Bullpen 2024

If Os implement the 6 man rotation, Hyder needs to (a) let starters occasionally pitch into the 7th, and (b) let guys like Suarez and Akin throw >1 inning in relief. 

Still seems to be the weak area of the team.  The Starting pitching has been fairly consistent overall.  The lineup has had some off nights where they do not score a lot.  But the bullpen concerns me.   I had the misfortune of going to the game Saturday where Grayson Rodriguez went into the 6th allowing no hits, but the offense couldn't do very much.  All 4 relievers got hit around pretty good and we lost (extending my Camden Yards winless streak to 9 :( )

I'm sure a trade or two may be in the future.  Kade Strowd is pitching well in the minors and could be a callup at some point if he keeps pitching well....  To me, the rotation has been a pleasant surprise but the Pen is now the main concern....

54 minutes ago, doccat said:

Still seems to be the weak area of the team.  The Starting pitching has been fairly consistent overall.  The lineup has had some off nights where they do not score a lot.  But the bullpen concerns me.   I had the misfortune of going to the game Saturday where Grayson Rodriguez went into the 6th allowing no hits, but the offense couldn't do very much.  All 4 relievers got hit around pretty good and we lost (extending my Camden Yards winless streak to 9 :( )

I'm sure a trade or two may be in the future.  Kade Strowd is pitching well in the minors and could be a callup at some point if he keeps pitching well....  To me, the rotation has been a pleasant surprise but the Pen is now the main concern....

Why is this organisation "allergic" to Cade Povich, Nick Vespi, or Chace McDermott? all three are better than Cionel Perez who SHOULD have been DFA ahead  of Baumann...

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

Why is this organisation "allergic" to Cade Povich, Nick Vespi, or Chace McDermott? all three are better than Cionel Perez who SHOULD have been DFA ahead  of Baumann...

If you think Vespi is better than Perez, I have a used car I’d like to sell you.   As to the other two, the O’s want to continue to develop them as starters.  

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

I do have to agree with Roy on one thing, and that's that Cio should have been DFA'd first. He doesn't go multiple innings most of the time, he doesn't strike people out anymore, and he can't get out RHP (.891)... he gets a lot of ground balls, but we have a bunch of other guys that do that, too. I don't really understand the appeal. The team is dreaming on his 2022 season, but there's just not a lot of evidence to suggest that kind of production is around the corner.

Meanwhile, Baumann at the very least can go multiple innings and save the bullpen on occasion. Puzzling to me. 

Edited by interloper

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

I do have to agree with Roy on one thing, and that's that Cio should have been DFA'd first. He doesn't go multiple innings most of the time, he doesn't strike people out anymore, and he can't get out RHP (.891)... he gets a lot of ground balls, but we have a bunch of other guys that do that, too. I don't really understand the appeal. The team is dreaming on his 2022 season, but there's just not a lot of evidence to suggest that kind of production is around the corner.

Meanwhile, Baumann at the very least can go multiple innings and save the bullpen on occasion. Puzzling to me. 

I think it is 99% an issue of Baumann being RH.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think it is 99% an issue of Baumann being RH.

Maybe, but we already have Akin and Coulombe, and Irvin was in the pen. But you are right, I'm sure that was a factor since Elias loves to think about matchups. 

Edited by interloper

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If you think Vespi is better than Perez, I have a used car I’d like to sell you.   As to the other two, the O’s want to continue to develop them as starters.  

Perez is Roy's latest whipping boy.  I agree, Vespi isn't great.

59 minutes ago, interloper said:

Meh, I think they’re both pretty replaceable but still trust Perez more. Since the beginning of last year, Perez has a 3.82 ERA, 3.80 FIP, 4.53 xFIP, and has been worth 0.5 WAR in 61.1 innings. Baumann has a 3.69 ERA, 4.41 FIP, 4.77 xFIP, and has been worth 0 WAR in 83 innings. 

I do agree that Baumann being able to go multiple innings is beneficial, but it seemed like half the time they wanted to use him for multiple innings, he couldn’t throw strikes and then his outing ended early. Cionel’s 2022-2023 numbers definitely saved him (2.43 ERA), but he could easily be the next guy dropped from the BP.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Perez is Roy's latest whipping boy.  I agree, Vespi isn't great.

Apparently, Cionel’s dad hasn’t entered Roy’s inner buddy circle.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, interloper said:

Maybe, but we already have Akin and Coulombe, and Irvin was in the pen. But you are right, I'm sure that was a factor since Elias loves to think about matchups. 

Hyde is saying it will be a six man rotation soon so arguably Irvin doesn't count. DFA Perez would have made it 5/2 among the "permanent" bullpen guys. Plus Perez has stretches when he is lights out. If he finds it at the right time he could be a weapon in October. 

Whether it is Juan Soto, Corey Seager or Yordan Alvarez, I think building a pen for the AL playoffs the Cionel guy will win tiebreaks over the Baumann guy this early.

I hope they really get crowded out with multiple strong performers but if July only brings 1 fancy thing, Cionel and Coulombe can start preparing.

If the big 3 starters hold together, even Means and Irvin get smushed to that role.

The lack of swing and miss in the pen if they keep it as is will likely keep this team behind the Yankees. Sure, guys throw groundballs or whatever, but when players can put everything into play, bad things are oft bound to happen. Kimbrel is the only real strikeout pitcher out of the pen.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

15 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Hyde is saying it will be a six man rotation soon so arguably Irvin doesn't count. DFA Perez would have made it 5/2 among the "permanent" bullpen guys. Plus Perez has stretches when he is lights out. If he finds it at the right time he could be a weapon in October. 

I read an article that suggested Baumann was DFA'd because he is more valuable than Perez, could likely be traded, and they'd have more power over where he ends up.  There's a pitching log jam coming, and they'd like to acquire a high-end piece, so they want to start clearing out space and are doing so in an attempt to get value back instead of simply DFAing and losing the player.   

Are there any relievers you feel confident in will come in and always get the job done?

I mean, I know no reliever is 100% but there are guys you always feel confident in.

I don’t think we have that.

I feel confident most of the time about Kimbrel and DC.  Cano?  Sort of. He lets up too much contact for me.

So far this year,I feel like  I’m jealous of every teams BP arms.