2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

He has looked very slow so it's definitely possible. I believe he's also been held up at 3B twice recently when it seems like he could have scored. 

It's called playing the hot hand also.  If Hays is hot in a few weeks, don't be surprised to see him get a lot more playing time.  Now way he is realeased being owed almost $6 mill and being an All Star last year.  Some people here are crazy.

17 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Maybe.  But it would go against recent standard operating procedure, which is that the proven vets get a very long leash. 

I suspect Hays is hobbled. 

He's not the only one struggling. Mullins and Santander both have an OPS below .650, but you don't see them sitting.  Only Hays.  

True, but Hays is the only one we have an easy replacement for already on the roster.  Even with Mullins and Santander struggling, I don't want to see them replaced by Mateo and O'Hearn.  Mateo isn't good and O'Hearn shouldn't ever see the outfield again. 

• Upvote 1

For the first time I can remember of this new era, I have confidence 1-9 will have competitive at bats. Not everyone is hitting great now obviously, but good/great hitters can still be productive in "slumps".

3 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

True, but Hays is the only one we have an easy replacement for already on the roster.  Even with Mullins and Santander struggling, I don't want to see them replaced by Mateo and O'Hearn.  Mateo isn't good and O'Hearn shouldn't ever see the outfield again. 

Mullins defense in CF makes him an asset especially considering no one else on the active roster is close to matching him defensively. That can change with Enrique Bradfield, but he's still one year or more away.

16 minutes ago, dystopia said:

He’s been the worst qualified hitter in the majors so far. Are we actually complaining that they’re giving Cowser playing time after bitching about not doing so for the first week???

No, not at all.  You are inferring something that I didn't say. 

I was just saying you don't play yourself out of a job in two weeks.  Not as an entrenched starter.  There is more to it than that. 

15 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I think they would be replaced by Cowser, with the rest days being more evenly dispersed between the three outfielders. 

The fact that Hays has been the only one sitting a bunch, makes me think he is not 100 percent.  Maybe I'm wrong. 

Just now, ChuckS said:

I was just saying you don't play yourself out of a job in two weeks.  Not as an entrenched starter.  There is more to it than that. 

Well if Cowser is to get regular at bats, someone else is getting screwed. I prefer it’s the guy with a -34 wRC+ who can’t outrun a hedgehog. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

His struggles do date back to the 2nd half last year, but generally I agree. The issue is we have a lot of good players coming up so these veterans will have more expectations to perform. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Bird Lady said:

He was put in as a pinch runner yesterday.

And screwed up.  On Cedric’s liner to left center he actually took two steps back towards 2nd like he was going to tag.  By the time he realized the ball was in it was too late to score.  Stupid, stupid, stupid baseball.   He’s not going to be able to tag even if the ball is caught.   He should have been halfway and he would have scored easily.