Probably, but actually the Thrift approach, while flawed in execution was, I think a superior strategy to the Flannagan-Beattie or Flannaga-Duquette strategy of the last few years of acquiring almost ZERO young talent and signing aging has-beens based upon name recognition rather than probable production.

Thrift had an approach? That's news to me. This is the same man who was so clueless about the Mets farm system that he asked the Mets for recommendations in the Bordick trade. And Thrift was pretty good at signing has beens as well (e.g. Segui). Flanagan and crew have at least brought some good young players who might be ready to break in a year or two (e.g. Markakis, Loewen, Ray). The only good thing Thrift did was getting Melvin Mora and R. Lopez. His plan was basically try to sign some free agents and hope to find a diamond in the rough with 6th year free agents. He was awful beyond belief.

But I think that Flanny is just an Angelos lap-dog, doing Pete's bidding rather than formulating an actual winning strategy. Who knows what the FO can really do without Angelos's meddling?

Obviously you can't cite evidence for this type of assertion so it's silly to ask. But I am curious to know why you think Flanny is "an Angelos lap-dog."

Angelos obviously butts in occassaionally but lap dog is bit too far.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously you can't cite evidence for this type of assertion so it's silly to ask. But I am curious to know why you think Flanny is "an Angelos lap-dog."

Angelos obviously butts in occassaionally but lap dog is bit too far.

If your boss continuously butts in and vetoes deals and meddles and you defend it publicly in the press, what does that make you?

You say you are a leader of men yet you think the only reason an employee would defend the decisions of their superiors when questioned, rather than throwing their superiors under the bus, is if the employee is a lapdog. I'm not going to brag about myself here, but I will say that I know a bit about leadership in theory and practice and I know that your statement is simply not correct. You still have a bit of credibility left with me because you're obviously intelligent, but this statement is going to send me over the edge. Are you sure you don't want to soften this stance a bit?

I question anyone who would work for Peter Angelos and not be given the authority to carry out one's responsibilities.

If I had a boss like PA, I'd meet with him privately and demand to be given the authority to do my job. If I didn't get it, I'd quit. Simple as that.

I would not publicly defend my boss's actions if I did not agree with them. That would be insincere and lacking integrity. That said, I wouldn't publicly slam my boss either. I'd just go find a new boss that would let me do my job.

Hope that clears things up. By the way, I have always been the kind of leader/boss that my people like to work with but sometimes I make life difficult for my superiors if they're just looking for a yes-man they can micromanage.

2 games out of first, playing .500 ball, and you think we stink? Man, you should be a Yankee fan with expectations like that. this team IS better this year. Call us in September Sapper.
Comparing this year to last, after 28 games last year, our record was 19-9 and we were in first place. Now, at 14-14, while we're just 2 games out, it also still leaves us in 4th place.

3 HR's, Benson pitched a gem, Patterson 2 hits and Markakis with another double.

Oh, and Williams pitched great

I checked the recap. I think its great that Patterson and Benson are playing much better than I expected.

Comparing this year to last, after 28 games last year, our record was 19-9 and we were in first place. Now, at 14-14, while we're just 2 games out, it also still leaves us in 4th place.

I dont think even the most optimistic fans expected them to start like they did in 2005.

I think we can be comfortable in saying Benson will have a good year if he stay healthy

Maybe we're seeing a Mazzone effect there.

We REALLY need a better BP though or we won't win too many. Winning every 3 days is not good, which is the pace we're on lately.

If your boss continuously butts in and vetoes deals and meddles and you defend it publicly in the press, what does that make you?

Continuously is an overstatement. Angelos butts in occasionally (e.g. demanding Townsend be picked, sending off Bautista) but he doesn't micro-manage. He has his own law firm to run. I emailed John Eisenberg about this once he agreed (Angelos does occassaionlly meddle but it's Flanagan's show).

Archived