What about Mayo?

RZNJ

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Urias, MacKenna, and Mateo gotta go.  Cowser can back up CF and we have 3 guys that can cover SS.  Mayo needs to be on the OD roster.  Like Tony said, I don’t know how you can tell a guy you have to earn a spot and then go back and tell him what he did wasn’t enough.  

This sounds good, but where do they go? If there were a market for them, they'd likely have been gone by now.

8 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I'm wondering whether Mateo's CF play in practice has convinced the Orioles he's not yet ready to be put out there in ST games -- or, even worse, that there's no use in experimenting because he's not going to be an ML-quality backup CFer. I hope neither of those things is true. It just seems like something that ought to be tried to help shape the roster.

Perhaps. It just seems strange when you look at the roster it would seem they've want a right-handed hitting CF to be a handcuff for Mullins. McKenna hasn't hit, but they mat be comfortable still with him as that guy since Elias is usually not to swayed by spring training numbers if he's got major league track records to go by.

6 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Mateo & MacKenna DFA.  Trade Urias for anything.  

There is no chance they DFA Mateo. McKenna, possibly and I'm sure Urias would have been gone if a team sniffed around him at all.

27 minutes ago, Malike said:

This sounds good, but where do they go? If there were a market for them, they'd likely have been gone by now.

Off the roster.  Either trade, DFA, whatever.  Obviously if we can get something for them, great.  But if not their roster spots are more important than they are.  Time to cut bait with all 3 IMO.  

31 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Urias definitely has trade value while Mateo has a little as part of a bigger deal.  But the fact that Westburg and Norby have far more value could mean one or both of them are traded for an impact arm + more.  Urias has strong value because he can play anywhere in the infield and has a decent bat.  Mateo could hang around for a little while for his speed and defense, especially if his bat stays hot for awhile, but it is high time to include him in a trade.  A trade with the Marlins or Dodgers makes too much sense.  

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

👀

Best part about this video is his “comp buddy” Austin Riley leaning over admiring the shot, trying to see where it landed. 

Do they track HR distances during ST? Just wondering where this one ranks all time at the Braves Northport ST park.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It would be nice if Cowser could handle CF.

I don't understand the doubts people have about Cowser's defense. Of course Cowser can handle CF. Will he be as good out there as Mullins or Jones or Devereaux or Blair? Probably not, at least in the beginning. But are those guys really our minimum benchmark for the position? I mean, the Yankees are penciling Aaron Judge in as their starting CF going forward. Is Cowser going to be a worse defensive outfielder than Judge? I doubt it. 

This is the same mindset that people are using to ding Mayo's defense at 3rd. We're used to having a potential GG at the hot corner so anybody who's merely adequate is seen is defective in some way. Mayo's defense at third will be good enough, same as Cowser in CF. 

21 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

Best part about this video is his “comp buddy” Austin Riley leaning over admiring the shot, trying to see where it landed. 

Do they track HR distances during ST? Just wondering where this one ranks all time at the Braves Northport ST park.

That was Coby Mayo's first HR as an Oriole...trust me..it wont be his last...

I know this thread is about Mayo but the implications are roster-wide.

The depth on this team is getting ridiculous, to the point that the quality of A vs. B squads is up for grabs, whether infield or outfield.

Infield: Westburg/Henderson/Holliday + Urias/Mateo/Wong + Mayo, Norby

Outfield: Hays/Mullins/Santander + Stowers/Cowser/Kjerstad + McKenna

Mayo's urgency aside, the outfield crunch is the most concerning, as the second string is all ready but blocked.

Edited by now

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

SFG just put a guy making 3x as much as Mateo on waivers.  Tough decisions need to be made between now and the end of April (preferably by OD).

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

It’s Hays

So who replaces him in LF? I mean you could put Kjerstad in LF as he doesn't have a big platoon difference, but you lose some defensive range and especially arm in LF when you do that. Mateo makes sense because he can backup SS too. 

Saying all that, despite McKenna's terrible spring so far, he very well may still make the team as a 5th outfielder since he put up decent numbers against lefties last year.