Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

1 minute ago, fansince71 said:

This has to be satire.

Burnes has been putting up close to a 9 ERA for a month and he has lost his ability figure his way out of trouble.  I don't know if he has a tired arm or mentally tired or something is wrong.  At this point, running him out there every 5th day for the same terrible results is stupid.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Burnes has been putting up close to a 9 ERA for a month and he has lost his ability figure his way out of trouble.  I don't know if he has a tired arm or mentally tired or something is wrong.  At this point, running him out there every 5th day for the same terrible results is stupid.

And the alternative is…?

I feel a little bad for the guy because it seems like ever since it was announced his twins were born, he has been pretty awful. Who knows if that has had any impact or not. His next start will be against the CWS, so if he can’t do better then this than it may be over for the season.

42 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Wasn’t able to watch yesterday but it looks like he pitched ok and the defense really let him down? 

Not really.  Ramon made an error on a hard hit ball so most of the runs were unearned. But then he gave up a lot of hard hits after that including a 2 out 3 run Homer.  

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s been a let down at times, but he’s still going to finish top 3 in CYA, and where would we be without him?

I’d do the trade 10/10 times, whatever value we lost in that trade is offset that we added Burnes to a Gunnar/Adley team.  

I think most everyone would do the trade again. The problem is right now they need him to be the pitcher that he was a couple of months ago and he's not. 

I hope there's not an injury or soreness that he's trying to hide because of it being his FA year. He's hurting his value, but I don’t think it'll be enough to drastically reduce his next contract. 

I don’t think he is hurting his value too much.  Is it great to have a month in which he is striking out less than 20% of batters and his ERA estimators (excluding xERA) all start with a 4?  No, but in the arc of a season, a tough month isn’t a huge deal.

Stuff models don’t see any material drop-off from earlier months.  His whiff rate on his cutter is down from 20% in April to below 15% in August.  His secondaries have been barreled up 18% of the time hitters put the ball in play this month.  He has also had some bad sequencing and rough defensive play behind him.  Additionally, he hasn’t helped himself in fielding his position and holding runners.

The biggest risk to his value is probably a downturn in general team sentiment about long term pitcher contracts.  There are only a handful of teams that will pay over $200MM for a pitcher, so if some of those teams trade for Crotchet, sign Snell, tie up money with Soto, etc., than he might not get the deal he is looking for.

"I know, let me throw 6 straight curveballs to one of the best power hitters in the game and we'll see how that works out." 

What a stupid game plan that inning, whether it came from him or McCann or the bench. Ben McDonald was harping on it the whole AB about needing to show him fastball in. Sure enough, he didn't and he got burned.

And the guy seems to fall apart after every stolen base. 

Where did our ace go? 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Let Brandon Young have a couple of starts in his place for the next 2 starts and put Burnes in the bullpen.  Can't be too much worse, because Burnes starts have been almost automatic losses lately.  I don't know if Burnes will have a meltdown if he's sent to the bullpen.

We won 6 straight starts before the last 3 starts it not like it has been months of us just losing.  Last night the defense let him down just as much as him not being able to get that 3rd out.  
 Part of it was he was so good at the start people were expecting that all year.  His numbers this year are not far off last year in fact he has a better ERA this year is about same in whip and better strikeout to walk rate.  The one glaring difference is the base stealing has been much worse this year and every single is turning into double or triple and that puts a lot of pressure on a pitcher.  Then when they stealing he has had a big inning go against him usually with a big hit with two outs that puts up a 3 run inning.  He hasn’t been able to get out of trouble in those innings like he did earlier in the year.  

Burnes is being killed this month by big innings, with most of the damage occurring with two outs.

August 4 vs. CLE:  had given up only 2 ER heading into the 5th.  Gives up a 3 run HR with two outs.  

August 10 vs. TBA:  had given up no runs entering the 5th.  Gives up 3 runs, including two run-scoring doubles with 2 outs.

August 16 vs. BOS:  had given up 4 ER entering the 4th.  Gives up a run-scoring single and a 3-run HR all with 2 outs.  

August 22 vs. HOU:  had given up 2 ER entering the 5th.  Gives up three straight hits with 2 outs, giving up 4 ER.

August 28 vs. LAD:  had given up 1 ER entering 3rd.  Gives up a one-out RBI single and then a 3 run HR with...say it with me...2 outs.  

So that's 5 crooked numbers in five starts, adding up to 18 ER, with 16 of those scoring with 2 outs.

He has become the least clutch pitcher in baseball.  Maybe he needs to read Christy Mathewson's biography Pitching in a Pinch.