Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

8 minutes ago, elextrano8 said:

Oh my god can we get some moderation in here???

I would have to check the board rules again. Not sure if it violates anything. It's just an opinion. Btw, I am not a Mod. Just an observer.

• Confused 1

Not to hijack the thread 😉, but here is Elias interview this morning on their decision to keep Jackson Holliday down for OD 2024, and the decision to bring him up this week.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, justD said:

Not to hijack the thread 😉, but here is Elias interview this morning on their decision to keep Jackson Holliday down for OD 2024, and the decision to bring him up this week.

He pretty much verified what was speculated on here.

17 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

It’s offensive and stupid. You are playing arm chair psychologist with a sprinkle of a-hole. If you don’t see why your post is crappy then you need to take a long look in the mirror. 

If I told your family to piss off while important stuff was happening in your life you would find it offensive. Or at least should. Don’t be a d*ck about someone’s family. And if you make crappy posts about someone’s family you should expect some push back. 

I love when people tell other people when to be offended 🤣

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, potota_bread said:

I agree with you about his fielding. That is bothering me more than the hitting at this point. But, I think he will get through it. Cowser looked shaky in CF last year as well when he first got called up

Have there been a bunch of plays he’s blown that I’ve missed? There were the two pop ups where one was probably not even his ball. Anything else? He’s looked competent on his ground ball chances to me.

6 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

The 0-12 or whatever isn't real concerning. Its the constant  strike outs and lack of hard contact. He just seems to be under a lot or pressure. I feel like just hitting a flyball would help him at this point

Willie Mays made his debut on May 25, 1951 in Philadelphia’s Shibe Park. He went hitless and also struggled in the field. In the next two games in Philadelphia, he also went hitless. Returning to the Polo Grounds for a three-game series against the Boston Braves, Mays hit a home run over the left-field roof against future Hall of Famer Warren Spahn in the first inning. That was his only hit in the series. In the Giants’ next game, against the Pittsburgh Pirates, he went 0-for-5. He was 1-for-26 in his first seven games.

After the game with the Pirates, Mays was found crying in the clubhouse. Coaches Herman Franks and Freddie Fitzsimmons called for Durocher. Mays told Durocher he couldn’t hit big-league pitching and should be sent to the minors. Durocher responded, “As long as I’m the manager of the Giants, you are my center fielder. Tomorrow, next week, next month. You’re here to stay. With your talent, you’re going to get plenty of hits.”7

Durocher also had some advice for Mays about his difficulties at the plate. He had noticed that Mays was turning over his right hand too quickly when swinging, leading to groundballs to the left side. He wanted Mays to take the ball to right field. Finally, he told Mays to pull up his pants as a way to raise his strike zone.8

Durocher also had the following guidance for Mays as he patrolled center field: “You have to catch balls line to line. The ball goes to the left, you gotta be over there. The ball goes to the right, you gotta be over there. Wherever the ball goes in the outfield, you gotta catch it.”9 Buck O’Neil summarized how well Mays pursued fly balls by stating, “While there are players faster than Mays, no one was faster while a fly ball was in the air.”10

In the next game against the Pirates, on June 2, Mays was moved from third in the batting order to eighth. He responded by going 2-for-4 as the Giants won 14-3. Mays then went 13-for-33 in the final nine games of the homestand. There were no further concerns about him at the plate. In addition to his improved hitting, Mays was playing a flawless center field after some misfortune in that first game.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Willie Mays made his debut on May 25, 1951 in Philadelphia’s Shibe Park. He went hitless and also struggled in the field. In the next two games in Philadelphia, he also went hitless. Returning to the Polo Grounds for a three-game series against the Boston Braves, Mays hit a home run over the left-field roof against future Hall of Famer Warren Spahn in the first inning. That was his only hit in the series. In the Giants’ next game, against the Pittsburgh Pirates, he went 0-for-5. He was 1-for-26 in his first seven games.

After the game with the Pirates, Mays was found crying in the clubhouse. Coaches Herman Franks and Freddie Fitzsimmons called for Durocher. Mays told Durocher he couldn’t hit big-league pitching and should be sent to the minors. Durocher responded, “As long as I’m the manager of the Giants, you are my center fielder. Tomorrow, next week, next month. You’re here to stay. With your talent, you’re going to get plenty of hits.”7

Durocher also had some advice for Mays about his difficulties at the plate. He had noticed that Mays was turning over his right hand too quickly when swinging, leading to groundballs to the left side. He wanted Mays to take the ball to right field. Finally, he told Mays to pull up his pants as a way to raise his strike zone.8

Durocher also had the following guidance for Mays as he patrolled center field: “You have to catch balls line to line. The ball goes to the left, you gotta be over there. The ball goes to the right, you gotta be over there. Wherever the ball goes in the outfield, you gotta catch it.”9 Buck O’Neil summarized how well Mays pursued fly balls by stating, “While there are players faster than Mays, no one was faster while a fly ball was in the air.”10

In the next game against the Pirates, on June 2, Mays was moved from third in the batting order to eighth. He responded by going 2-for-4 as the Giants won 14-3. Mays then went 13-for-33 in the final nine games of the homestand. There were no further concerns about him at the plate. In addition to his improved hitting, Mays was playing a flawless center field after some misfortune in that first game.

I remember that from a book I read about Durocher years ago.

4 hours ago, survivedc said:

Have there been a bunch of plays he’s blown that I’ve missed? There were the two pop ups where one was probably not even his ball. Anything else? He’s looked competent on his ground ball chances to me.

It's the soft lobs and poor timing / sense of urgency on throws to first. Timing is off. He's gotten outs but every throw is a nail biter, half step win when it should be a 3-4 step easy out. I get the sentiment. It's easily correctable just hope he corrects it sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, Oriole4Life said:

Anyone else think his timing is off with his stride foot?  That was the first thing I noticed about him, he is lifting it up way too early before the pitcher delivers the ball. 

He’s always done that and lots of others do it too. Gary Sanchez is even more extreme. Elly De La Cruz too. That’s not the problem I don’t think.