Hall vs one year deals

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh, so we don't know, you are speculating.

Which is fine and all that you are speculating and you might even be correct in your assumptions.

But we don't know.

For the record I'm fine with a five and dive guy at the end of the rotation, if the five are good.  It's the nature of the game at this point.

He’s yet to pitch 100 innings in his professional career. I said struggles to reach 5. 84 is tops since Covid 

15 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

What do you guys prefer between Michael Wacha and this plan?

I think I prefer D.L. Hall but Wacha isn't bad, is he? 

I want nothing to do with Wacha. There is no reason to acquire anyone (outside of minor league FA type guys) that doesn’t help us in the playoffs and have limited upside.

At least Hall brings us an element of big upside that could be a difference maker…even if it’s a long shot, the chance is there.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

We know what Hall can do IMO. He’s going to struggle to go 5 innings and get exposed on his 3 or 4th best pitch. That results in a5-6 ERA. What 1 inning relief appearances have done is allow him to throw 100% all of the time and dump the lesser pitches.

I don’t think we know what Hall can do as a starter.   He was developing nicely at the end of the year.  I’m a little skeptical that he can get through 5 innings in less than 100 pitches in the big leagues, but it’s not because he doesn’t have the pitches.  I’d love to see him come to camp healthy and take his last shot at being a starter.  I think the odds are under 50% but I wouldn't say we know he'll fail.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think we know what Hall can do as a starter.   He was developing nicely at the end of the year.  I’m a little skeptical that he can get through 5 innings in less than 100 pitches in the big leagues, but it’s not because he doesn’t have the pitches.  I’d love to see him come to camp healthy and take his last shot at being a starter.  I think the odds are under 50% but I wouldn't say we know he'll fail.  

And as I mentioned he hasn’t thrown over 85 innings. So neither he or Wells should be the plan 

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think his stuff and track record justifies the opportunity. Let’s face it, he could fall flat on his face. The thing is, how will he respond to that?

34 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I think his stuff and track record justifies the opportunity. Let’s face it, he could fall flat on his face. The thing is, how will he respond to that?

What track record?

2022 - 21 starts - 82 IP - 48 walks - 4.87 ERA

2023 - 12 starts - 42 IP - 27 walks - 4.46 ERA

He hasn’t proven he can cut it as a starter at AAA.   

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

And as I mentioned he hasn’t thrown over 85 innings. So neither he or Wells should be the plan 

By this logic GRod should never have pitched 163 innings in 2023 after only pitching 75 in 2022.  That is apparently not the way the O's decide how many innings to have their starters pitch.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

What track record?

2022 - 21 starts - 82 IP - 48 walks - 4.87 ERA

2023 - 12 starts - 42 IP - 27 walks - 4.46 ERA

He hasn’t proven he can cut it as a starter at AAA.   

I agree that he really hasn’t, but I do think he showed progress as a pitcher this year at the major league level, after battling some physical issues caused by an offseason injury.  I’m fine with bringing him into spring training and letting him compete for a 5th starter spot if we haven’t made an acquisition that bumps Kremer and Means (in whichever order) down a spot.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I agree that he really hasn’t, but I do think he showed progress as a pitcher this year at the major league level, after battling some physical issues caused by an offseason injury.  I’m fine with bringing him into spring training and letting him compete for a 5th starter spot if we haven’t made an acquisition that bumps Kremer and Means (in whichever order) down a spot.  

He showed progress when put into a reliever role.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He showed progress when put into a reliever role.

In my opinion, he did better in the reliever role in 2023 than he did In that role in 2022.  And I’m not just talking about stats.  He seemed more composed on the mound, less jumpy and fidgety, and didn’t let adversity bother him.  I’d like to think that would carry over as a starter too.   At least, I’d like to find out.