Jackson Holliday spring training watch

Frobby

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Elias is giving me the impression that 2B is Hollidays job to lose.   At this point I’ll be surprised if he’s not on the team OD.    Hopefully, he has a good spring.

I have this impression as well. Holliday is going to have to absolutely tank ST to not make the OD roster.

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

IF Holliday does indeed make the team, where in the lineup would you speculate he'd get most of his AB's?  Would batting lead-off be too much, too soon? Would you ease him into this by batting him in the bottom third of the order? I think it's a matter of time before he finds his way to batting lead off.

Adley and Gunnar were trusted with important PAs in the order early in their careers.  I anticipate, once Holliday proves he can handle MLB pitching, he'll be in the same circle of trust.  It's fair to hope he's our leadoff hitter by the 2024 playoffs.

4 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Adley and Gunnar were trusted with important PAs in the order early in their careers.  I anticipate, once Holliday proves he can handle MLB pitching, he'll be in the same circle of trust.  It's fair to hope he's our leadoff hitter by the 2024 playoffs.

That’s a lot of latitude.   If he hits, I think by June 1.  Maybe sooner.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That’s a lot of latitude.   If he hits, I think by June 1.  Maybe sooner.

He could, not doubt.  I hope you're right and will make the season that much more fun!  If he's a stud top of the order hitter for a playoff run, I'll be happy too.

I just wrote an article for ESR and in the article, I posed this question and I’m curious as to what you guys think.

Tell me which scenario you feel is best(and for the moment, just take the idea of an extension off the board..I know everyone prefers that, so that’s not really a conversation worth having):

1) Holliday starts on OD. Assuming he’s never sent down, you have him for 6 years.

2) Holliday is sent down to gain the extra year but is brought up early to where he’s a super 2 guy (and maybe costs the team another 20-30M) and would accumulate enough time And at bats for the voters to really consider him a viable candidate for ROY (or at least top 2).

3) He stays in the minors until early June. At that point, he is likely past the super 2 date and plays and gets significantly less at bats than option 2, making it harder to get into the top 2 of ROY.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Elias is giving me the impression that 2B is Hollidays job to lose.   At this point I’ll be surprised if he’s not on the team OD.    Hopefully, he has a good spring.

It might be more accurate to say that its his job to win.

I’m not quite ready to hand him 2B on Opening Day. I’m as fired up as any O’s fan to see the kid everyday — but he just turned 20 two months ago, the most games he has played in a year is 125 and he only had 18 games at Norfolk, where his numbers were human in that small sample size.

He could absolutely help the Orioles this season, and could muscle through playing 150+ games, and yet the MLB grind can get to some younger players.

I hope he exceeds all expectations and I loved watching his Dad play here in Colorado.

I’ll also be fine if he gets a little more time at Norfolk before he has to deal with Jeter comps. Kid loves the game, lives the game, he will be fine either way. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I just wrote an article for ESR and in the article, I posed this question and I’m curious as to what you guys think.

Tell me which scenario you feel is best(and for the moment, just take the idea of an extension off the board..I know everyone prefers that, so that’s not really a conversation worth having):

1) Holliday starts on OD. Assuming he’s never sent down, you have him for 6 years.

2) Holliday is sent down to gain the extra year but is brought up early to where he’s a super 2 guy (and maybe costs the team another 20-30M) and would accumulate enough time And at bats for the voters to really consider him a viable candidate for ROY (or at least top 2).

3) He stays in the minors until early June. At that point, he is likely past the super 2 date and plays and gets significantly less at bats than option 2, making it harder to get into the top 2 of ROY.

Unless he absolutely craps the bed in Spring Training, I think he's on the team, and in the lineup on Opening Day......unless there's a really tough left starting against us, then you might see both Westburg and Urias out there with Gunnar.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

2) Holliday is sent down to gain the extra year but is brought up early to where he’s a super 2 guy (and maybe costs the team another 20-30M) and would accumulate enough time And at bats for the voters to consider him in the ROY voting.

I'd love to see #1, but expect to see #3 or down even longer.  #2 doesn't make a ton of sense to me, not so much for the money, but if you want him down for the extra year, then you need to keep him down long enough to ensure that year isn't lost by him getting into the top 2 of the ROY vote.  So I think he's either on the OD roster (slim chance IMO) or he's down for a significant amount of time.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

1). Let's do this. It's not just Holliday's clock that will be ticking. Gunnar and Adley are on the clock, as is Bradish, G-Rod, etc. Keep all of those dudes together as long as possible and keep taking shots. If Holliday is ready now, and it sounds like he is about as ready as he needs to be, then you have to field the best team possible starting OD. We're past the point of saving players for 5 years down the road, at least I hope we are.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It's going to be #1 unless Holliday hits .130 and strikes out 70 times in ST.

24 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Hopefully he doesn't pull a Grayson 

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You play your best players and try to win as many games as possible.

This.  We're at a point, and with the 1 year we will have of Burnes, we should be putting the best players out to win.

Plus, if we keep him down and he comes up and gets first or second in ROTY, we're basically in the same spot as we were with Adley where we lose the year of control anyways.  

• Upvote 1