Jorge Mateo 2024

Just Regular

52 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Cowser is borderline although I do think he should sit vs some lefties.  His at bats are still excellent and his statcast numbers are great. He is hitting into a ton of bad luck.

Agree about OHearn but I would still make sure he plays vs most righties.

The competition in the outfield isn't great either at this point.  Even with Cowser scuffling at the plate (he looked pretty frustrated today after a couple AB's), I still prefer him in one of the corner outfield spots most nights and/or in center for Mullins.  His sub 200 BA since April needs to go up eventually though - the statcast numbers indicate it should, but still...

Just now, lfallo1 said:

The competition in the outfield isn't great either at this point.  Even with Cowser scuffling at the plate (he looked pretty frustrated today after a couple AB's), I still prefer him in one of the corner outfield spots most nights and/or in center for Mullins.  His sub 200 BA since April needs to go up eventually though - the statcast numbers indicate it should, but still...

I noticed Cowser being frustrated too.

He keeps making contact and isn’t getting hits.

His BABiP is criminally low as of late. Law of averages would have him with several more hits but they just aren’t falling.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

As he has played everyday, his stats have gotten worse. He is playing too much.

I’m not talking about his stats as much as I am the overall progress he has made. The consistency in his approach is better. His timing is better. Things like that.

3 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I’m not talking about his stats as much as I am the overall progress he has made. The consistency in his approach is better. His timing is better. Things like that.

These things were probably said last April too.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They were.  The thing is, they were right.  Until they weren't.

He did have a better approach last April and it's why his results were better.

Ditto for this year.

The question is how long can he maintain the approach?

The answer is probably not indefinitely.  

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They were.  By last June 2, Mateo had put up a .376 OPS in his last 103 PA over 29 games.  So, he’s well beyond the point where he cratered last year.  He’s been a little cold his last 8 games (.506 OPS) but nothing like the arctic stretch he had last year.  

Edited by Frobby

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes, we know. It’s in every other post or so. We expect him to fall off. So be it. Hopefully, by then Holliday is ready. Jorge can go back to a utility role. I think we understand that is the most likely outcome.

15 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

It was very hard to watch Mateo bent over holding head after being hit in the helmet by Mullins.  It was an unfortunate circumstance, and I'm sure we all hope he's okay.

I can’t watch today’s game. What happened?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I can’t watch today’s game. What happened?

Mullins was in the on deck circle and swinging the bat a bit and it appeared to me that Jorge came over beside him to grab something, but Mullins swing hit him in the back of the helmet.  It wasn't a very hard swing, but enough to really affect Mateo.  He was replaced by Urias.

Edited by Greg Pappas

Just now, Greg Pappas said:

Mullins was in the on deck circle and swinging the bat a bit and it appeared to me that Jorge came over beside him to grab something but Mullins swing hit him in the back of the helmet.  It wasn't a very hard swing, but enough to really affect Mateo.  He was replaced by Urias.

Wow. That’s weird. Thanks for description. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Mullins was in the on deck circle and swinging the bat a bit and it appeared to me that Jorge came over beside him to grab something, but Mullins swing hit him in the back of the helmet.  It wasn't a very hard swing, but enough to really affect Mateo.  He was replaced by Urias.

It wasn’t even really a swing, more like a one-handed downward chop just loosening up.  Got Mateo square at the bottom of the back of his helmet.  I’m sure Mullins had no idea Mateo was behind him.

BRob was announcing the game and boy was he horrified about what happened, given the consequences of hitting himself in the helmet with his own bat back in 2010.   Let’s hope this isn’t as serious.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It wasn’t even really a swing, more like a one-handed downward chop just loosening up.  Got Mateo square at the bottom of the back of his helmet.  I’m sure Mullins had no idea Mateo was behind him.

BRob was announcing the game and boy was he horrified about what happened, given the consequences of hitting himself in the helmet with his own bat back in 2010.   Let’s hope this isn’t as serious.  

Super scary.  A 17y/o in Gainesville FL lost his life last December from being hit with a swing. A teammate was swinging inside a batting cage and the bat caught him.  I think folks that have been around the game a lot have seen and heard of similar situations and understand the gravity.  I heard it on the radio and my heart sunk.  I really hope Mateo is OK and it doesn’t turn out to be serious.