Realistic Free Agent #3 Pitchers

ScGO's

Which teams are still in SP market?  Especially with the recent activity (CIN signing Montas, RedSox signing Giolito, Dodgers likely set).  Maybe Cubs and SFG…who else?  I guess always NY teams, but seems like other GMs moved early either getting their guy or pivoting to planB.

Getting some vibes that the musical chairs could leave some options available for Os among the FAs (personally I like a one year/opt out flier on Paxton).  And every day it seems like less leverage out there for trade partners (Cease, Luzardo).  Maybe patience will pay off for Elias. 

9 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Which teams are still in SP market?  Especially with the recent activity (CIN signing Montas, RedSox signing Giolito, Dodgers likely set).  Maybe Cubs and SFG…who else?  I guess always NY teams, but seems like other GMs moved early either getting their guy or pivoting to planB.

Getting some vibes that the musical chairs could leave some options available for Os among the FAs (personally I like a one year/opt out flier on Paxton).  And every day it seems like less leverage out there for trade partners (Cease, Luzardo).  Maybe patience will pay off for Elias. 

I think there's easily ten teams still looking for starting pitching.

BAL, NYY, NYM, LAA, SFG, BOS, DET, CHC, SDP, TOR just off the top of my head.

The Dodgers are reportedly checking in with Imanaga, so they might not be done either.

To the other point, I'd be happy to see Means extended. I think that could be a real thrifty, good move longterm.

Barring more signings today, it looks like the FA SP rolling into 2024 will be:

HIGH - Snell, Stroman, Montgomery

LOW, upside - Ryu, Paxton

LOW, floor - Clevinger, Manaea, Lorenzen, Odorizzi, Alex Wood

I've liked Paxton too, but his agent has to be smiling at that Montas number telling the bidders like, "Me too!"

I do think from today's roster, without a view of any trades to be named later, I'd prefer Robert Stephenson or David Robertson on the roster to any of the low tier pitchers.

Roster Resource's Payroll Tracker now has CIN up above $100mm, and the laggards at:

MIA 98, CLE 96, TBR 95, BAL 85, PIT 70, OAK 40

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Safelykept said:

Well your either going to extend him soon or not The arb deadline is approaching, this is his last year before free agency. Again i get the injury concerns, that with any player, John Means? just look at his resume hes worth 20 million a year. Risk? of course thats any contract

He needs to show he’s back before you consider extending him.  Makes more sense to spend more money on him when you know he’s back.

MLBTR had an interesting profile on Manaea:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/free-agent-profile-sean-manaea.html

Added a sweeper and has been much better ever since. I could absolutely see him being the kind of mid-rotation budget SP the Orioles would take a flyer on. Still can hit 95. Peripherals look solid. SigHoltBot. Lefty could play well. Etc. 

Kinda talking myself into it if we're not going to make a (notable) trade. There's some hidden upside here. Also fits my stated prediction of not signing anyone beyond 2/$24. MLBTR predicts 2/$22. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Added a sweeper and has been much better ever since. I could absolutely see him being the kind of mid-rotation budget SP the Orioles would take a flyer on. Still can hit 95. Peripherals look solid. SigHoltBot. Lefty could play well. Etc. 

Kinda talking myself into it if we're not going to make a (notable) trade. There's some hidden upside here. Also fits my stated prediction of not signing anyone beyond 2/$24. MLBTR predicts 2/$22. 

I kind of wanted Manaea last season. I'm not sure how high his ceiling is anymore, but he did have an up tick in his fastball velocity last season, which seems like a positve. Plus he's left-handed. If we decide to go the cheap route I wouldn't hate the move. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

It’s reads like his agent wrote it.

It did warm me up to the idea of him as a possibility though. I would hope that if Manaea is the type of target they’re going after, that maybe more than one starter is added. I’d hate to say after one of the best seasons in O’s history that the offseason approach was a couple low floor, low ceiling crapshoot signings. 

10 minutes ago, oriole said:

It’s reads like his agent wrote it.

It did warm me up to the idea of him as a possibility though. I would hope that if Manaea is the type of target they’re going after, that maybe more than one starter is added. I’d hate to say after one of the best seasons in O’s history that the offseason approach was a couple low floor, low ceiling crapshoot signings. 

I guess the question is, is Manaea really that much better than Irvin?