2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

4 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Westburg went 3-5 with a double and triple three games ago. He’s 0-9 since. That’s hardly a slump that requires  hardly in a ‘reset’. It’s a rest day in the middle of a grueling stretch for a player that goes 110% on every play.  Can’t that just be enough reason?

What was he before the 3-5 game?

34 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Westburg went 3-5 with a double and triple three games ago. He’s 0-9 since. That’s hardly a slump that requires  hardly in a ‘reset’. It’s a rest day in the middle of a grueling stretch for a player that goes 110% on every play.  Can’t that just be enough reason?

It’s not just the 0-9, it’s the defensive miscues too. I think Hyde just wanted him to take a day and regroup before it turns into a real slump.

Hyde gets a lot of flack (me included) for his lineup choices, but I have to say over the last few weeks I feel like he is doing a great job of mixing things up and keeping guys fresh. It helps when most of your options are very good options.

48 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Hyde gets a lot of flack (me included) for his lineup choices, but I have to say over the last few weeks I feel like he is doing a great job of mixing things up and keeping guys fresh. It helps when most of your options are very good options.

Yes. It took underperformance from Hays and Mullins and some injuries, but now that everyone is back healthy it seems he has figured out a way to spread the wealth.  

Not giving up on Hays and Urias has paid off, and he is probably hoping for the same from Mullins. 

Edited by ChuckS

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Late to thread — but to the original post — I think Kimbrel was a decent stand in as a closer while Bautista heals. But I think the Elias plan was based on a blueprint he was required to with with under previous ownership. The Rubenstein Era is starting with a steep learning curve and no one knows if the budget for payroll will grow a little, a lot or not much.  So, I would say the next steps of whatever Elias wants to do, will be based on discussions with DR on what the budget will look like going forward. If no big changes are happening on the money front, then I think we will start to see more trades. The OP critique is reasonable, but seems a bit early and due more to injuries and a five game skid, as the team has played pretty darn good before the last week. I do wish we would hear more from the front office about payroll investment or whatever their near term goals are (I am sure they like being competitive, I hope they want even more). The O’s are a playoff team — but I agree we look a few arms short for a run at the World Series.
    • Worrying in such circumstances is not ridiculous. Expecting a decline without additions is not ridiculous. You just said we need to make additions. “If the Os don’t make one move we CAN still get into the playoffs.” Going from our current 90+% chance of making the playoffs to “can” is a decline. I didn’t say we wouldn’t make October, I said that if we make no acquisitions we would slowly sink and that we wouldn’t maintain our current pace, which is  pretty clear. I’m surprised you think we would.
    • I underestimated his wheels. Aside from the two triples, he had the jets going in center field at one point.
    • Westburg struggles going to his right on balls at 2B and doesn't have the arm strength to make up for it. He has been solid at 3B at this year which always amazes me that when Urias plays 3B, Westburg moves over there unless it's to give him more experience knowing Mayo is coming. I didn't honestly realize how bad Westburg has played at 2B according to both OAA and DRS. Still, I'd move him to 2B and play Mayo at 3B. 
    • Do you believe that Elias had the leeway to sign Montgomery (who has been terrible for ARI) under the awful Scrooge McAngelos?
    • In fairness, Jordan Montgomery with his 5.71 ERA, people might be roasting Elias for that one all the same.
    • I do have questions about Basallo’s progress as a catcher.   By my calculations, the Baysox have allowed 5.68 runs/game when Basallo has caught (25 games), 4.11 runs/game when others have caught.  We know that stats like CERA have a lot of noise in them, especially in a small sample, but 1.57 runs/game is a huge margin.  He’s also committed 4 errors and 4 passed balls in 25 games at C, and has caught only 22% of runners (8/36).   By comparison, Silas Ardoin has started 31 games at C and has only 2 errors and 2 PB, and has caught 40% of runners (16/40).    These are all superficial numbers, but they raise questions in my mind and I’d need someone who watches Basallo a lot and knows how to evaluate catchers to tell me how he rates behind the dish.    
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now