marlins GM?

No, but I might consider a Mountcastle / Urias for Cabrera deal if I were the Marllins . I get the sense they might have lost faith in Cabrera just like the A's lost faith in Luzardo before the Marlins traded for him. In that instance an older S. Marte was enough to land Luzardo so I think a Mountcastle/Urias package would be comparable. The Marlins could shift Bell to DH and play Mountcastle at 1B and platoon Berti and Urias at SS. I'm usually skeptical when someone puts on their orange tinted glasses and suggests that we might be able to trade one of our veterans for a solid prospect, but in this case I think it actually might make sense.

5 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I don't think trading our win-now vets for a guy with Cabrera's 6.0 BB/9 last year really is the move we should be focusing on. He'd have been a great pickup before our winning window IMO.

We have more win-now vets than we need to win now. 

I think the fact Cabrera can post a decent enough season despite that sky-high walk rate shows how strong the rest of his skills are, and how much potential is there if a team can just help him keep the walks at his 2022 levels. 

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

We have more win-now vets than we need to win now. 

I think the fact Cabrera can post a decent enough season despite that sky-high walk rate shows how strong the rest of his skills are, and how much potential is there if a team can just help him keep the walks at his 2022 levels. 

That's a fair response and I would understand and be excited about the move if they decided to do that. I just think they're counting on Santander more this year as the MOO bat and don't want to easily part with him over a potential project, even if it clears the way for Kjerstad/Cowser.

24 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I don't think trading our win-now vets for a guy with Cabrera's 6.0 BB/9 last year really is the move we should be focusing on. He'd have been a great pickup before our winning window IMO.

I do not disagree, but if you are hellbent to not trade the coming replacement you have to pull the trigger on opening the door for those replacements. 

The risk window is what Elias believes he can do with the new pieces. I could see a deal like this if only because it keeps a large controlled core intact. 

In general I like keeping Santander. But if Elias moves him I think he believes the package is worth the risk of keeping him and hoping he is worthy of a QO. 

I am fine with getting one more reliever this off-season and staying put. The only 2 contracts I think were not over inflated were Sonny Gray and Luis Severino. The trade market is insane. Stay with what you have and use a 5 man rotation with Wells/Hall being a split start. 3-4 innings a piece. You also have McDermott in reserve.