O’s Sign Suarez and Perez

Roll Tide

Eno Sarris and Nick Pollack reviewed Suarez's day...there was a classification wonder if all the fastballs were 4-seam or if he had some 2-seams mixed in?

Pollack gave a few details his former colleague and O's fan Alex Fast (now with MLB media) shared on Suarez's day.   This also may be stuff any of you who are this level of Statcast literate can look up on Savant:

Extension 6.7 feet

IVB 16.3 inches

Release height 6.43 feet

He did not get a horizontal break measurement, but that's what they speculated may have helped the pitch be so good that day.

It's probably unrealistic to start to expect Braylin Tavera to emulate Gunnar-Mayo-Basallo type performances, or Albert Suarez to emulate Felix-Cano, right?

Albert Suarez probably is not in the best shape of his life at age 34.5 this spring, but his pitches right now may be the sharpest they've ever been.

Seems clear he's a Baumann-ish high fastball type now, not a Coulombe movement master.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

There’s two choices.  Either he makes the 8 man bullpen or he’s exposed to waivers.  As of today I don’t think he makes the bullpen but it’s borderline.  Assuming Wells and Irvin in the rotation.

1. Kimbrel

2. Cano

3. Coulombe

4. Tate

5. Baumann

6. Perez

7. Albert Suarez

8. Teheran

Akin, Baker can be optioned.   Tate and Cano are the only relievers with options, I believe, which presents a problem of reliever shuttling although GRod, Kremer, and Wells can all be optioned so there’s a chance for some creativity there.

I still think Webb makes it over Suarez as they may want to stretch out Suarez as a depth starter in AAA. Suarez is out of options so when they put him on the 40-man, they will not be able to send him back down so they need to be sure Saurez is going to be in the pen the rest of the year. 

They also may work out a deal to pay Teheran to not opt out and pitch as a starter in AAA as well. 

Either way, Webb threw the ball well enough last year that I think he's a lock for the pen. The issue they have is with guys with a lack of options. While Webb is not a impact reliever, he was very good and able to be used often. 

11 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Eno Sarris and Nick Pollack reviewed Suarez's day...there was a classification wonder if all the fastballs were 4-seam or if he had some 2-seams mixed in?

Pollack gave a few details his former colleague and O's fan Alex Fast (now with MLB media) shared on Suarez's day.   This also may be stuff any of you who are this level of Statcast literate can look up on Savant:

Extension 6.7 feet

IVB 16.3 inches

Release height 6.43 feet

He did not get a horizontal break measurement, but that's what they speculated may have helped the pitch be so good that day.

It's probably unrealistic to start to expect Braylin Tavera to emulate Gunnar-Mayo-Basallo type performances, or Albert Suarez to emulate Felix-Cano, right?

Albert Suarez probably is not in the best shape of his life at age 34.5 this spring, but his pitches right now may be the sharpest they've ever been.

Seems clear he's a Baumann-ish high fastball type now, not a Coulombe movement master.

All of his "movement" numbers are in the spring training tracker.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I still think Webb makes it over Suarez as they may want to stretch out Suarez as a depth starter in AAA. Suarez is out of options so when they put him on the 40-man, they will not be able to send him back down so they need to be sure Saurez is going to be in the pen the rest of the year. 

They also may work out a deal to pay Teheran to not opt out and pitch as a starter in AAA as well. 

Either way, Webb threw the ball well enough last year that I think he's a lock for the pen. The issue they have is with guys with a lack of options. While Webb is not a impact reliever, he was very good and able to be used often. 

Webb doesn’t have any options either.  

On 3/6/2024 at 8:41 PM, Aristotelian said:

Yes, hard to argue with that! 

If we go with the one inning theory what does that do to our bullpen?

Would we be OK with DFA of say Webb to give Suarez a shot?

I don’t know if it would be Webb.