Matt Blood on Jackson Holliday

wildcard

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

To me, I see no reason to prejudge when Holliday comes up.  It depends how he plays, and also how the other infielders on the roster are playing.  They’re not making decisions about Holliday in a vacuum.  

Right. It makes sense for Elias to pump Holliday up as much as it makes sense for Blood to pump the brakes. The door is left open for either scenario, and that's the correct thing to do. 

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

Right. It makes sense for Elias to pump Holliday up as much as it makes sense for Blood to pump the brakes. The door is left open for either scenario, and that's the correct thing to do. 

I don't think any Orioles official says anything publicly without it being thought through with Elias. They are very deliberate in what they say to the media. There is a reason behind everything they say in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think any Orioles official says anything publicly without it being thought through with Elias. They are very deliberate in what they say to the media. There is a reason behind everything they say in my opinion.

And I think that's a good team. These people exude competence.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

he's the 4th best defensive shortstop right now behind Gunnar, Ortiz, and Mateo.

I would even go so far as to say he's the 5th best defensive shortstop right now behind Westburg at #4. (We sometimes forget that Westburg is actually a shortstop who plays all over the infield for utility + flexibility.)

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't see this posted anywhere but it's cool:

https://www.si.com/mlb/orioles/news/mlb-executives-vote-baltimore-orioles-prospect-jackson-holliday-best-hitter-matt9

Baltimore Orioles prospect Jackson Holliday is the No. 1 prospect in baseball. There is little argument there between sites such as MLB.com and Baseball America, two of the most trusted when it comes to prospect rankings.

So, it is no real surprise that when MLB.com polled executives about the best hitting prospect in baseball that Holliday’s name came up. What WAS surprising was the margin between Holliday and everyone else in the poll.

The question was simple — who is the best hitter among MLB prospects? Holliday won. He got a whopping 70 percent of the vote.

The next closest player was Milwaukee’s Jackson Chourio, who received just eight percent. After that it was Texas’ Wyatt Langford, Washington’s Dylan Crews, Texas’ Evan Carter and Tampa Bay’s Junior Caminero.

Execs don’t see a gap between Holliday and everyone else. They see a chasm.

Holliday was the Orioles’ first round pick in 2022 and has tremendous MLB bloodlines. His father is former Cardinals slugger Matt Holliday. If the younger Holliday needed more coaching, all he needed to do was turn to his uncle, Josh Holliday, who is the head coach at Oklahoma State.

But last season was his first in pro baseball. Coming right out of high school, one would expect a learning curve. If there was, Holliday bent it to his will.