Ryan Mountcastle 2024

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

Runs in the playoffs are generally at a premium, you want your best defenders in the game so you don't give away free runs. Mountcastle will be starting in the playoffs.

Is O’Hearn that much worse than Mountcastle at 1B?  I don’t think so. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mountcastle has hit 2 homers since June 7.

His statcast stuff is still solid but it’s down.

Well he had one in 28/30 ballparks earlier in game.  I think that third one in last two weeks or so that were homers in most parks.  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Mountcastle has hit 2 homers since June 7.

His statcast stuff is still solid but it’s down.

He hit two tonight, basically, one to right and one to left. Dude is cursed. 

But you're right, he just isn't hitting them in any park, and when he does hit something far enough it clanks 6 inches from the top of a wall.

Mountcastle never improved his offense. He’s the same hitter that Buck publicly criticized for not getting on base enough. I hope the Orioles start playing Mayo at first every night with the Tides so he’s a more valid/experienced option for next year. 

• Upvote 1

Interestingly, Mountcastle has now played exactly the same number of games as he played last year, and has 3 more PA than last year.  He batted .270 last year and is batting .270 this year.  He had a 117 OPS+ last year, and is at 112 this year, 2 ticks below his 114 career figure.  

He’s been cold of late, but we know he’s capable of turning hot very suddenly.  So, I’m not going to guess what his final numbers will look like.  

• Upvote 1

His career progression reminds me of Trey Mancini a bit.  Obviously Trey's health issues played a role so the comparison is not exact, but Trey reached a high water mark in his 27 year old season.  It's too soon to tell, but it looks like Ryan, may have peaked sooner.  

image.thumb.png.f5758a450a245320c801666e1afd3a17.png

I was working spring training and summer league for the Orioles at the time and the unfounded and uniformed speculation about his work habits and personality traits could not have been further from the truth. Buck's  quote:

“I said, ‘I noticed last year the whole season you walked 17 times. What was that all about?’” Showalter said. “He starts laughing and I said, ‘Understand, it’s not funny. This won’t work.’

Buck was right in his assessment but the public statement and the twisting of that comment while the Orioles were moving him all over the diamond was wrong-he was a 20/21 year old kid intimidated by an older established manager-that was why he laughed.

In my personal experience he was a humble, very likeable, hard working kid and the Buck/Duquette were out of touch with younger players.  The summer league coaching by washed up guys like Milt May was a joke compared to the support the other teams recieved.