Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was listening to the radio pregame show yesterday while driving and almost drove off the road when I heard Melanie Newman say “The St. Louis Cardinals traded for Jackson Holliday…”

The rest of the sentence was “…’s father Matt Holliday on this date in 2009.”

You’re getting a little skittish around the deadline.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/23/2024 at 12:26 PM, webbrick2010 said:

Would be tough to lose Holliday, as 1-1 guys don't happen often.

Especially when we passed on Bobby Witt Jr who is a future (maybe even this year) MVP to draft a catcher who needs to DH 1/3 of the teams games.

So, there is a unicorn catcher that doesn't need to do that? I am as frustrated at him as anyone, but he was a great pick and then we got Gunnar. Excellent catchers are much more rare. 

On 7/23/2024 at 12:26 PM, webbrick2010 said:

Would be tough to lose Holliday, as 1-1 guys don't happen often.

Especially when we passed on Bobby Witt Jr who is a future (maybe even this year) MVP to draft a catcher who needs to DH 1/3 of the teams games.

The O's started winning at a .600 clip as soon as Adley debuted.  It's almost like great catchers are one of the best players to build a team around.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O's started winning at a .600 clip as soon as Adley debuted.  It's almost like great catchers are one of the best players to build a team around.

Obviously there's other talent surrounding Adley, but having a great catcher is a cheat code when it comes to building a winning baseball team.

“Orioles infielder Jackson Holliday has begun playing defense again coming off his IL stint for elbow inflammation. He looks rather rusty and uncomfortable, if not still compromised to some extent. He’s making a lot of routine plays look harder than they need to be, and the quality of his hands has backed up. He also doesn’t look great on offense. He’s less explosive than last year and often late to the contact point. Holliday is inside-outing pitches on the inner third that he was pulling last year; this was the case before the IL stint and has remained so since he has returned.

I’m inclined to give Holliday lots of room to breathe on this stuff (I didn’t give a dinged-up Marcelo Mayer much leeway last year, which looks like the wrong decision now), and he is still performing in a superlative way at Triple-A Norfolk, where he has a 144 wRC+ and nearly 50% hard-hit rate at age 20. But he does look like a 20-year-old lost in a sea of adults, and it’s become tough to make a strong argument for Holliday over James Wood right now. Wood is freakier and is keeping his head above water in the big leagues, and if Holliday’s issues on defense are lasting, then the once large gap between their defensive projections has closed. I don’t suddenly think Holliday is at risk of busting or anything like that, but I can’t have a 70 on him right now. He slides a spot.”

I wonder if he has been injured for most of the season. 
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/hitting-prospects-update-notes-on-the-top-100-bats/

Edited by baltfan

25 minutes ago, baltfan said:

“Orioles infielder Jackson Holliday has begun playing defense again coming off his IL stint for elbow inflammation. He looks rather rusty and uncomfortable, if not still compromised to some extent. He’s making a lot of routine plays look harder than they need to be, and the quality of his hands has backed up. He also doesn’t look great on offense. He’s less explosive than last year and often late to the contact point. Holliday is inside-outing pitches on the inner third that he was pulling last year; this was the case before the IL stint and has remained so since he has returned.

I’m inclined to give Holliday lots of room to breathe on this stuff (I didn’t give a dinged-up Marcelo Mayer much leeway last year, which looks like the wrong decision now), and he is still performing in a superlative way at Triple-A Norfolk, where he has a 144 wRC+ and nearly 50% hard-hit rate at age 20. But he does look like a 20-year-old lost in a sea of adults, and it’s become tough to make a strong argument for Holliday over James Wood right now. Wood is freakier and is keeping his head above water in the big leagues, and if Holliday’s issues on defense are lasting, then the once large gap between their defensive projections has closed. I don’t suddenly think Holliday is at risk of busting or anything like that, but I can’t have a 70 on him right now. He slides a spot.”

I wonder if he has been injured for most of the season. 
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/hitting-prospects-update-notes-on-the-top-100-bats/

Sheesh... I really did not expect to see so many defensive issues with this team this year. This is yet another blow. 

Holliday is probably not ready given the injury and adjustments.  That's ok.  He is 20.   Would go get a Vet INF to platoon with Norby, backup SS and cover the remaining 50 games and (hopefully) the postseason. 

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Norby is now a Miami Marlin. So does Holliday get called up or do they go with Mayo to play 3B and Westbrook at 2B?

Mayo seems like the more logical move given Holliday's recent injury, etc. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, dzorange said:

I don't think Holliday is getting called up again this season.

I tend to agree.  A few months ago I would have thought it guaranteed he'd be back this year, but the injury and his offensive/defensive issues tell me they might keep him at AAA the rest of the season to get back on track and start fresh in spring training.