Early spring training lineups and what they could suggest

Tony-OH

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Neither Cowser nor Kjerstad would be a big favorite to contend for Rookie of the Year.  Obviously it could happen, but neither one figures to get 500+ at bats even if they’re on the roster on Day 1.   Especially if they’re BOTH on the roster.  So ROY is pretty far fetched in their cases.  

On Draftkings,

Kjerstad is the 9th favorite for AL ROY at +2200

Cowser is the 14th favorite for AL ROY at +3500

It's so early in Spring Training that I'm not reading too much into things. These are all practice games where they want to give guys experience playing different positions.

I expect the positions some players play at to be altered half way through Spring Training and most will be at their slotted starting spots towards the end of Spring Training.

But for right now, it's all experimental unless otherwise noted like a player missing for the moment (I.E. Henderson, etc.)

My impressions after a week of ST games.  I reserve the right to change my mind as we see the rest of ST.   I have both MASN and MLB.TV to get the most looks I can from my couch.

1). Cowser looks ready to help the team.   Much more aggressive at the plate and more comfortable in the  field.    Probably has more range in RF than Santander.   Can hold his own in CF.   Not as fast as Mullins or McKenna but a good backup in CF that probably will hit.  Probably takes McKenna and Hicks place as the 4th OF.   I could see him get one to two starts a week at each of LF, CF and RF which may keep Hays, Mullins and Santander rested.

2.  Mateo, Urias and O'Hearn want to stay.   I think all three know they need a good camp to  earn a spot and break with the team.    So far all three look like they have something to offer.  With Gunnar starting to play in ST games soon I think he probably see Mateo in CF to gauge his ability to play there vs some lefty pitchers.

3.  Wells and Irvin stepping up in their first starts.  We will see how they progress.   Burnes, GRod, Kremer,  Wells, Irvin, Zimmermann and Teheran all will be stretched out to begin the season.  Means hopefully ready sometime in April.   Right now I think Teheran has a good chance to be the long man to begin the season.   Good pickup.

4. I expect McKenna, Maton and Nevin to be DFA'd around OD to get them to AAA.   If Nevin keeps hitting he probably will be claimed.   I notice that Cook is playing some  1B.

5.  I can see Elias keeping Holliday or Mayo to begin the season but not both.   They have options where Urias and Mateo do not.    Injuries will play a role.   At some point there will probably be a trade to open space but not by OD is my guess.

6.  If O'Hearn keeps hitting I don't see Kjerstad making the team on OD.   

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, wildcard said:

My impressions after a week of ST games.  I reserve the right to change my mind as we see the rest of ST.   I have both MASN and MLB.TV to get the most looks I can from my couch.

1). Cowser looks ready to help the team.   Much more aggressive at the plate and more comfortable in the  field.    Probably has more range in RF than Santander.   Can hold his own in CF.   Not as fast as Mullins or McKenna but a good backup in CF that probably will hit.  Probably takes McKenna and Hicks place as the 4th OF.   I could see him get one to two starts a week at each of LF, CF and RF which may keep Hays, Mullins and Santander rested.

2.  Mateo, Urias and O'Hearn want to stay.   I think all three know they need a good camp to  earn a spot and break with the team.    So far all three look like they have something to offer.  With Gunnar starting to play in ST games soon I think he probably see Mateo in CF to gauge his ability to play there vs some lefty pitchers.

3.  Wells and Irvin stepping up in their first starts.  We will see how they progress.   Burnes, GRod, Kremer,  Wells, Irvin, Zimmermann and Teheran all will be stretched out to begin the season.  Means hopefully ready sometime in April.   Right now I think Teheran has a good chance to be the long man to begin the season.   Good pickup.

4. I expect McKenna, Maton and Nevin to be DFA'd around OD to get them to AAA.   If Nevin keeps hitting he probably will be claimed.   I notice that Cook in playing some  1B.

5.  I can see Elias keeping Holliday or Mayo to begin the season but not both.   They have options where Urias and Mateo do not.    Injuries will play a role.   At some point there will probably be a trade to open space but not by OD is my guess.

