What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?

Frobby

What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?

• Couldn’t be happier - great pitcher, would have been willing to give up more if needed
    • Love it - great pitcher, price is fair and reasonable
    • Like it a lot -great pitcher, but the price was a bit steep
    • Okay with it but nervous - putting a lot of eggs in one-year basket for two good cost-controlled players and a pick
    • Don’t really like it

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/10/24 at 09:23

I assume Elias has been working on this all offseason. I suppose we may never know if the timing is coincidence re: ownership. I actually don't think Angelos would have vetoed the baseball decision, but would he have approved adding $15 million to the payroll? We assume no until he got a guarantee of more cash influx from the sale.

13 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I just want to make sure my position on this is clear.

I want Elias to get his Verlander. Burnes could be that guy. The price is totally fine with me. I'd have even paid more. The reason I hesitate is because it's for 1 year, which means he's not our Verlander unless/until we extend him.

Let's say we lose him this year. Do we trade Tavera and McDermott for next year's Burnes? Even with our system, it's not a sustainable method of talent acquisition.

The good news is I believe Elias thinks Burnes is his Verlander. I think he thinks Rubenstein will try to re-sign him. I believe there's a good chance we do. If that happens, I'm also over the moon. It's just that, right now, all we have to go on with Burnes is his comments last year. 

It’s funny but I have almost no interest in signing Burnes long term. I’m perfectly happy with getting one very good year out of him and the draft pick.  If he has a big year this year, he’s getting 7/210 on the low end. I’m not willing to pay that and he certainly could get more.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I assume Elias has been working on this all offseason. I suppose we may never know if the timing is coincidence re: ownership. I actually don't think Angelos would have vetoed the baseball decision, but would he have approved adding $15 million to the payroll? We assume no until he got a guarantee of more cash influx from the sale.

Elias is so tight lipped. He has done a great job of keeping this under wraps, just as the Brewers GM did as well.

I wonder if this is always how Elias has been or if he has taken any pointers from Eric DeCosta. Would love to know the dynamic there because they are very similar in so many ways and Eric and him do talk and EDC is apparently close with Sig.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s funny but I have almost no interest in signing Burnes long term. I’m perfectly happy with getting one very good year out of him and the draft pick.  If he has a big year this year, he’s getting 7/210 on the low end. I’m not willing to pay that and he certainly could get more.

Agreed.   This is a one and done.   I could see them doing this on a yearly basis if the farm system remains strong.   Find a guy who is a year away from FA then letting them go for a draft pick...could be done for Cease if he bounces back and is not traded at the deadline.

This was a fantastic trade.

Hall: I liked Hall alot, but the fact remains that he hasn't panned out thus far. We have gotten nothing to show that Hall will be a solid big league starter. He has given us 15 innings or so of solid relief work. He is far from a sure thing and his erratic control makes him a risky bet. 

Ortiz: We all know Ortiz is blocked by multiple players, at multiple positions. The front office knows more about Ortiz then we do, so I have to take their opinion that him making the roster was probably not going to happen. Then, he rots away in AAA. Good for Ortiz to get traded. He now has a job in the bigs! Position of strength here.

To me this trade is a steal. We got a one of the best starters in the game, pitching on his walk year. He is fiery and has that bulldog mentality. He is the guy I wanted all off-season. 

Elias made a statement and EVERYONE in the MLB heard it.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I'm certainly not going comfortable signing a 30 year old pitcher to a 7 year contract, so if that's what the market brings him, I will thank him for his service and move on, especially since the Orioles have the prospect to still get his replacement if GRod or Bradish hasn't turned into him by then.

But if he would sign a 4-year extension, I think the Orioles have to consider it if he looks like the same guy this season.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Elias is so tight lipped. He has done a great job of keeping this under wraps, just as the Brewers GM did as well.

I wonder if this is always how Elias has been or if he has taken any pointers from Eric DeCosta. Would love to know the dynamic there because they are very similar in so many ways and Eric and him do talk and EDC is apparently close with Sig.

What I like is that despite how tight lipped he is, he still usually tells you straight up what he's going to do, and then does it. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm certainly not going comfortable signing a 30 year old pitcher to a 7 year contract, so if that's what the market brings him, I will thank him for his service and move on, especially since the Orioles have the prospect to still get his replacement if GRod or Bradish hasn't turned into him by then.

But if he would sign a 4-year extension, I think the Orioles have to consider it if he looks like the same guy this season.

That would make the trade amazing but I dont see Burnes doing that. His agent is Boras for one thing. Im thinking he'll be another Snell next winter.

8 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I’m hopeful, but would prefer we signed Montgomery than get one year of Burnes for those two guys.

Ortiz and Hall could have been great pieces for us too. Even this year, especially Hall in our pen.

That said, if we resign Burnes, it’s a home run. As it stands though, we just put a lot of eggs into a one year basket in a sport littered with champions who got hot at the right time.

If we’re doing this, I think we need another high leverage reliever now. 

This is where I am. Sign Montgomery and trading our position prospects/major leaguers for either high level pitching prospects or major league pitchers with 3+ years of control. Not a big fan of 1 year rentals for top prospects.

11 minutes ago, Finisher said:

We have a real owner now who, y'know, can just sign a big arm.

This is the type of move you just have to if you're serious about winning a WS. You need this type of arm in the playoffs.

Now having said that, you're giving up a lot of years of control for one year. Also, Burnes was diminished last year whether we want to admit it or not. Velocity down, strikeouts down. Did make changes and course correct in the second half. This is a Houston in their prime type of acquire slightly diminished Ace and get them back to peak form. Also better stadium, defense, Adley handling.

This is true, but why not just sign the big arm now then? 

Maybe this is a one-time bridge year trade. If so, it is what it is, but I don't love it. I do love having an arm like Burnes and I'd be willing to overpay both in terms of trade price and contract. You have to pay a premium at the top end of the food chain and I think we should to keep him.

But I don't like it as a 1-year approach. 

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Sure..4 years I do in a heartbeat but he and Boras aren’t signing a 4 year deal. This is his one and only chance to get a major deal.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd be willing to go 5 or 6 years at 30 million per, accepting that 1-2 of those years could be washouts for injury.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I voted for the price was fair but could have voted for given up more depending on what players. If we were talking a Hudson Haskin-type guy, I would have packed his bags along with the others.

This is well said. If we had to include a non prospect prospect or something along the lines of moving Urias in the deal or something like that, I am easily including that.