Rubenstein and his “Why”

Master Guns

In one of the articles I read, it was stressed that Rubenstein had never in his life, drunk alcohol or coffee, and that indicates a latter-day Saints background. Is he Mormon? I’m not suggesting it matters much, but I don’t think he’d be the kind of guy who’d lie to your face and sneak the team out of town in the wee hours either…so it might matter a little.

The career path he’s taken, of buying rundown companies, fixing them up and selling them again, makes a lot of money for the boss, but there is a downside as well.

”I enjoy sports” is also less appealing than “ I love the Orioles.”

But so far, he sure gets an A.

23 minutes ago, Philip said:

In one of the articles I read, it was stressed that Rubenstein had never in his life, drunk alcohol or coffee, and that indicates a latter-day Saints background. Is he Mormon? I’m not suggesting it matters much, but I don’t think he’d be the kind of guy who’d lie to your face and sneak the team out of town in the wee hours either…so it might matter a little.

The career path he’s taken, of buying rundown companies, fixing them up and selling them again, makes a lot of money for the boss, but there is a downside as well.

”I enjoy sports” is also less appealing than “ I love the Orioles.”

But so far, he sure gets an A.

This is hilarious.

Seriously? I know it's a message board and encountering various perspectives should be anticipated, but this mopey nonsense looking for the tiniest reasons to be upset is just over the top.

By the way, here's his initial press release statement to make you feel better:

“I am grateful to the Angelos family for the opportunity to join the team I have been a fan of my entire life. I look forward to working with all the Orioles owners, players and staff to build upon the incredible success the team has achieved in recent seasons. Our collective goal will be to bring a World Series Trophy back to the City of Baltimore. To the fans I say: we do it for you and can’t do it without you. Thank you for your support.”

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I see nothing to nitpick in what he said. As a matter of fact I would expect him to make those statements as a smart business man, billionaire, and Baltimore Native who is a life long Orioles fan.  Nothing out of the ordinary there.

I'm excited for his group of investors to be approved and pump sum much needed investments into this franchise and it's talented personnel. It takes money to make money.

• Thanks 1

Honestly, this is a great situation for the new ownership group. They’re buying in at a depressed value and have an opportunity to invest the resources, create a winning culture,  draw in more fans, and ultimately sell (or investors get bought out) at a much higher value in the future. The Orioles were the class of baseball for nearly 20 years from the mid-60s to the mid-80s. I remember when we drew 2M fans for the first time. After their fall in the late 80s, they rebuilt a team that was again top of class in ‘96 and ‘97. We invested in Alomar, Palmeiro, Bonilla. If we get back to that place, this ownership group will be extremely happy.