MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think the O's will spend the money to get Stroman but I can see them waiting out Lorenzen for a 1/10 with a one year option with a 1M buyout.  

Britton's projection

1 year, $11 million

https://theathletic.com/5029170/2023/12/19/free-agents-mlb-list/

I see what you're saying, but if we wanted to do a 1/11 type deal we would've just kept Gibson and stick with the devil that we know.  We traded for Irvin last year and he was kind of a spare part after a rough start.  Irvin has a much better track record of being a SP than Lorenzen.  I think we sell Irvin because he was our "big move" last offseason, and people want to see us make a splashy trade or FA big name signing.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

I believe Stroman's camp would reject Giolito ballpark offers, and figure his market should be Sonny Gray similar.

With that being said, the scenario where Mike Elias breaks the 1-year ceiling probably looks like the one where the pitcher who ought to get 3-4 years ends up having to settle for 2.

If Mike Trout isn't too distracted watching the maybe snowstorm, these are kind of the weeks if he's going to say anything big about his future that might shape the rest of the offseason.    I suppose he's watching the Angels Blake Snell rumors with some interest.     Snell's outcome probably of interest to Stroman and Montgomery.

The NL playoffs will already be really good, but they could be more good if Mike Trout was on the Phillies.

Money for Stroman and keeping all the Bats might let Cole Irvin have some silly kind of 19-0 record for Norfolk.

44 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think the O's will spend the money to get Stroman but I can see them waiting out Lorenzen for a 1/10 with a one year option with a 1M buyout.  

Britton's projection

1 year, $11 million

https://theathletic.com/5029170/2023/12/19/free-agents-mlb-list/

Which is pathetic of them.

Not saying you're wrong, but would again show the Orioles are not serious about actually upgrading the team in the offseason. 

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm glad Ross feels really good about the team that they have.  I feel really good about their chances to underperform, too.

Bassitt had a pretty good year for them and might post some better overall numbers given that he gave up 9 ER in his first start.  We also tuned him up for 8ER later in the year.  They have a good rotation.  Suspect bullpen.  Overrated lineup.  

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bassitt had a pretty good year for them and might post some better overall numbers given that he gave up 9 ER in his first start.  We also tuned him up for 8ER later in the year.  They have a good rotation.  Suspect bullpen.  Overrated lineup.  

The Jays are part of the reason I don't want to trade Mountcastle. It never gets old watching him randomly torch them all year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

I believe Stroman's camp would reject Giolito ballpark offers, and figure his market should be Sonny Gray similar.

With that being said, the scenario where Mike Elias breaks the 1-year ceiling probably looks like the one where the pitcher who ought to get 3-4 years ends up having to settle for 2.

If Mike Trout isn't too distracted watching the maybe snowstorm, these are kind of the weeks if he's going to say anything big about his future that might shape the rest of the offseason.    I suppose he's watching the Angels Blake Snell rumors with some interest.     Snell's outcome probably of interest to Stroman and Montgomery.

The NL playoffs will already be really good, but they could be more good if Mike Trout was on the Phillies.

Money for Stroman and keeping all the Bats might let Cole Irvin have some silly kind of 19-0 record for Norfolk.

Cole Irvin isn't that good to be 19-0 anywhere.

6 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Though this was interesing:

Braves, Chris Sale Agree To Two-Year Deal - MLB Trade Rumors

The Braves must be pretty confident in Sale's effectiveness/health for the next two years.

The Braves are doing some weird stuff this offseason. I don't know why you wouldn't just pay Sale $500,000 this year and see if he stays healthy first. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Mets just paid $10 million for Harrison Bader, a CF who posted a 69 OPS+ last year and negative rWAR. 

What in the world? 

Maybe Mateo has a little value?