Jackson Holliday spring training watch

Frobby

Two plays today where Holliday made the play but you could see the arm being “short”.   Both plays had to play the ball without his momentum going to 1st.   First was a one hop liner to deep short.  His throw looped a good 15-20 feet high en route to 1B.  Second was a jam job up the middle.  Not a strong throw but not a looper on a much shorter throw.

We'll see how it plays out but I do somewhat believe in season Mateo or Westburg will be the guys to spell Gunnar a day.     I think its worth something keeping it simple if you are asking a 20-year-old to hold down 2B and adjust to MLB Arms.

I live in Philly so I am able to watch this game. Sure Holliday will have his struggles but I love how aggressive he is at the plate. That first hit off Wheeler was sweet! Should have been a homer in most parks. If he isn’t on the opening day roster, I will be highly disappointed. You got to play him. 

I think you have to start with him at 2B and he can take any lumps necessary on the go like Gunnar did (early) last year. By the end of the year, I'd move to see a top of the order of Holliday - Adley - Gunnar, or in some order anyway.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Two plays today where Holliday made the play but you could see the arm being “short”.   Both plays had to play the ball without his momentum going to 1st.   First was a one hop liner to deep short.  His throw looped a good 15-20 feet high en route to 1B.  Second was a jam job up the middle.  Not a strong throw but not a looper on a much shorter throw.

Yeah I didn't loooove his D today but he did make all the plays at the end of the day. I think he's gonna be fine and get better. I feel like the last game I saw him play his throws were a lot more firm and true. Maybe just weird plays today.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

That was a gift triple for sure. 

But he did hit it 102MPh

Maybe just me but I thought we actually hit like 3 home runs in this game that appeared to get knocked down. I could see wind being a factor here.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah I didn't loooove his D today but he did make all the plays at the end of the day. I think he's gonna be fine and get better. I feel like the last game I saw him play his throws were a lot more firm and true. Maybe just weird plays today.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

That's my point. I've seen him make strong throws when he's able to set and throw.  The two plays today were when he was caught a little flat footed and needed to get rid of the ball quickly.  He got the job done though.

• Like 1