6.  If O'Hearn keeps hitting I don't see Kjerstad making the team on OD.   

Good points all around.  I think the key is going to be how much time Mateo gets in CF and how he looks.  If he looks good, Cowser’s ability to play CF is not as important.   If Mateo is a viable CF option I think the last spot comes down to Kjerstad vs Cowser.   Big early lead to Cowser but I suspect Kjerstad will come on and win that job.    

56 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Good points all around.  I think the key is going to be how much time Mateo gets in CF and how he looks.  If he looks good, Cowser’s ability to play CF is not as important.   If Mateo is a viable CF option I think the last spot comes down to Kjerstad vs Cowser.   Big early lead to Cowser but I suspect Kjerstad will come on and win that job.    

I agree with this and wildcard. 

1 starting spot for Holliday or Mayo with Gunnar and Westburg. Likely still Holliday but Mayo is putting up a fight. If they want to keep both of their service time clocks from starting, then Maton or Wong will make it and split time with Urias. But I think they take what they think are the 3 best starting IF right now. Norby would conceivably be a contender for this spot but he already started way behind and hasn’t played yet.  

3 bench spots Urías Mateo McCann.

Last bench spot Cowser or Kjerstad, but getting hopefully close to full time ABs coming from O’Hearn, Hays, Mountcastle and off days for Santander (and Mullins, if Cowser). Ideally they become more the starter and O’Hearn the bench bat.  Small chance Stowers can get this spot instead, but he would need both Cowser and Kjerstad to struggle and Cowser has been great.

If Mateo is playing some CF, Kjerstad (or Stowers) can still make it over Cowser. If Mateo isn’t, it pretty much has to be Cowser. 

Cowser currently also has a big leg up on Kjerstad not just because of how much better he’s looked at the plate so far with his off-season work, but also because of defense, having more AAA time and more “mastering” that level, and more MLB time last year meaning Kjerstad will be quicker to get back a year of service time by going back to AAA. 

Out of options McKenna, Nevin, Maton they hope get through to AAA. They and potentially Wong are the AAA depth with whoever doesn’t make the team among Holliday, Mayo, Norby, Cowser, Kjerstad and Stowers, and that group will get their shot as the season progresses either through injuries or trades of Urias/O’Hearn. 

14 hours ago, Say O! said:

Has Mayo proven that he can handle 3B defensively?  

I think the questions wrt Mayo’s defense at 3B are overblown. We’ve been spoiled by having Machado and Urias at the position for most of the last decade which has skewed expectations. I’m betting Coby will be average with the glove at worst, and maybe slightly above average after some settling in. 

If memory serves, there were questions about Westburg’s defense while he was climbing the minor league ladder. Those questions pretty much proved to be non-issues. I expect a similar result with Mayo. 

I think the message board is going to explode if the team breaks campe with Ryan McKenna as the 4th outfielder and Mateo, Urias, OHearn all set in stone while Holiday, Cowser, Kjerstad, + Mayo all start the season in Norfolk. 

People around here tend to underestimate how much the powers making roster decisions like their older experienced vets.

I think one of Cowser/Stowers/Kjerstad has the best chances to make the tram of all the prospects because they've been called up before. 

17 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I think the message board is going to explode if the team breaks campe with Ryan McKenna as the 4th outfielder and Mateo, Urias, OHearn all set in stone while Holiday, Cowser, Kjerstad, + Mayo all start the season in Norfolk. 

People around here tend to underestimate how much the powers making roster decisions like their older experienced vets.

I think one of Cowser/Stowers/Kjerstad has the best chances to make the tram of all the prospects because they've been called up before. 

This could definitely happen, it wouldn’t be surprising at all, but I think people should rightfully be upset if Cowser and Kjerstad both get sent to AAA (or make the roster and don’t play at all). That would be placing a lot of emphasis on needing McKenna’s CF defense, which just doesn’t seem necessary. If they take Stowers over them that would be more reasonable.

Holliday/Mayo going back to AAA has the obvious benefit of the extra year of control so it would be disappointing to have to wait longer and it would potentially mean not going with the optimal lineup for some period of time in an important year, but there’s also a clear positive side to that outcome. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, jcaponio said:

Yea, that’s just about the response I was expecting. 

I made that comment on March 1st.  There’s a big difference between being DFA’d 3/1 vs Opening Day.  He would’ve been claimed in early March.